US$248
Priceline
US$165
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$206
Cancelon
1,453 results
All reviewsroof terracehot tubafternoon teagrand roommezzanine flooroyster barroll top bathgjs hotelsplit levellate availabilityconverted schoolcoronation street setwedding venuegranada studiosbeautiful hotelsmall hotelmain bar
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Stayed here over the bank holiday weekend. I was really excited to stay here but left feeling very underwhelmed and a bit short changed!

When arriving, we were met by an exceptional host, an American lady, who went out of her way to be helpful and friendly. She took our bags as our room wasn't ready and showed us to the bar, instructed the bar staff to grab us a drink and that we would like a bite to eat. So far so good. She really is a credit to your team.

The bar staff were quite frosty, not a single smile between the three of them. We were shown to our seats and given some menus. I fancied a sandwich but there was nothing to my tastes, however having sandwiches with cucumber and cream cheese in them, I figured I could ask for a cucumber and cream cheese sandwich without any problems, especially at £9! This was met with a look of disdain and a reply of "well I'll have to go and check with the chef if he can do that" and then she walked off... 15 minutes later, a lovely cucumber and cream cheese sandwich arrived. I'm not really sure what the problem was, but thanks to the chef for accommodating such an awkward request from myself.

Once we got to our room, my excitement at the split level rooms with floor to ceiling windows soon turned to disappointment. The bathroom was superb. Free standing bath, walk in shower, lovely fluffy towels. Fantastic. Although the heated towel rail wasn't working but never mind. The decor of the room was very tired though. Tacky purple curtains with a number of dubious stains on them. A velvet bed spread. Purple bedsides that had been scratched and scuffed. And for the bed itself, a standard double. When being used to a kingsize, it made sleeping rather uncomfortable.

I paid £170 for the room for one night, breakfast wasn't included. We both fancied pancakes in the morning, but refused to pay £36 plus service charge for them. I got the room "cheap" as it was a last minute booking, had I paid full price, it would be £270. It was also very annoying to have to keep paying 10% service charge every time we ordered so much as a coke from the bar. The only people we came in contact with that we felt worthy of service charge was the American lady at front desk and the African gent who delivered our bags and said goodbye to us as we were leaving, both genuine and very friendly.

I feel like maybe 10 years ago, this hotel would of been amazing. However it's just stood still and the price doesn't reflect the quality or service (or rather lack of). A facelift and a reality check would really help this place, there are far better places to stay in Manchester for better value, including GJS sister hotel, King Street Townhouse. This place seriously lets down the Eclectic brand.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Drama87
MacKenzie S, Deputy General Manager at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Dear Drama,

Thank you for taking the time to post your most recent review of your stay. I truly apologise that the hotel fell short of your expectations in certain areas. However, in spite of all that, I thank you for the praise that you've given to a few members of our team - I will ensure that the compliments are passed on.

I would like to the chance to discuss your stay further with you. If you could email me at your convenience, my details are: msherlock@eclectichotels.com.

I welcome the chance to discuss this further and to make it right for you.

All the best,

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed over just 1 night as a birthday treat. Lovely warm welcome and unexpected upgrade to a suite. Room absolutely beautiful as us the hotel. Has drinks on rooftop terrace, lovely and relaxing stay. We didn't have any food so can't comment on that. Very well stocked mini bar. Would definitely return!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
MacKenzie S, Deputy General Manager at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2017

Dear Alison,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. We hope you enjoyed your birthday getaway with us! I'm happy that you felt comfortable whilst staying here and we are able to take advantage of several of our services.

Please don't be a stranger and we look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Having had our wedding at Great John Street hotel this time last year, where better to celebrate our 1st year anniversary.

We absolute love this hotel. The rooms are stunning and the attentive staff made us feel right at home.

We'll be back again next year.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi Ben,

First of all, happy anniversary to both you and your wife. It was a pleasure to meet you on this, your most recent, return trip. Secondly, I thank you for taking the time to review your visit and I am so glad that you were well looked after. We look forward to seeing you again next year but would love to welcome the two of you back much sooner than that - perhaps for an Afternoon Tea?

Reviewed 20 August 2017

My husband treated me to a weekend away to celebrate my 30th birthday to say we picked the perfect hotel is an utter understatement.. We were a bit apprehensive about booking such a high class expensive hotel for the worry of feeling out of place unworthy of being there and looked down upon by the staff and other guests but I can say that the total opposite is true all the staff made us feel so welcome and ensured that my 30th birthday getaway was unforgettable and perfect in every way. Now it is not easy for us to pick hotels especially if we have not previously attended there because of my needs however they answered any questions we had over the phone before we finally booked. we stayed in room 12 which is one of there suits and the only room that is accessible for anybody that uses a wheelchair via the back door to the room on the mesenine level. from the minute we arrived the staff were amazing they had reserved a space in the packing garage for the duration of our stay even though they had at least 4 weddings in the 3 days we were there. There is a good quality ramp into the hotel entrance where you check in all our luggage was taken upon arrival to our room and we were personally shown to our room which was up in the lift to the mesenine level then through a door directly to the right as you exit the lift then another door which is where the accessible entrance to room 12 is. The room is beautiful perfect with plenty of space for my wheelchair to access everything in the room and a wet room with a floor level shower with a seat that can be used in the shower which is a god send however there is also a massive case iron roll top bath in the bedroom that is designed to easily fit 2 people. We were greeted by slates with rocky road and amazing shortbread with happy 30th birthday on. The hotel is a 2 minute walk from a lot of local very good restaurants and is a 10 minute walk to Manchester city centre(arndale/printworks) the breakfasts are out of this world I know you see the price and think is it really worth it I can 100% say that they are there is pretty much anything you could want even freshly made smoothies I had American pancakes I could not finish the 2 skillet size pancakes that arrived with syrup and fruit compote I'm so glad that we decided to have breakfast after arriving back from a long day in the city centre we ordered room service they take all allergies and intolerances in their stride because everything is freshly made from scratch I had chicken butternut squash and pine nut creamy pasta which was heavenly and reasonably priced for any hotel I haver had the best cocktail I have ever had in this country whilst at Great John street which is the black lady. I can not praise the staff enough nothing was too much trouble even though they had at least 4 weddings in the 3 days we were there the Manager is amazing she is constantly finding ways to keep up with the competition and give guests the best possible she made us feel very welcome and asked if there was anything they could do to improve the stay for disabled guests by either changing the way they do things or implementing new things I have to say I found this very refreshing as most places do the bare minimum to meet government guidelines then show little to no consideration for disabled guests as we make up such a small percentage of customers they are not bothered if they loose your custom whereas Great John Street want to make sure anyone staying there has the best stay and would stay with them again which we definitely would. I can truly say it is the little touches that make all the difference great John Street go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable and as perfect as it can be. Truly made my 30th Birthday unforgettable but for all the right reasons

Room Tip: accessable room is 12 however if they have a function in the downstairs bar you hear the music but it doesnot go on past 11.30 - midnight
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becca_jwh22
MacKenzie S, Deputy General Manager at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Hi Becca,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. First off, happy belated birthday!! I'm delighted that you and your husband chose our hotel to mark such a special birthday. I'm truly pleased that the rest of the team looked after you so carefully and that you were able to take advantage of many of the hotel's amenities during your brief visit.

We hope that you'll come back and visit us again soon. Don't be a stranger!

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

On arrival in the hotel there was no acknowledgement , after being served at the bar for a espresso martini and a glass of wine (price of £17) I wasn't happy with the espresso martini as the woman behind the bar was in experienced in cocktail making clearly ... after explaining I wasn't happy with the cocktail I was confronted with a bad attitude and she continued to make another exactly the same after I told her it was incorrect , both cocktails were weak (coffee) and too sweet and under poured , the blonde woman behind the bar needs more experience with cocktail making and customer service as there was no apology or explanation just attitude , I left , leaving the drink on the table and do not intend to visit again. As I work in the industry, if I acted this way I would no longer have a job so don't expect it from anywhere else

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Scott L
MacKenzie S, Deputy General Manager at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Scott L.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our Oyster Bar. I'm deeply sorry that your expectations were not met on this most recent visit.

We work very hard to ensure that our staff is trained on proper service etiquette and it appears that given this instance, retraining is to be considered. Barring that, the service you were given is unequivocally unacceptable and an exception to our 'norm'.

I would kindly request that yo contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss the details of your experience in more detail. My email address is msherlock@eclectichotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.