New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Bistro West 156
Ranked #55 of 2,136 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$10 - US$38
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bistro West 156 restaurant is a shining star in the thriving restaurant scene on Burton Road in Manchester���s West Didsbury, a quirky corner that���s a foodie heaven not all that far from where the M60 and the M56 part company. Bistro West 156���s pocket-friendly traditional cooking cuts out all the malarkey to deliver modern British cuisine, the real food that loyal fans adore. The rustic dining room with its granite topped tables, blackboard specials and changing local art displays sets a relaxed tone for easy lunches and suppers. While the food may be fine dining level, the ambience is bistro informal from terrific breakfasts right through to the last sip of dessert wine. Everything is homemade, and customer favourites include superbly cooked comfort classics like fish pie, chicken Kiev and Bistro West 156���s very own melting chocolate pudding. You will succumb. The warm welcome and tables outside entice you to linger.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food, bargain price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

My boyfriend and I visited on March 20th. It was quiet when we arrived (we arrived fairly early) but full by the time we left and its easy to see why.

The service was perfect, friendly but genuine, attentive but not overbearing. When we first arrived there was one lady juggling all the tables and making drinks etc in the back but she did a good job, we never once felt ignored or overlooked.

The food was absolutely delicious, honestly, we both agreed it possibly the best meal we'd ever ate. I had the squid to start, my bf had cheese souffle - both were delicious (my squid was better though!) . The squid was just so full of flavor, the batter was perfect- crisp and light and not greasy, I'm actually hungry just thinking about now! For mains my bf had the seabass with risotto and prawns, there are no words to describe how perfect that meal was! (he let me try it), everything was cooked and seasoned perfectly again the batter on the prawns was crisp and light. He won the ordering on that one! My duck in orange sauce was still nice though, but to be fair it was incomparable to his.

I don't think it would be fair to give a full review on my duck because when our waitress asked how I'd like it cooked I said medium well, I know ducks best served a little pink but I just can't bear pink meat! But the chef still did a good job! The potatoes were also yummy! We couldn't order dessert because we were so full, portions are generous.

The surroundings are welcoming, homely and warm, you feel as you're dining in someones front room, which isn't a bad thing, it adds to the charm. You aren't going to be wowed by the decor but perhaps they why they try so hard with the food and service, the areas which really count! I liked the way you could see into the kitchen, gives you more confidence in the food prep, I've worked in restaurants for years so I can be a bit funny about food prep and cleanliness etc. It got a little loud towards the end of the evening, but its a small place so its to be expected, it wasn't to point where we couldnt have a conversation etc so it never really bothered us.

My only gripe would be the toilets, when we visited the ladies were out of order and the facilities could do with a bit of a refurb. But then as an independent business its understandable that they may not be able to do this I guess. Maybe a quick spruce, new toilet seat etc. Oh and disposble paper hand towels would be a plus! Thinking about the amount of bacteria on the two hand towels hanging in the bathroom really made me cringe. But these are just minor points, easily fixed. Overall the place really exceeded expectations, would 100% visit again, and so reasonably priced too!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Manchester
“A genuinely good Bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I went here on Saturday night with my fiance, dad and step mum. I initally tried to book about 4 other places in South Manchester and Bistro West 156 was my last attempt, purely because I hadn't been there before. They managed to squeeze us in and we were all really glad we ended up there because the whole experience was fantastic. It is a lovely little place with a really buzzing atmoshphere and the food was just as it should be - really good food done well. It was a bit on the loud side, but it was a Saturday night and there were 3 seperate all girl groups there which I think had something to do with it! Thank you for a great night and we will definately be back!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank elm26mle
“lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Really lovely fresh food! Service is great and they know a lot about the menu. We were recommended super wine. We even went back for brunch the next day!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank lucy h
“Brilliant place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Having already heard good things from friends we were expecting a lot and to be quite honest we were not disappointed! We took advantage of a weekday evening offer of 3 courses for £20. There was a good selection of vegetarian dishes and I was delighted to see that ALL dishes were included in the offer.
The service was prompt, friendly, knowledgeable and not in the least overbearing. We will come again, sooner rather than later.

• Visited February 2012
Cheshire
“Little Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Only booked after the reviews on tripadvisor and so glad I did what a find amazing food with great service all in all a must defiantly visiting again :)