5,768 results
All reviews afternoon tea mr coopers q hotels octagon lounge beautiful hotel superior room fantastic stay mini bar reception area central manchester saturday night lovely room city centre stayed for one night member of staff midlands concierge
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed on Tuesday night for a relaxing visit to the Christmas market. The main market in Albert Sq is a one minute walk from the hotel. The spa, pool and gym were an attraction but I was disappointed when they told me the pool closed at 6 pm! Then on enquiring further with another member of staff, I found out that it actually closed at 830 pm. I think the staff need better training on basic opening times! Misinformation is not good! The pool and jacuzzi were small but lovely and resembled a blue lagoon. Very relaxing chill-out environment. The gym is spacious with loads of equipment and split onto 2 levels. Also (allegedly) closes at 830 pm. This is still very early and I was disappointed that it wasn't open until at least 9 or 10 pm. Most of the spa is off bounds to hotel guests unless they pay an extra fee. Is that necessary considering the rates they charge at the hotel?! I had a room that was large and comfortable with a very comfy 5 ft wide bed. Air con is noisy though, so you might want to switch it off at bed time. It needs modernising. One of the things that let this hotel down is the inconsistency in staff attitude. Some are very pleasant and eager to help but then you get staff who are indifferent or even nasty. The reception staff at check in made no attempt to explain the spa, pool and gym facilities and seemed indifferent to guests checking in. The bar Manager (or a man who appeared to be the bar manager at least) late that evening in particular was miserable and appeared to be off hand and nasty to the bar tender who was friendly and accommodating and doing his best to serve the guests. Any guest with an ounce of awareness would have noticed this unpleasantness. Totally inappropriate to see junior staff treated like that. Poor reflection on the hotel. I would have given the hotel 4 stars if some of the staff knew their onions, didn't misinform guests and maintained an air of professionalism. I feel sorry for the staff that made an effort with guests and who were welcoming. Those that served in the bar were very good and the gentleman helping me check out in the morning were wonderful. Oh well, a mixed experience.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
eyale16, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear debbietr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Midland Hotel, it is always useful for us to gather guest feedback in order to make improvements to our services.

My sincere apologies that certain aspect of your stay did not live up to expectations and particularly the miscommunication you experienced. I hope you can appreciate that we are keen to ensure a level of service throughout the hotel and I will feed your comments back to the various departments in order to ensure staff are fully informed and trained to the highest level.

We hope you will provide us with the opportunity to change your opinion of The Midland Hotel and we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As a new Barrister, tonight I was thrilled to attend my first Northern Circuit "High Court Judges' and Circuit Judges' Mess" dinner at the legendary Midland Hotel, Manchester.

This may be the iconic setting where Mr Rolls met Mr Royce and David and Victoria Beckham had their first date, but that is nothing compared to attending your first Mess dinner.

On my arrival, my brother and sister professionals were smartly dressed and enjoying aperitifs at The Midland Bar; a suave rendezvous point encouraging mixing, chatter and banter. After about half an hour, what sounded like a hammer on a gavel (no, we don't have those in our courts!) ushered us into dinner.

We now found ourselves in a fine reception room with round tables each accommodating ten souls and beautifully set out for a fine banquet. It is fair to say, lawyers are discerning diners and the dinner that followed was beautifully presented, absolutely scrumptious and a fine seasonal menu for a November night.

The Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup was of a perfect consistency with a delicate yet spicy flavour. These days soups are so lacking in flavour, salt being the "white devil" but the chef seasoned this soup to perfection.

To follow was Braised Beef Brisket with Horseradish Mash and Red Wine Jus. The best single word to describe this is "yummy"!

The sweet/dessert/pudding was Honey and Thyme Cheesecake with Lavender Chantilly. This was set out in decorative style and tasted delicious and I commend it but no cheesecake will ever compare to those baked by my mother of the solid Eastern European variety!

By way of finale - tea or coffee with a divinely decadent selection of chocolates which I took to be created in-house. A fight broke out on my table as to apportionment.

The last part of the evening comprised mellifluous speeches further sweetened by port generously poured from an elegant decanter.

The service received by guests at this memorable dinner was outstanding. The energy and attention to detail from Operations Manager Tony Bayliss was of the highest order.

Tony informed me the chef tonight was Executive Head Chef Brian Spark. No wonder the dinner was elegant and excellent.

The best part of all is that I shall be back next month for another marvellous Mess dinner!

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank MARSHA M

Dear Marsha M,

It was a joy to read such a detailed and positive review regarding the event you attended here at The Midland Hotel. I have passed your wonderful words onto our Events and Kitchen teams including our Executive Head Chef, Brian- who was delighted!

We hope your next event with us is just as enjoyable!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Perfect location, perfect hotel beautifully decorated room was huge with two king size beds restaurant was wonderful and the spa amazing! Great spa break and night out with the girls.
Breakfast was lovey and staff polite and helpful

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank emilylou097

Dear Emilylou097,

It was terrific to read how impressed you were with your overall stay here at The Midland Hotel. I will be sure to pass on our comments to the whole team, who I know will be thrilled.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What a perfect night’s stay we had at the Midland. We’ve stayed a few times before and it’s our first choice when looking for a hotel in Manchester.

On this occasion we were allocated a corner room which we were completely delighted with. The bed was so comfortable and it was a nice spacious room so we felt very relaxed.

Staff are so friendly but professional. I can say that about each member of staff we encountered.

The octagon bar is a very nice spot, tastefully lit and furnished, for a drink before dinner.

We had a dip in the spa pool in the morning - it’s gorgeous. What a lovely facility to offer.

All in all this was a perfect stay and we look forward to another visit very soon. Thank you Midland team!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank anniemaggie

Dear anniemaggie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review regarding your recent stay at The Midland Hotel. I am thrilled to read how much you enjoyed your experience and particularly how pleasant our staff were.

I have shared your kind words with our team and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 November 2018

Location is good. The room was damp, condensate on windows which could not be opened, bathroom ceiling falling apart, how on earth this has a four star rating is beyond comprehension. Photos provided. The room was also noisy, other guests could clearly be heard simply talking. Be careful if you wish to make a cuppa, some scientist has designed the kettle area with wine glasses suspended directly over the cups! one broke whilst reaching for the kettle, possibly the most stupid non-ergonomic concept!

Room tip: Choose a different hotel!
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
eyale16, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Gary C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback since your recent stay. , I'm sorry to read that some elements of your experience didn't live up to your expectations and I'll be sure to convey your comments and suggestions with the responsible managers.

I hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back and improve your opinion of the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,