“Brialliant museum, very family friendly”

Manchester Art Gallery
Ranked #8 of 188 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: From our historical collections to international contemporary art, we aim to bring fresh perspectives, encourage conversation and spark debate. Explore our collections of fine art, spanning six centuries and including many major modern and contemporary pieces. We are famous for 19th century British paintings, particularly our outstanding collection of Pre-Raphaelite works. Our decorative arts collections showcase the artistry, tastes and techniques of every era and culture, from ancient civilizations to today’s designer makers. Our collections of ceramics, silver, glass, furniture and costume are especially fine. We constantly renew and update our collections displays so you should discover something new every time you visit. And, we're free to visit!
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Well set out museum with some gorgeous Pre-Raphaelite art and a lovely cafe. Very family friendly.

There are newer reviews for Manchester Art Gallery

Reviewed 2 January 2012

Excellent gallery with some great paintings epecially the Lowry's and Pre-Raphaelites

Reviewed 29 December 2011

I don't get over to Manchester as much as I should - it's a thriving city with a great atmosphere. The first time that I tried to visit Manchester Art Gallery was years ago, when it was closed for refurbishment, but it has been well worth the wait.

Here is a very brief selection of things that interested me - I hope to get back there very soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2011

The art gallery is one of my most favourite venues when visiting Manchester.
We went on my birthday to see my favourite painting which is Drapers The Waterbaby, sadly it's in storage and has been for 10 years. The staff were great and even looked up the painting for me on the computer!!
The artwork is varied and enjoyable.
The cafe makes the best cup of tea in Manchester!!
The gallery shop is very nice too.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

I love Manchester Art Gallery and I wasn't disappointed with the exhibition. Well displayed and plenty of room to see the paintings and drawings at their best with good explanatory notes.
Excellent cafe as well.