“High expectations ”
Review of Albatross & Arnold

Albatross & Arnold
Ranked #8 of 2,530 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$53 - US$99
Description: Our bar & lounge, Albatross & Arnold, offers an all-day menu served lunchtime until late. The concise menu celebrates the very best of the British Isles, changing frequently to ensure the freshest, seasonal produce is maximised, with carefully-sourced seasonal, meat, fish and vegetables. The food menu sits alongside fantastic wines and innovative cocktails with over twenty different wines available by the glass; celebrating the best of both old and new world.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

After reading all of the great reviews we had high expectations of Albatross and Arnold. However, we arrived on Saturday evening to find nobody on the front desk. There was a private party going on in the main room so we hung around for a bit until someone came to show us around to the bar at the back. There were 5 tables and only one was occupied so we were a bit surprised it wasn’t busy given the great reviews. However the waitress told us later that somebody must have taken our booking by mistake because the kitchen was so busy with the party and a few large tables in the golf rooms. Because of the party the music was really loud, luckily we didn’t mind at all and really enjoyed it. We had the 5 course tasting menu and the first course arrived after quite a delay. Unfortunately the scallops were luke warm but after that the service and the food improved. However I don’t think others had the same luck as one table made quite a show of making a complaint in the middle of the room. Despite this I would recommend to others, I think perhaps we just got them on a bad night.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is now my favourite restaurant in Manchester so I was happy to bring friends here for a celebration meal. We were greeted by our smiling waitress Charlie who impressed us all with her knowledge of the different dishes, their ingredients and origins. We all opted for the 7 course tasting menu and were blown away by the food and it’s presentation. If I had to choose a favourite it would have to be the scallop with its divine broth that I could drink by the gallon. Others in the party voted the duck as the winner, though only by a margin from the steak tartare, probably one of the best I have ever eaten and could only have been improved by the addition of some yummy bread to mop up that glorious egg yolk. Normally I’m not a dessert person but the deconstructed fruit crumble with its rich and crumbly shortbread was a great way to finish the meal. To sum up, fabulous cocktails, amazing food and friendly and informative waitress all lead to a 5* evening.

1  Thank linda h
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

excellent food and very service minded staff that went above and beyond to give us a good experience.

1  Thank peder h
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was an awful experience at every level.

Went with friends one of whom has strict dietary needs. Both my friend and I contacted the restaurant separately to confirm that they could accommodate her needs and were advised that it would be no problem and requested that we specified her needs on the booking. Fine I thought. On arrival we were greeted with 'have you booked?' making me think that they must be busy. Nope. The place was deserted but for a young family who soon left. No one else came in all evening.

Soon became clear that the waitress knew nothing about the dietary needs as 'the information hadn't come through', the performance then was unbelievable to find something that the chef was able to do for my guest. We were offered a broccoli starter initially, after much tooing and froing, in error and that was changed in the event to a cauliflower starter off the taster menu. In the end my guest asked if they could do an omelette, 'I will ask the chef' at which point I offered to come and show him. If it hadn't been raining I would have suggested leaving at this point.

When we did order (the waitress had to be called back to take the oders', one of the group asked for monkfish, 'the monkfish is off', never mentioned when the menus where brought. Generally the food was of a poor quality, small in proportion and over cooked and poorly presented and the service just amateurish. Not the fine dining experience as claimed and charged for. They had the neck to put a service charge.

I see it as no accident that the place was empty, based on my experience the place will be closed fairly soon.

Charlie F, Owner at Albatross & Arnold, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear David,

We are disheartened to read you had such a negative experience when visiting Albatross & Arnold and since receiving your feedback, have taken steps to address all issues raised.

In relation to your dietary requirements, we can only hold our hands up and admit to human error. Your notes are clearly on the booking system, and should have been acknowledged and prepared for in advance. With regards to the service, again we appreciate this was less than satisfactory. Unfortunately, and please don't take this as an excuse but hopefully will help you to understand, your server that evening was in a period of training. We chose to do this on the quietest night in the restaurant. Naturally, when people are in training mistakes are more likely to be made. I am confident if you had visited us on another evening you would have received an entirely different and vastly improved experience.

Management and the chef did everything they could to rectify the situation including preparing off-menu dishes to suit your party's dietary requirements and we are saddened that none of your concerns were raised on the night, only by way of this review.

As an independent restaurant, word of mouth and recommendations are vital and it is clear to see from the many 5* reviews we receive, your experience is not the norm. We do hope you'll give us a chance to change your opinion and will reach out to you directly to discuss further, as we have no intentions of closing down any time soon.

Yours faithfully

Andrew

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had an incredible meal at Albatross & Arnold while visiting family in Manchester on our Summer holiday. Friendly staff, attention to detail and an amazing menu and wine list (dry aged beef fillet was so tender and rich). We will be back next time we are in town!