“Shouldn't put Great and Hotel in the title”

Great Western Hotel
Ranked #13 of 13 Basingstoke B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2017

My only 2 good things to say about this place are the view of the historical chapel from my room was nice and the Indian restaurant below served delicious food. The shared bathrooms, 3 of them, were all disgusting, smelly, mouldy and certainly not clean. In one bathroom, the toilet didn't flush and there was no cold water running from the tap. The carpets throughout the hotel and room were stained and dirty. Would not recommend this place. Even though it is cheap and would have low expectations for the price anyway, this place is extremely below standards.

Room Tip: Don't choose it.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank wanderlust570

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

I have lived in Basingstoke all my life and had never visited this pub before, now I know why! Empty on a Friday evening except to a handful of locals at the bar. Poor choice of drinks, no soda water and limited spirits. We left swiftly after one of the locals threw my friend's pint down her... now realise why I had not been here before and will never return!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2017

I only stayed here for one night on a whirlwind weekend trip as it was the best stopping point for the night between Southampton and Highclere Castle. The stay overall was fine, though I don't think I'd go back. It was directly behind the train station, so very convenient location to that. The room was fine, bed was comfortable (however, I'd been up since 3 am so I might not be the most unbiased there). Check in was easy and well-explained, though you do have to go to the bar for this, I know that may be a big deal for some. There was a filled electric kettle with mug and instant coffee, tea, etc. in the room when I arrived so that was a nice addition to the next morning.
Now for the bad news. Bathrooms are not ensuite, and I ended up in all three by the time I checked out. In one, the toilet seat was broken and the shower head had to be held up, there was no place for it. The other, I walked into the room and the floor was soaked. The last one was fine, nothing luxurious but fine. One large bath towel was provided per bed (I booked a single room but ended up in one with both a single and double bed), so one was used as a rug. Also, the wifi didn't work at all, so I had to go back out and try to find something at the train station to check in with family so they knew I was settled for the night.
Overall, not the worst hotel experience I've ever had, but nothing near the best. It worked for my check in at nine and check back out at eight the next morning because I just needed a place to sleep for the night, but I definitely would not want to base a several-days holiday around it.

Room Tip: I was only on the first floor and didn't hear much noise from the bar on a Saturday night, but I...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

Unfortunately places like this do still exist. It's a tragic shame that the number of people who have managed this place haven't done a thing, other than to encourage more of the most rough and horrible people to drink there.

There is absolutely no effort made to bring in new clientele and everything they have to offer is done in an extremely tacky way.

It has become a laughing stock to the locals of Basingstoke. The beer selection is utter rubbish, the pipes need cleaning, the staff need sacking and the management need to think of another profession.

Avoid at all costs.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2017

We where charged 165 to stay here for three nights and they were the worst three nights I have ever spent in a hotel. First of all it was dirty, the carpet in the room was so worn and looked like it hadn't been hoovered in a few weeks, the wall paper was peeling away from the walls, the curtain poles where not securely attached and the windows had seen better days. There was only one fully functioning bathroom for all three floors, having to walk down a flight of stairs after having a shower when there where other people in the hotel was not good. There was one toilet for an entire floor of people and don't even get me started with the noise. Now I know its a pub but the noise was horrendous and went on for hours. I am sure there was a lock in at one point. Over all the upside was that the staff seemed friendly enough.

To summarise the trip was over priced, uncomfortable and the quality of the rooms you are paying for is appalling. I certainly wont be going back there again.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple