Malmaison Manchester
  • Bar/Lounge
Monroes Hotel(Manchester)
  • Bar/Lounge
2,705 results
All reviewscorner suitepiccadilly stationmini barbuilding worksuperior roomcooked breakfastan upgradebirthday treatreception staffcity centrecomfy bedhotel barlovely roomsaturday nightnorthern quarterstayed for one nightcanal street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 July 2016

The Good: We chose the Malmaison for its location- close to the Picadilly train station and its convenience to family we were visiting in Manchester. These objectives were met. Additionally, the front desk staff were consistently cheerful, pleasant and responsive. The “Mal”: Mal Maison lives up to its name - it is, indeed a bad house/choice. If you are looking for a hotel in this area, it is recommended that you look elsewhere. As seen in most photos, the hotel itself is “dark" and the room decor is uninviting and depressing - more like a funeral parlor than a hotel room. A fellow guest who shared a ride on the cramped and slow elevator remarked that it is spooky! Disembarking the elevator, we were met with a blast of heavy hot air in a dismal corridor - corridors were not air conditioned during our three day stay. Upon entering the room, it was the same - hot and dark with its black velvet drapes holding the heat- and the A.C. was on! We turned the thermostat down, but an hour later, there was still no cool air. We decided to go out and explore the city and reported the concern to the front desk upon departure. They assured us that it would be addressed. Upon our return, several hours later, the room was still hot, but a standing fan had been left for us!
Upon reporting that this was unacceptable, they sent a technician to our room to try to get the A.C. to work. After an extended, but unsuccessful attempt, he advised us that we should use the fan to “assist” the A.C., as we were on the top floor and “hot air rises.” (Genius!) Further to this, he advised that I try turning the thermostat down during the night if it became too uncomfortable too sleep! This was the tipping point when I lost patience and insisted on a room with the basic comfort of A.C. or a refund. It was only then (at about midnight) when I threatened to leave that the night management finally responded and found us another room. While the A.C. worked well in the “new" room, it was a much smaller space with a smaller bed, not the King Superior room that I paid for. To date, I have not had an apology for the inconvenience or a refund for the difference in accommodations. While the technician and front desk staff seemed to be doing the best with what they have, I found the blatant lack of sensitivity to the guest to be a fatal flaw on the part of the “faceless” night management of this hotel. It is evident that they do not care or feel accountable. As such, I cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Request the new wing or check to ensure that the air conditioning is working
1  Thank Carlos S
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2016

Hi Carlos S

Thank you for your review.
I am glad that we could be a handy base for your family visit and that our lovely reception team made you feel so welcome.
I can assure you that we do indeed care deeply about your experience at our hotel and hope that you have a wonderful time. As this is clearly not the case here, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with you directly. If you would contact me at the hotel, I would be much obliged. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 22 July 2016

Checking in was helpful but not friendly, room quite pokey for a double, about a foot spare either side of the bed. No plugs by the bed (??!!) apart from a USB socket that didn't work.
Huge bathroom, that could've comfortably been a little smaller for more room in the bedroom.
Bit dark and 'trendy' that now looks a little bit like trying too hard.
Bed was comfy, and room was clean and well presented. Just hoped for a bit more space for a double.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2016

Dear Daveo83

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you found our wonderful beds so comfy and the room well presented. However it is disappointing to see that you had a few issues on your stay.

We strive to provide all our guests with a relaxing and enjoyable time, and I am sorry that this was not your experience. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please contact me at the hotel. I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2016 via mobile

Malmaison you need to know how amazing a member of your business hosting team really is. Last Friday we held our Packtypes training here & Marissa was absolutely amazing, so much so several of us went home & told other people about how great she was. We had the second part of our training this week & when Marissa walked in the room to host us she actually got cheers that she was back! She didn't let us down, she was just as good as she had been the week before!

We enjoyed being hosted by her so much that we spent part of our training actually using Packtypes to understand what made her so good!

We are delighted to share it with you.... every Malmaison should have someone with a Marissa profile.

Thank you Marissa from the InstepUK team! xx

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business

Hi Jo L and InstepUK team!

This is a truly outstanding review and I was delighted to read it. I have passed your comments onto Marissa who was absolutely thrilled to see what a good visit you had and her part in making it so memorable. Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know.

We completely agree and think that every hotel should have a Marissa, but we are holding onto ours very tightly! She is a total star and works very hard to ensure our guests have a great time.

We hope to see you all again soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2016

The positives first.
This hotel is opposite Piccadilly train station so the location is good.
All the communal areas, bar, toilets and reception were very clean.
The bar is actually quite good and not the soulless affair these sort of hotels often end up being, although the cocktails are nothing special. The glasses were simply so full of ice, and I mean full, that any drink quickly became diluted.
Our bathroom and shower were very nice. The water was as hot as you could want it and the shower had a really good flow. There was also loads of good quality, clean towels
The negatives.
Most of the bad points relate specifically to our room rather than the hotel in general.
The Moulin Rouge suite is very large and the bed is very large and very comfy but that's about all it's got going for it.
All the furniture was scuffed and tired.
Some of the wallpaper was ripped off in the bedroom.
There was a cigarette burn on the bedsheets.
The plug didn't fit the sink.
The carpet was tired, worn and wasn't fitted properly in high traffic places.
The sound from the busy street below was very evident, especially in the morning. This is central Manchester so I expected some noise but it was as if one of the windows wouldn't close properly or wasn't fitted correctly. There was obviously some problem with the street noise not being blocked out as it should.
There was nowhere near a mirror with enough light for my wife to be able to do her make up.
When we arrived we saw the usual drinks and snacks in the mini bar but on the table was a bottle of cheap, none descript Malbec and 2 wine glasses. I assumed that as we paid nearly £200 a night for our room ( and that's at a reduced rate ) this was complimentary but rang reception to be sure. It turns out it was £30. There was also a bottle of still water at either side of the bed and I've no idea if this was complimentary or not but if it wasn't it shouldn't have been there.
In no way is this room worth full price and even paying just short of £100 a night extra isn't really worth it.

Dear Kieran
Thank you for your feedback. We always hope that all our guests have an amazing experience with us, and it is disappointing to hear that was not the case here.
I am pleased to say that we are embarking on a refurbishment of this particular suite shortly. There was so much you liked about our hotel, we would love you to stay again and show you our new look in its full glory.
I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss the details of your review in person. If you would to do so also, please contact me directly at the hotel. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 22 July 2016 via mobile

A great room and great food! Bianca was so helpful! I'm vegan and Bianca arranged well in advance a separate menu for me and a whole range of vegan things for me to eat, from dinner to breakfast. Everyone in the restaurant was ready and willing to help and the food was amazing. Had an amazing stay. Thanks Bianca :-)

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business

Hi Jonathan F

It was lovely to read that our fab supervisor Bianca could be so helpful in accommodating your special requests and that the whole restaurant team contributed to your amazing stay. She will be very happy to read that her hard work was so appreciated. Thank you for letting us know all about your fantastic experience.

Let us know when you will be back, and we shall get the vegan treats at the ready. We are looking forward to seeing you then.