All reviews milk and cookies northern quarter breakfast in bed little touches boutique hotel free prosecco curling tongs ren toiletries espresso martini bluetooth speaker breakfast delivered breakfast bag free netflix free slippers salted caramel earplugs provided great touches
Reviewed 15 September 2018

This hotel is wonderfully located and a short walking distance from the train and bus stations. Jamie on reception is friendly, knowledgeable and efficent. I was shown to my room which was on the ground floor and decorated in a 'plantation' theme with neutral colours, think shades of wood and stone.The bed was supremely comfortable and - a point which is important to me - the linen of good quality. Everything was super-clean and the 'plantation' style shower of good pressure and provided hot water whenever I wanted it. I think the water was heated by some sort of 'eco' method and it does appear that the hotel attempts to be eco-friendly where it can. Ren toiletries were a plus as were the subtly branded extras such as ear plugs (which were not needed) and towelling slippers. The hotel brand was evident but done with style and class. No tacky nonsense here! Breakfast was not to my taste but that provided was well presented with nice coffee and tea. I enjoyed the orange juice too and appreciated the banana but I don't eat brioche and such like - hence 'not to my taste'. I would recommend this hotel without reservation and expect to stay here again soon when I need overnight Manchester accommodation. The bar here too is a world away from most 'hotel bars'; in the absence of the 'usual' barman the owner made me a fabulous cocktail and I would also recommend the bar as a nice place to drink. It is small but friendly - 'solo' females would have no issue here. I hope the Cow Hollow goes from strength to strength - the City needs places like this!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Arachnae
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

Beautifully designed - quirky & compact- in the Northern Quarter of Manchester.
Delightful staff- very attentive & thoughtful. Rooms are designed on a small footprint with high ceilings. They impeccably clean & comfy. Lots of attention has gone into making you feel at home.
A great base to discover Manchester.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jo W
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

Our first visit to Manchester and we were excited at staying somewhere a bit different for a one night stop over.
The hotel is well situated and beautifully presented. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and probably the best experience I have had, hospitality wise in the UK.
Things to improve on:
Bigger bath sheets
Choice of breakfast bag (I don’t like banana and would prefer a danish or croissant to the chocolate roll)
Sadly I would still prefer coffee/ tea on tap in my room
Interior double glazing as we hardly slept
Padding of the wooded bed base as my partner broke his toe on this!
It was still a wonderful place with superb service and ambience and would recommend.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

A great time at The Cow Hollow Hotel. Warm friendly staff greeted us when we arrived following a short walk from the station.

The lovely staff are the hotels greatest asset. On arrival helped us check in and made a nice hot drink plus a little run down of cultural venues across the city including tram info. Very much appreciated.

Cosy Room
Rooms extremely stylish with very comfy bed. Sometimes there is a mismatch between public spaces and rooms but that’s not the case at The Cow Hollow... everything is of a high and consistent design standard.
In the room I loved the translucent blind, blackout blind and shutters on window meant you could get very relaxing light. Netflix and free sparkling water appreciated. Ren products in shower room fab. A little sign notes water pressure might be low and max temp set but the shower was lovely... don’t know who’d want it hotter? Bathroom also has hair dryer & straighteners plus illuminated mirror for makeup etc. There was a sign saying if you forget any essentials let them know... the cleaner must have spotted we were low on tooth paste and another tube appeared!

Expect Some Noise
On booking I was a bit worried about noise as a few people mentioned it.The complimentary ear plugs were a good touch as being in the NQ you’ll definitely hear some people partying... plus the sound of people coming and going on the metal stairs. I don’t know what people expect you’re right in the centre of the city?!

Heart of the City
I really enjoyed the location but don’t think it would suit someone who wanted a more tranquil break. I loved being able to nip round the corner to the Sunday market or to a nearby place to eat.

Even Better If
I’m being picky here only improvements I could wish for would be:
- To have a place to hang clothes (there were three hangers and hook on back of wardrobe). You can borrow an ironing board and iron but we created a bit of a wardrobe out of a chair;
- Either bigger towels, two towels each or a dressing gown;
- Bit more breakfast variety. My boyf got a little bored of identical breakfasts (pain aux chocolate, yoghurt with granola, banana & OJ) but not such a worry that we felt like mentioning it.

Added Extras
We enjoyed the complimentary drink between 6-8pm. We didn’t get the free milk and cookies! Tea and coffee facilities are in the shared space. Good WiFi. Also like that you can order deliveroo to come and staff will bring to your room.

Would we recommend?
I’d say this is ideal for couples who enjoy getting out and about but having somewhere snug to return to after a day/evening exploring the incredibly friendly city of Manchester. This was our main getaway this year and part of my birthday celebrations. Certainly feel like I’ve created some special memories

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EKvisualartist
Reviewed 13 September 2018

The hotel has a very luxurious feel and excellent service to go with it. The added touches are fun but I feel the quality isn't really reflected in the price we paid for one night. For £200 a night I expected a bigger room, ours was very small, and I was told on leaving that because we booked through a partner site and not directly with the hotel that we didn't get the best room that could've been available. This is a real shame as it really let our stay down.

Another thing to mention is the noise. Due to the fantastic location in the heart of the Northern Quarter, you can't escape that it is rather noisy. Our room was on the ground floor which is actually below foot traffic level outside, therefore we could hear everybody that walked past our open window (it was a warm room, probably due to the small size, and there was no air con). They do provide earplugs but you should expect a level of noise.

One of my favourite touches was the 'help yourself' coffee bar on the ground floor. The coffee was really good and they also offer various speciality teas and flavours of hot chocolate. The breakfast in bed is also a real treat. The contents are basic but actually very good quality and the hamper style delivery to your room is lovely.

The staff were all really lovely, welcoming and friendly. You can't fault the service. We forgot our toothbrushes and they provided us with some, along with a selection of small toiletries like a face mask and moisturiser.

I would stay there again, but probably only on a weeknight as it's half the price but the same service. I would also sacrifice the discount I received from the partner site and book directly with the hotel to ensure I got a room big enough to swing a cat in...if I wanted to.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel if you can as you get a better quality room
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple