Didsbury House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$131
US$119
  • Room Service
US$169
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Princess St. Hotel(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$61
  • Free Internet
US$98
  • Free Internet
Travelodge Manchester Upper Brook Street(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$54
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
All reviewsroll top bathsister hoteleclectic villaexclusive usevilla roomwedding venuesouth manchesterwonderful weddingbeautiful hotelfree standing bathmonsoon showerlovely boutiquesky tvbreakfast roomboutique hotelwedding nightbreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 March 2015

I had been assured of a nice room on the top floor but when we arrived mid-afternoon this had been given to someone else and we were shown to a ground floor room. When I complained we were upgraded to a duplex room upstairs. A reasonable compromise but we would have preferred a less quirky room with a normal bathroom on the same level, as booked. The staff at reception were grumpy and did not apologise for the inconvenience to us. The bed was very comfortable but storage for clothes was not generous and having the loo right next to the bed and the shower and bath on the open upstairs mezzanine was not great. Neither was the narrow tall window which made the room rather claustrophobic. We ordered room service. The salads were excellent but no one came later that evening to remove the tray and it was still there after the room was cleaned in the morning so we had to ask for it to be removed. The breakfast room in the basement is dark and small. The advertised buffet breakfast was not what we would have expected at an expensive hotel. The orange juice was disgusting, there was no bread at all on display and very little else to choose from. The tea was weak and tepid and we had to beg for toast. On a better note the cooked breakfast dishes were good and arrived promptly. All in all we thought at close to £200 a night with breakfast this was an expensive and not very pleasant experience. A revamp of the breakfast concept is needed as well as more professional staff.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MFLOxford
Andrew H, General Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we value all feedback given.
We have 3 rooms on our top floor, a Villa room that you booked and 2 suites, when the in house guest wanted to extend their stay we did not want to inconvenience them by moving them. We always do our utmost to help with guests requests but on this occasion we acted to cause the minimum amount of disruption to the in house guest . The only other room of the type you booked was indeed on the ground floor so I’m sorry to hear the complimentary upgrade to our popular Duplex Room on the first floor wasn’t to your liking. The images of the room on our website with full height ceilings, staircase up to the mezzanine can be viewed for future bookers to see . I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your room service, and had you left the tray outside you room we would have collected it.
Our Breakfast Buffet is available to our guests with a selection of juices, fruits, cereals, nuts, yoghurts, croissants and muffins. Tea is served in pots so that guests can chose to brew it to their liking, and we have additional continental items on our breakfast menus. Our team are always happy to accommodate special requests. We aim to offer a high standard on breakfast, as acknowledged in other reviews, so I’m sorry to hear if it fell below you expectations.
Kind regards

Reviewed 11 March 2015 via mobile

Can only say that this place was superb in every way. Helpful staff, fabulous location and great rooms. Its a gem of a hotel and great value for money. I must say mind my sat nav wasnt a fan as it couldnt find the place.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew F

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review for us.
I'm glad you enjoyed the wedding and have great memories of the day.
Warm regards

Reviewed 9 March 2015

We enjoy this hotel with it's quirky 'eclectic' decor - a fascinating re-vamp of a beautiful old Didsbury House. Our room was a spacious duplex. The atmosphere is relaxed and staff were very pleasant and helpful.The bed was wonderfully comfortable, and there was lots of hot water and nice big towels to make the big in-room bath enjoyable.
Breakfast was good. Well made from good fresh produce. Things that would have improved our experience? - We would have liked to have a cafetiere of coffee at our table rather than having to ask for another cupful each time, and it would have been nice to have proper coffee, not instant, in our room. And the breakfast room chairs really, really need to have noise reducing pads put on the feet!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny282014
Andrew H, General Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and you were received by pleasant and helpful staff.
Thank you also for the comments for improvement you left, I appreciate all feedback given.
Hopefully we get to welcome you back soon.
Warm Regards

Reviewed 7 March 2015

My boyfriend booked this hotel as a surprise for my birthday. We arrived at the hotel to a very warm welcome from the lovely man at reception- very sorry we did not catch his name! He went above and beyond, even recommending local restaurants for a dinner reservation. As it was a special birthday stay, the hotel upgraded us to the boudoir suite upon arrival. Needless to say, this was a great first impression of the hotel and staff!

Although the room was not ready when we arrived (we were a little early for check in), we only waited a very short while in the beautiful and comfy lounge before the man from reception personally showed us to our room and acquainted us with all the facilities available in it. This was a fantastic touch. The room was amazing, with a separate lounge, bedroom and bathroom with huge roll top bath and walk in rain shower. The most yummy homemade chocolate truffles were left on the coffee table in the lounge along with a birthday note- very thoughtful of the hotel.

All in all the best night's sleep I have ever had in a hotel, the room was so comfortable and quiet. Not woken up in the morning by the usual noise from maids cleaning rooms etc... Even slept in and checked out slightly late!

Thank you so much to all of the staff at Didsbury House for going the extra mile to make my birthday so special and memorable. I didn't want to leave and already looking forward to returning for another occasion!

Room Tip: The Boudoir Suite was the most amazing room and it is well worth upgrading to a more expensive room if your budget will allow!
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank simpson6239

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.
I'm glad we were able to make your birthday surprise stay so special.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next special occasion.
Kind regards

Reviewed 1 March 2015

My partner and I stayed for one night during February for his birthday. We'd lived in the area for a few years so knew of the hotel. The hotel itself is aesthetically pleasing and in a great location for exploring Didsbury or Manchester/ Cheshire areas.

The staff on the whole were friendly and welcoming and the room overall, a classic, was elegant and homely. The bath was large enough for 2 people to fit comfortably and the shower a delight. The bed was also well sized and comfortable and the in room entertainment was as you would expect from this standard of hotel.

However, there were a few niggles. Firstly, upon arrival there were no towels in the room (which I did not realise until I needed a hand towel after using the sink). The room also lacks a full length mirror (an essential in my opinion) as well as tea/ coffee making facilities. The room also lacked adequate soundproofing. We could hear anybody walking past the room (of which it's the main route to reception) and it led me to feel insecure due to minimal locking systems on the doors. I did not eat at the hotel (as we had dinner reservations at a local restaurant and I felt the breakfast was overpriced) but we did have some drinks at the bar. If I was to be picky, my white wine was served in a red wine glass and was not to my palette. Although I mentioned on booking that it was my husbands birthday, not even a reference was made about it during our whole stay (we go away every year and this is the first time that this has been the case).

Overall, the hotel is beautiful, rooms comfortable and staff friendly and I probably would stay again, but not at full cost unless the above was addressed.

• Stayed: February 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a response, we appreciate all feedback from our valued guests.
I’m happy you found the bedroom to your liking and you had a warm and friendly welcome.

The niggles that you mention do concern me, as we provide towels in all of our bedrooms and if this was an oversight by our housekeepers then I must apologise. Each bedroom has tea and coffee making facilities located in the cabinet in your room and fresh milk is located in the minibar . With regards to bedroom security every room has a British standard thumb turn dead lock, these are standard in almost every hotel offering security whilst also providing easy exit in the unlikely event of an emergency. Our red and white glasses are exactly the same shape and design with the red being marginally larger. I am sorry other guests disturbed you, we always hope that guests are respectful that other people may be resting as they move around the hotel.
I am sorry nobody wished your husband a happy birthday as we would have done so had we known.

I do hope you visit us again, as we would look forward to welcoming you back