“An interesting eatery in Chorlton”
Review of Amma's Canteen

Amma's Canteen
Reserve with OpenTable
Amma's Canteen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 2,494 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Description: Family run South Indian street food restaurant.
Description: Family run South Indian street food restaurant.
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

My partner and I visited this jaunt fora light lunch after reading the fantastic reviews online. We arrived just after the opening time and the place quickly filled up without it being intrusive. My initial opinion was that the venue is welcoming and clean. The music was a little overpowering but I understand that this is to give you the ‘feel’ for an Indian street food dining experience! We had to wait a few minutes because the waiter was in the back of the restaurant. However, when he arrived, the waiter was very friendly. We ordered a starter and a main each. As I’m currently on a plant strong diet, I ordered vegan dishes. My partner had the chilli chicken and beef dosa whereas I opted for the okra and potato and cashew dosa. The starters were both delicious and served in ample portions. The beef main was very tasty. My dish, comprising of crushed potato and warm cashews was slightly sweet which was a slight disappointment. During our visit, the chef popped out to see his friends that were dining behind him. On both occasions, he stopped to pass pleasantries with us. It was evident that he is very knowledgeable and passionate about food. He was genuinely interested in our dining experience and took the time to explain to me how the okra was cooked. I would definitely return but perhaps order two dishes from the ‘street cart’ section of the menu.

Mark E, Management Team at Amma's Canteen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed review, we're glad that you enjoyed your meal with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to try our Street Cart menu. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

Chef’s specialty restaurant, small but great selection of food, good service; the food tasted fresh, highly recommend

Thanks for taking the time to review us, very much appreciated by all the team here. We hope to welcome you back soon and thanks for choosing Amma's Canteen.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Absolutely amazing unique place. Exceptional menu and lots of gluten free options. Terrific menu which varies frequently.
Can eat Indian tapas, dosas and curries. Seabass curry, tamarind chicken and spicy cauliflower were all excellent. The staff are so nice and very attentive service and the owner is a chef and very knowledgeable! Plenty of gluten free options too!

Mark E, Management Team at Amma's Canteen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Thanks for your excellent review. We are proud to offer many gluten free, vegan and vegetarian options. Lovely to hear your comments on your overall experience as well. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

The food was delicious and there was a good selection. I don’t usually like Indian Restaurants but this is different. The staff are very welcoming. Highly recommend this restaurant.

Mark E, Office Team at Amma's Canteen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thanks for choosing us to celebrate your birthday with Joanne! We are so glad you enjoyed it and we hope to see you again soon. We really appreciate your review.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I am not sure why this restaurant was Trip Advisor Restaurant of the year. For Indian food it was really bland and disappointing. Indian tapas we were told by the restaurant... small portions aside the food was dull and how do you mess up wings? The wing coating was mushy. Even my child said the food lacked spice. The manager told us the speciality of the restaurant is that they serve the food of the poor-the irony of how much we had to pay for pauper portions was lost on him. The only redeeming dish was the main fish-it tasted fresh and we were delighted to find something vaguely aromatic. The staff were nice and the idea is a good one, but oh my what a disappointment.

Mark E, Management Team at Amma's Canteen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with us. We are disappointed that our food was not to your taste, we usually get excellent reviews but always welcome honest feedback as different people have differing tastes. We'll take a positive from the fish and our staff but are sad that the overall experience did not meet the standards you expected. Please also be assured we have read your other comments and welcome all feedback.