“The Mad Hunter up grade 2.0”
Review of The Mad Hunter

The Mad Hunter
Ranked #1 of 619 Restaurants in Preston
Price range: US$8 - US$33
Description: International cuisine served from Wednesday to Sundays. Menu changes with the seasons as well as fresh daily specials. Extensive Wine menu and Gin Bar.
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have been regular visitors to The Mad Hunter and have always enjoyed its relaxed atmosphere, outstanding food and genuine friendly service from the excellent staff. The venue had closed for a few weeks after Christmas for renovations and to prepare a new menu. We went last night to look at the up grade. I was worried as I had developed a serious addiction to Travis's amazing Buffullo Wings and there was a possibility I had would have to go completely cold turkey.

On arriving we were met by Oliver and it was obvious alot if thought had gone into the cosmetic changes which all suited the "hunter" theme without being gimmicky and the venue was welcome and relaxed as normal.

The new menu is excellent. Those of you who have had the pleasure of the Chef's Evenings and wished to be able to try some of those amazing dishes again (like us) will be very impressed by the new menu.

There are more of Travis's interests and interests on it with his mix of South African and Asian food coming through. There is also classic bistro/gastro pub dishes like steak and chips (flat iron or sirloin) or chicken and chips or a Boar Burger.

However, the real delight is the Travis touches: I had the new version of the Wings, which are now piri piri with tomatoe aioli served with lemon and coriander (scarily more fresh and zingy and an improvement on the Buffullo Wings which is bad news habit!). My wife had Japaneese king Prawns which were spicy and clean tasting.

For the main course I opted for Osso Buco which was a very generous portion of slow cooked beef leg steak that comes on the bone with a lovely night of bone marrow at the centre of the plate. It was served with a deep red wine and parsley jus and creamy mash: absolutely delicious!

My wife had the Chicken with creamy lemon grass and cocconut broth which was served with toasted bloomer which was also amazing.

We were sat by the desk and saw a number of delicious dishes come out that looked amazing: a sea bass vietnamese style "pho" broth that we had tried on a chef's night, an amazing lamb dish served in a bread bowl and we are already planning our next visit.

The meal was washed down with an excellent Cote du Rhone suggested by Oliver.

I cannot rate this restaurant highly enough. You are never rushed and if you wish your meals to be an experienced and not just a perfunctory event then this is the place for you. The music, atmosphere, quality of food and hospitality make it a destination that has to be visited.

My wife and I always feel that eating at the Mad Hunter at night feels like when you eat out when on holiday abroad. Yes the weather is crap but it always feels like a holiday as time seems to no longer matter and you are eating with old friends who genuinely want you to have the best food and wine possible. Best little restaurant on the Fylde coast without a doubt.

3  Thank Sam c

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

We have just had a great night out at The Mad Hunter.A 5 course taster menu.A wonderful meal with lots of varied courses.
This restaurant maybe small but with a lovely personal service, nothing to much trouble.The food is cooked to perfection.A little gem tucked away in St Michaels not far from Gardtang.Please give it a try I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank 106judy
Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

Came to this quirky establishment in St Michaels for dinner and catch up with an old friend . I had the Chicken and Prawn Mozambique curry . I could not fault the dish and was impressed with the flavours and good portion size.

Lovely service , Oliver who looked after us was very friendly, well informed of the menu and made our dinner a very nice experience.

Would throughly recommend a visit if anyone wants dinner in the area, the wild boar burger (my friends dish ) looked very good as well.

1  Thank Ben J
Reviewed 20 November 2017

We visited here this weekend for the first time and it is a very unusual little place.
We had two lovely tasting meals but the food is just not large enough for adults. When we left my partner was still hungry and this is not what you want from a meal out. His dish had rice on the side and bearing in mind how cheap rice is then this could have been doubled in size easily to make sure the meal was large enough.
My burger was lovely but also just some chips with it and no side salad which I felt was very inadequate and would have added so much to the overall experience.

The specials also need to be written onto a board and shown to the guests as we had no idea how much his special was and it was a lot more than we felt it was worth for the portion size. This also goes for the desserts as again no prices and it is embarrassing you ask out loud how much a dish is.
With some tweaks this restaurant could be superb but at the moment it is just not working for us as customers.
Lovely wine and lovely tasting food all in all just not enough of it.

5  Thank ManyJB
Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

I visited today with my Daughter and Mum, after a visit to Barton Grange (only 7 minutes away) on what was a bit of a cold and damp day, and after seeing the previous reviews on Trip Advisor and Facebook we decided that this should be our destination for lunch today.

Firstly, what a lovely, unusual building and fantastic decor inside. The weather conditions outside were soon turned around with the warm, friendly welcome we received upon our arrival with the host providing an unrushed, knowledgeable service throughout.

The food was topnotch, the house white we had was very enjoyable and the prices were very reasonable. We can all say that next time we're in the area (we're from Manchester), or just fancy a really great meal experience, then The Mad Hunter will definitely be on the list.

Thanks for a great afternoon, Mike, Emily & Christine