“Excellent food and service to match”
Review of The Rice Bowl

The Rice Bowl
Ranked #127 of 2,561 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 18 February 2018

We booked by phone by leaving an answerphone message but when we arrived there was no record of our booking. The lady in charge was also telling people that they were fully booked and would need to wait until at least 9pm for a table. No wonder, the food is amazing! We were shown to a table by the bar and given the first table that became free which was indicative of the excellent service throughout the evening.

We had duck and ribs to start, Mongolian lamb, sweet and sour chicken and sizzling char sui with ginger and spring onions. Portions were generous, taste was superb and the price was very reasonable.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,517)

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Staff are generally great, as is the food. But I am starting to get fed up with the unfriendly, rude and aggressive manageress (Jenny?) who patrols the floor like a rabid bulldog, barking at staff and customers alike.
My wife and I eat here maybe once a fortnight. When we went a couple of weeks ago a waiter showed us to a table by the entrance. I asked for us to sit on the other side of the restaurant which is much warmer, as my wife was recovering from flu. He said no problem and took us to the only vacant 2-seater and asked us to just give him a minute to clean it down. The manageress was over like a shot, barking at us that 'you can't sit there - it hasn't been cleaned! Why don't you just go back to the table by the door?'. I saw red at this point and told her that we wouldn't sit by the door because my wife wasn't well and it is cold by the door, that everything was in hand with the waiter and that this was none of her business. I was just about to tell her to go away and leave us alone when the waiter thankfully returned to clean the table.
I would suggest she stays behind the till counter in future and occupy herself with taking phone bookings as she is clearly incapable of being front of house.

6  Thank adeandyo
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

We booked the rice bowl because of the TA rating and it did not disappoint. The food was best ever and the service excellent. The crispy duck was so tasty and not at all greasy. All our food was very good.
The restaurant is below pavement level and quite cozy

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

nothing lavish or ostentatious about this charming restaurant. just good cooking and service and a quiet place to talk privately. set lunch is very reasonably priced. had my usual which is chicken and sweetcorn soup followed by singapore vermicelli with lashings of soy sauce. perfect.

Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

We made a return visit here for a midweek evening meal, and we are so glad we did.
The food is simply excellent, well served in a comfortable environment.
They have special set menus but we went with the main menu and had a selection from soups, kebab skewers and both lamb & pork main course. All food was very tasty.
We highly recommend The Rice Bowl and we will return soon.