“Lots of positives here but...”

Regency Hotel Gatwick
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 4 July 2017

Not easily found on TomTom, just follow the hotel signs, lovely looking hotel in large grounds, v convenient for Gatwick, v friendly and efficient staff, everywhere looked v clean, bedroom comfortable and slept well both night, big fluffy towels, an excellent freshly cooked breakfast and all for less than £50 night.
The downside is that it does need lots of TLC, looks shabby, needs repainting and my shower needed replacing.
But it is cheap, staff are excellent with a super breakfast so v good value.
Thanks.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Iffy U, Front Office Manager at Regency Hotel Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Dear j w

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review.

I’m very happy to learn that you enjoyed the breakfast here. We have a small team of breakfast cooks who are enthusiastic about making sure you start your day with a filling meal.

We have an experienced team of housekeepers here who work very hard to maintain the cleanliness of the rooms. It’s great for us to hear that your liked your accommodation.

We have recently started to improve every aspect of our hotel. We are aware of the outstanding issues and are we will update everything as soon as we can. We are planning to repaint after the peak season, and bedrooms issues are being fixed daily. Thank you for your feedback and your kind words.

Please contact me on 01293 887 433 when you are next staying in the area and we will do our very best to look after you.

Kindest regards

Iffy

Reviewed 1 July 2017

A little homework told me that this would not be a glitzy, modern, luxury hotel and so il proved. But my room was quite spacious with desk, two chairs, wardrobe, chest of drawers as well as a slightly soft but very comfortable double bed with good linen. En suite was fine though the shower unit was a bit cramped. My room also had free wi-fi.
Ample breakfast, full or continental. Dinners, though not gourmet, were freshly cooked, good and wholesome: dining room staff were friendly, helpful and efficient as indeed were all of the staff from cleaners to the manager.
The hotel is faded but it was clean and relatively quiet. A ten minute drive to Gatwick Airport.
All in all, at around £40 per night + vat, it was extremely reasonable and I was more than happy on all counts.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Svenja L, Manager at Regency Hotel Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to hear that your stay with us was satisfactory and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

On opening the door to our room (16) the musty, damp smell was obvious. The bedroom window double glazing seal had failed and the glass was not clean. The window in the bathroom was not obscure glass so it was necessary to close the roller blind. This was filthy with mildew. The vinyl floor was stained. The shower door didn't close fully and the cubicle glass was limescaled. The shaver light cover was cracked. The bed sheet was stained. In our other room (15) the shower head was faulty (spray was not adjustable) rendering it unusable. General cleanliness in both rooms was substandard. The swimming pool was not usable (green water). When I addressed these issues with the desk on checkout I was told that she was sorry but the laundry was not her problem as it was supplied by a contractor and the cleaning issues were reflected in the price of the stay. With all these issues taken into account I would expect at least an offer of part refund

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is unfortunate that you didn't mention your grievances to us on arrival to give us the opportunity to rectify them, or move you to another room (as you stayed with us several days).

I have taken your comments on board and new blinds have now been ordered for all the rooms, the shower in room 15 was repaired as soon as you mentioned it to us, the limescale has been addressed and the swimming pool is now in use.

I would like to reiterate what I said on check out which was that the price reflects the fact that the hotel is in need of renovation, which has absolutely nothing to do with cleanliness. Our rooms are clean and our linen is outsourced to a reputable company and clean.

I notice that you forgot to mention or thank the staff member that every morning of your stay very kindly prepared a breakfast tray for you to take up to your room for a member of your party, even though we do not provide any type of room service.

I have revised the room check system to ensure that the room cleanliness is our highest priority.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Very sad run down hotel which is in a perfect setting..what a waste. Visited for a function, on entry the door mat is totally worn away which said it all for the rest of the function rooms. Certainly would not rush back.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Iffy U, Front Office Manager at Regency Hotel Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Dear S b

I'm saddened to learn that you found the door mat upsetting. We will get a new door mat.

Our function rooms are very popular, so I 'm flabbergasted to hear you were dissatisfied. I will take your comments into account and use your feedback in a constructive way.

Sincerely Yours

Iffy U

Reviewed 22 June 2017

The hotel has a lovely setting in the West Suusex countryside and from the exterior looks an ideal place to stay.
However once you enter the hotel it is clear that little money has been invested for many years and only the minimum of maintenance performed.
The rooms are very basic. The worst part of all is the bathrooms which apart from functioning appear to be falling to bits
On top of all of this the staff have the attitude that they are doing you a favour by letting you stay in THEIR hotel. We had a power cut whilst we were there and after trying to complain to the staff that we were unable to have any breakfast they just laughed at us and stated they just laughed at us and stated ‘that is how it is love’ and abruptly told us it was time for us to leave, which we gladly did. The staff would be more suited to an undertakers, and even so they would upset the good souls.
If you want to visit the true Fawlty Towers then go ahead, you may be amused but you will definitely not enjoy yourselves and will probably leave hungry and a bit dirty.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin P
Svenja L, Manager at Regency Hotel Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am a little surprised at the negative review that you have given us, as you stayed here 3 times within 7 days, and on the 3rd occasion neglected to pay your bill. As we discussed the first time you checked in, the price reflects the fact that the hotel needs refurbishment, you agreed with me.

I would just like to clarify that a power cut is not the fault of the staff, it has to do with the local area, which you would know having lived on the same road for many years. The reason you were not given breakfast was because, a. you didn't book your room with breakfast since you wanted an even cheaper rate and b. you came down an hour after breakfast had finished. My colleague still gave you some orange juice and offered you coffee.

So Mr Parker I would be most grateful if you could get in touch and pay your bill.

Svenja Lohmann