“Exellent!!”

Ranked #2 of 23 Doncaster B&B and Inns
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Exellent!!”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

After enjoying a wonderful Christmas Day Lunch at the Angel Inn we decided to celebrate a birthday on Sunday 12th Feb with family and about 20 friends. Once again the food was exellent and the service first class, Simone is the perfect host and nothing is too much trouble for her or her staff.
I particularly enjoyed the guest beers and the friendly relaxed atmosphere which made the birthday occassion very special and loads of fun.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Suzanne L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Lovely local pub with excellent food & friendly staff, & a warm welcome from owner Simone. Excellent service & food in the lovely conservatory restaurant on 21 Jan '12 for our daughter's 40th birthday party - friends from Oxford stayed in four of the rooms & were delighted with the cleanliness, comfort, good service & lovely breakfast the next morning.
Wendy & Reg Threlkeld
Misson

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wendy T
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2012

My wife and I arrived one cold and wet night in January. After a friendly welcome from the landlady Simone, we were shown to our comfortable room in a small annexe next to the pub and restaurant. It was cold in the room as the heating had to be turned on and we were offered a fan heater to tide us over until the heating kicked in properly. We opted instead for a couple of pints in the warm and cosy bar area, sitting with our beer and cider in front of a real log fire. Great! A few locals came in and the atmosphere was grand. We perused the excellent menu and after a rest and refresh, we came back to the restaurant for a very tasty three course dinner. The food is highly recommended by us both. (My starter of scallops and black pudding was delicious and my wife’s main course of chicken wrapped in bacon with a creamy sauce was equally superb). The vegetables were obviously fresh and served appropriately. The service was good and again, the atmosphere was conducive to a very enjoyable evening. Despite the chilly bedroom, (which took a while to warm up!), we had a good sleep, woke with the call of a local cockerel and tucked into a breakfast of cereals, scrambled eggs and toast with jam. Good coffee was perked up with some hot water. We were the only ones sitting in the breakfast room so we had a quiet and very relaxed meal. Just the way we like it! The waitress was, like all the staff throughout the stay, efficient and very friendly. I would recommend the Angel Inn to anyone for its excellent food, its friendly and cosy atmosphere and a few good pints of tasty beer.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aaandykov
Simone F, Owner at Angel Inn & Lodge, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for your review. We do try to make everyone's visit as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. We hope to see you again soon.
Chepstow
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Just left the Angel Inn, what a great stay. Kid friendly, fantastic food dinner was excellent as was breakfast. David and Simmone were great hosts and gave superb hospitality for the family

Room Tip: Eat at the pub its fantastic
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank snsjrobins
Simone F, Owner at Angel Inn & Lodge, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
It was a pleasure to have you here. Your children were, again, fabulously well behaved - I think my dogs enjoyed having play-mates. I hope it's not too long before you're up this way again. Thanks for the very kind review, I'll pass your comments on to the team.
Best wishes
Simone
Doncaster
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Booked a table for a small family 70th birthday celebratory meal after a personal recommendation from a colleague. Was only expecting/hoping for a decent country pub meal, what we had was so much more than that.

The staff were all extremely professional, but always unobtrusive and the waiter (blonde hair, sorry didn't catch his name) that looked after us in particular could not have given any better service. I think someone else commented, and it's true the service would not have been out of place in a 5 star hotel.

We'd had a quick look at the menu online before booking, but again this didn't prepare us for what we actually found. I can't remember having a pub meal presented this well and the food itself did not disappoint. I think between us we had 2 different starters and 4 different mains and all were very good. Personally, I had the steak in Guinness pie and I can still taste it 24 hours later (in a good way)!

The surroundings were perfect for the occasion. An original looking bar area that could perhaps appear very slightly old fashioned to some, although were just what I would want from a rural pub. A smallish conservatory and a connecting area between with just a couple of tables was perfect for us. The toilets, which can sometimes be a decent gauge of an old pub have been recently re-fitted, were spotless and again were of a higher standard than expected.

You may find it hard to believe, but I'm not one to give praise easily! I'm struggling to find anything to fault. The only thing I can remember was the mushroom starter I had at first seemed a little stingy in portion size for the £6 mark when it came, though the presentation overshadowed this impression. It tasted wonderful and after a main course (no room for sweet), I was full into the next morning. So I guess chef was right all along!

So, service, presentation, food, surroundings, all impressed. It was obvious that everyone was trying very hard to reach a very high standard and they all succeeded. But I think overall it's the food that impressed the most.

It's great to find a pub like this I just hope the same people/set up remain for a long time without complacency setting in. We will certainly do our bit, helping by supporting the business by visiting again soon – can’t wait!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank DoncasterJoshsDad
Simone F, Owner at Angel Inn & Lodge, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Wow! We have had many complimentary reviews, but this is amazing! We try every day to make everything as special for our guests as possible, so to receive such praise is wonderful. Paddy, the young gentleman who predominately served you, joined us fairly recently, and is over the moon at your comments, as is John (Chef) are the rest of the team.
Thank you so much. We hope to see you again soon.
Best wishes