“Great place for that late night vindaloo (and other Indian specialties of course)...”
Review of Spice Lounge

Spice Lounge
Ranked #205 of 2,470 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2015

After a boozy afternoon and evening watching World Cup rugby in Manchester we began to get peckish. Having endured the route march away from the Etihad stadium with the best part of 50.000 rugby fans we got talking to some felllow fans who lived locally about their suggestion for a great place for a late night curry. They recommended without hesitation the Spice Lounge on Shudehill. So that's where we headed.

My partner in crime on that evening rang ahead to book a table. On arrival we were pleased to see that the place was doing a brisk trade even though it was well past 11 in the evening. The doorman was kitted out in full ceremonial Indian regalia which was a nice touch, if rather over the top. We were brought to our seats but I was in pretty desperate need of a leak which gave me the chance to inspect the toilets down in the basement reached by a very sparkly staircase - not so easily negotiable after one too many beers earlier in the evening. But I can happily report that the toilets were clean.

On returning to our table I realised that I would only be able to reach my seat by climbing over fellow guests. The temptation was high but we opted for a more sensible idea of re-tabling (is that a word?) to another part of the restaurant which we could both get to easily without having obtained any mountaining certificates.

By this time my dining partner had already ordered papadums and relishes and water... water??? Ughhh... We addressed this oversight by ordering a nice chilled bottle of New Zealand "Waddling Duck" (Sauvignon Blanc) which was delicious.

Our meal comprised a shared starter of two large onion bhajees followed by a decently spicy chicken vindaloo for me and butter chicken for my dining partner. We shared pilau rice and a garlic nan bread having decided to throw caution to the wind.

Service throughout was very friendly and efficient. Given that the time was nearing midnight I was genuinely surprised how many diners were still chomping their way through their meals.

We left fully satisfied and really pleased that our chance encounter with some locals in the march down from the rugby had paid off so well.

1  Thank Eyekaytoo

Reviewed 12 October 2015 via mobile

Visited on a Sunday evening so service was quick. A bit too quick as we had barely finished starters before our mains were bought out which suggested they'd already been prepared and kept warm. My fish jalfrezi was ok but oddly the cod was battered and had got soggy in the sauce. Nicely spicy though. My partner's lamb pathia acceptable but again nothing special. Bill would have been reasonable apart from the extortionate price for drinks £4.95 for a dry martini and lemonade! In our pub it would cost £3.15.

1  Thank Lisavj
Reviewed 5 October 2015

Recommended by the desk clerk at the hotel and he was not wrong. The servers were helpful and attentive and the food was excellent. We went for Vindaloo and the next step up in hot.. and it was. Well done. The server did seem surprised when we took his recommendation. I guess he's not asked very often what he thinks. Anyway, great meal when we need some quick, easy spice!

Reviewed 23 September 2015 via mobile

Had a top curry here with 2 work colleagues while in town and everyone really happy with their curries. Would return again no issues at all.

Reviewed 20 September 2015

we had heard good things about the restaraunt but only had chance to get a take away. it was tasty with decent size portions. can't comment on service as not applicable.