“Needs a facelift”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #43 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 25 January 2018

We took advantage of the mix it deal from Malmaison which was room, 2 cocktails and 3 course dinner for 2 for £129 which is amazing value.
The Staff were very nice and we decided to upgrade to a superior room. The room was a little tired looking but acceptable, comfortable bed but the issue was the following morning when the cold tap in the shower didn't work so we couldn't use the shower ! When we complained on check out the receptionist didn't charge for the upgrade because of the problem but still we would have preferred a working shower.

The bar was great extremely busy pre dinner but was grossly understaffed and it was very difficult to get served, there were only 2 staff trying to serve both the customers and also the drinks for the restaurant, Crazy.
The food in the brasserie was exceptional but service a little slow again due to understaffing .
Despite everything we cant complain too much because the deal we got was fantastic.
Its a real shame to see this group of hotels fall below the early standards they set themselves there are obviously financial issues and lack of needed investment.

Room Tip: Standard rooms arent great and quite small
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,672)

Reviewed 25 January 2018

I went to Manchester to go to a football game (Soccer to you Americans), watching Liverpool and Manchester City. I stayed with my brother in-law at the Malmaison. The first I want to say is that after having a week of going to PMP course I was dead tired so just wanted food and bed, but the reception staff was so cute and funny we ended up standing chatting for 45 minutes and well beyond our check in. The lovely girls behind the desk really emphasis what I love with Malmaison, its a real hotel for real people with real people working there.

Through the long weekend the hotel staff were super, and especially the reception girls of course but generally real people and good people working there. The cleaners are great, happy and positive and say good morning and evening guv. The bar and restaurant servers and bartenders all saying hello and smiling, not that glued on American smile you can get but bubbly and happy English hello. It was great, and as a naturalised brit returning "home" I felt right away at home.

Price was also pretty good, middle centre and high quality rooms with super clean facilities I wasn't turned off by £269 for three nights with full English breakfast and WIFI, superiors double room. Good price performance for sure.

I never sleep well at hotels, especially the bed quality kills me and the pillow situation is not to my taste for most times BUT here I slept like a baby and its long since I slept sop well. Great beds, great pillows, great climates control and no noice levels at all. I am very demanding in sleep quality and this is top up there with the four seasons standard on sleep level.

Food, breakfast was okay too, I say okay not good but wholly okay. Yes, coffee was weak and thin, yes the coffee was cold and yes the chef could for sure not make an omelette.....ohhh dear.....but it tasted okay, not bad in any way.

I will go back, that is certain and I will if nothing else for the super ladies in the reception welcoming and being so fricken nice every little piddle question I had. Of course my piddly questions were designed to just get something to chat about with them, but hey......what dont you do for a great weekend when your favourite football team loses. Ughhhhh.

Room Tip: Go for a superiors double room, good space and super facilities.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2018

Our room was ok, bit dark, and no TV remote, but nice decorated, the receptionists were helpful and quick. We only had breakfast in the hotel, there were 11 of us for breakfast and the service was a bit chaotic, very slow, and one waitress struggled with English, which made it difficult to ask for simple things such as more milk - some of our party waited too long to order hot breakfast - the usual continental breakfast was self serve so that was ok. - Good location and reasonable cost

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2018

This is clearly an example of how quickly fashions change. What was a deluxe venue roughly ten years ago now feels like a worn dame. The dark boudoir like rooms now appear dingy and tired. The staff remain pleasant and obliging, so it is no slight on the service, however being charged an extra £4 for a breakfast 'upgrade' - having already paid £27.90 on top of the room rate for two breakfasts - seemed both petty and unnecessary which left a bad taste in my mouth. Look around the city and see what others offer, it may surprise you. Clearly the Emperors new clothes are now worn tatters and the coffee is like dirty water - Malmaison give your lovely staff a helping hand and keep a lookout for updating the venue.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank graham19712017
Reviewed 21 January 2018

Had a lovely night stay here. The bed is huge and super comfy and the pillows are the best I've ever slept on.
No problems with noise and even though we were close to the lift I never heard any noise from it.
We had a drink in the bar and it was reasonable priced and better value than the mini bar.
The only negative was the room was quite dark and that we had to get our key card reactivated 3 times during the stay and we made a conscious effort to keep it away from phones and credit cards etc
Although the hotel offers a discount for the ncp, we parked in the car park in Sheffield Street which was £3.50 for 24 hours and it's about a 5 minute walk from the hotel.
I'd definitely stay at the Map again and the price was excellent value and within walking distance of the station, shops and bars.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple