“Weirdly Damp and hot in late October -Scooby Do meets an ITV 1980's sitcom.”
Review of Etrop Grange

Etrop Grange
Ranked #65 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 25 October 2017

Needed a quick heads down before a 6:25 am business flight to Iceland. arrived at 8pm to a teenage receptionist who thought it more important to answer the phone (rather abruptly) than properly serve the two fantastic ladies in their dotage who were in front of me and piled high with animal print bags and a sense of adventure, clearly on their way to a high old time. I was latterly handed a key and pointed towards a stair case ( by the erstwhile teenager still enraptured in said phone call).. this lead to a corridor which grew increasingly swampy and mouldy ... and a Rigsby designed room with WET pillow cases - I tried to open the window - the damp curtain fell off onto me like a scene out of Psycho. I tried to ring down to reception to no avail. So I trudged back down to be given a second key . this room was 27 degrees - hot yoga territory! the air-con didn't work and the ground floor window opened pretty much onto the motor way - I suffer from asthma a bit so the choice between a very damp room and these exhaust fumes was interesting . I tried to ring reception using the 'reception' button on the phone --- nope= constantly engaged . trudged back down to reception where I was told -"them phones don't work you ave to press zero ( Me "I wasn't told this ) "you should know that" .....(me) "why is it so hot and my air con doesn't work"... ( reply)has it ( the aircon) got a band-aid on it - well that means it doesn't work.....brilliant - Thank god for George who was a star and at least new that he was working in a hotel full of paying guests and tried to make my night more comfortable .Thanks George ! but no thanks to Etrop Grange - I hope those Ace ladies had a fantastic holiday despite this pretty low level start. Run Away !!!

Room Tip: "Run Away"
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Patrick h
Sally W, Owner at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Dear Patrick h

I am so sorry that your stay was such a disappointment, please accept my sincere apology for the attitude of our receptionist on arrival and her failure to deal with your requests in a sympathetic manner. I will share your review with my reception team.

I note the comments regarding your room and can confirm that refurbishment works are being carried out which will include the replacement of all soft furnishings and repair or replacement of faulty equipment.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future so that you can see the changes that have been made and experience a more positive stay.

Sally

Write a ReviewReviews (1,432)

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

The appearance of the hotel from the outside seemed ok, however upon going through the doors to entrance, we soon realised the whole place is in serious need of a makeover, for a one night stop before flying off on holiday it was ok but it was nowhere near as clean as we’d hoped. The restaurant is in serious need of a revamp, we had our meal in what can only be described as a run down conference room, it felt cold and unwelcoming, the food did the job of filling us up. For a one night stay it does the job. A side not whilst members of staff have disagreements it’d be wise to not have them quite so loud in the kitchen so all can hear

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Sally W, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Dear amychap87

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay and please accept my sincere apology for the overheated conversation you heard, I hope that this did not spoil the enjoyment of your meal.

I note the comments regarding your room and the public areas and can confirm that refurbishment works are being carried out.

Reviewed 22 October 2017

Stayed for a night before heading off on holiday. Very close to the airport and a great price.

Service really good, we had dinner at the hotel but not breakfast since we were leaving early.

They also operate a courtesy service to the airport, wish we'd known that on the way there since we got a taxis from the train station. If we had phoned they would've come for us.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Sally W, General Manager at Etrop Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Dear m4xwl

Thank you for the lovely review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you fly from Manchester again.

Reviewed 22 October 2017

So close to the airport.
Lovely staff!
Lovely room!
Perfect in every way.
Receptionist ran out to our car to carry our luggage, a credit to your hotel!
Not a chain, very individual, but has every modern convenience.
A gem, Thankyou.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Cleveleys

Thank you for the lovely review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel last week with another couple for one night.
Shown to rooms 30 and 33 which were 'tatty'.
Complained at reception.
Offered another room further along the corridor, exactly the same as the others!
Bar area dark and gloomy with picture hooks with no pictures,
no atmosphere at all.
We have stayed at this hotel in the past, and it was excellent.
What has happened in the last 2 years???

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear brian g

We always enjoy welcoming guests back to the hotel so I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay. I note your comments regarding the décor in your room and the bar area, I can confirm that refurbishment works are being carried out in the rooms and public areas of the hotel.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future so you can see the changes that have been made and experience a more positive stay.