“Lovely when quiet”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 May 2018

We attended here in April for our daughter's birthday. This was the first time we'd attended although our daughter and her OH have been here a couple of times and felt the food wasn't as good as previously.
The restaurant has a little bar area off the main restaurant area. The restaurant area
isn't massive but it's not cramped and you don't feel like your sitting on top of other diners.

We all enjoyed our meals, the service was good and the staff were friendly.
They had live music for part of the evening which was a nice touch.

I would definitely return my only complaint was that when I went to use the women's toilets the doors to the toilets appeared to be made from old floor boards and you had a clear view of the toilet. Perhaps some wood filler might come in handy.

Reviewed 9 May 2018

Picture the scene: Bank Holday weekend, warmest day of the year. What better way to while away a couple of hours than having a few drinks by the canal at a nice bar? Myself and my wife were visiting our daughter and we decided to do just that, having done battle with the heat and the crowds in Manchester city centre.

It looked promising when we arrived. Yes it was quite busy but we soon found an outdoor table and I set off to buy a round. There was an outdoor bar which was an excellent idea. The bar person was cleaning and there was no queue. It soon became apparent that there was a reason for this. They had closed it. Loads and loads of potential customers and they closed the bar serving the outdoor area. Brilliant.

I headed to the indoor bar. The queue was massive. Patiently I waited. And waited. Moaning to my daughter and other potential customers about the questionable management decision regarding the outdoor bar. We did, however, all agree that said bar was splendinly clean and appealing. It was certainly uncontaminated by drinks.

When I eventually arrived at the bar 2 people were serving. There were others but they seemed only to be milling around like early Christians in a Cecille B. De Mille movie. I noticed a sign over the bar that card transactions less than £10 would be subject to a charge. This is, of course, now illegal.

I bought the round and noted that the food was being distributed on an assortment of wooden boards, cute little buckets etc. Plates seemed to be deemed unfashionable. I know it is a personal thing but what is wrong with plates? At least one customer agreed, sending hers back to be put on one! Bravo!

There was a party of around 10 who were shown into the restaurant, smartly followed by the manager announcing that he had a couple of parties in so no food would be served after 6.30. Remember this is the hottest day of the year so far and customers were hoping to eat.

Predictably the place was emptying very efficiently. Not so, however, the queue for drinks. Four times I went to replenish my glass and four times I gave up on the idea. As for food, we opted for the chippy just up the road.

How much money did the place lose purely and simply because of the appalling management strategy? To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. The whole operation reminded me of an exercise on The Apprentice. So much potential but a complete disaster on my visit. Terrible experience.

1  Thank Mick F
Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

Have eaten at Crompton’s at the Waterside a number of times and have always enjoyed their fare. Took our friend from Australia there tonight and although there was nothing wrong with our food, it didn’t seem to be up to the standards that I’d experienced before.

We stared with a couple of cocktails which were very good and our starters were also very good. I had the ‘Ginsecco’ mussels which were delicious and between us we also had the scallops, the pâté and goats cheese and Parma ham - all were really tasty. However, there was a slight lack of attention to detail with the mussels as some of them still had their beards and there were broken shells which was very unwelcome when mopping up the delicious sauce with my crusty bread.

Our main issues were with our main courses. I had the ribeye steak, two people had the bacon and blue cheese burgers and the final choice was the steak and Guinness and pie. All food was tasty enough but could have been cooked a little better i.e. burgers were verging on being dry. The steak was served on a stone which was sizzlingly hot and that cooked the steak; great food theatre but you had virtually no control over the cooking of the steak as there was no room on the table for a plate to place your steak on once the steak was cooked to your liking (all dishes bar one were served on big slabs of chopping board). I’d have much preferred the chef to cook my steak medium rare and then served on a plate (shock horror!). These weren’t massive issues - the food was still decent but could have been so much better.

The restaurant had some live singers on during our meal tonight, they were pretty good, but a little loud. The sort of thing I would expect in a pub but not really an eating place like that (at least not until later - we were eating at 7.30). We found it difficult to chat with each other as we were sat right in front of the artistes.

I will definitely be back here as it is one of my favourite places to eat outside of Manchester City Centre, just feel that I didn’t get it at its best tonight.

Reviewed 4 May 2018

Went here for dinner tonight with friends. The place was busy, and unfortunately noisy thanks to the "entertainment" singing a few metres away from our table, with an amplifier, of course. Very difficult to have a conversation without shouting.
The food was a bit of a let down, too. The onion rings were greasy and a bit flavourless, and the burger was pretty sad: the meat patty was overcooked and dry with an untoasted bun, and the sauces were on the side of the burger, rather than in it.
All in all, a bit disappointing. I won't be coming back.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

After being told about here from work colleagues, I treated my husband and son to lunch.
The food is cooked to order, and is beautiful!! My mouth is watering just re-thinking about it!
There is a large outdoor area where you can eat and drink in slightly warmer weather than what had... and inside is nice and cosy.
No faults at all could be found, really a must for any occasion, family, friends, date nights!!
Will definitely be back... 10/10!! Loved it!!