1,378 results
All reviews balcony overlooking wowcher deal buy a gift voucher lovely hotel evening meal superior room bar menu lovely setting function room night break short break both mornings bar area self service both nights breakfast was buffet style hotel is situated
Reviewed 11 December 2017

The stay was fine. Rooms were good,. Breakfast was average with no provision for veggie. The big disappointment was my wife phoned and asked for a room. Was quoted £145 and were quite rude if she didn't book then it would go up. I went online 2 minutes later and got a room for £69. Money grabbing but I guess we have to deal with it. Same review will go on tripadvisor.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
WayneJenson, General Manager at Buckatree Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Dear Greg,

As explained, the advertised rate quoted was correct. Nothing was hidden. No funny business going on. Same rate on our web site and other sites such as Booking.com. Nearer to arrival dates special offers are no longer valid over the phone.

The offer you booked on, Booze N Snooze should have been closed but you were fortunate to book on it before we had realised it was still open.

With only a couple of rooms left to sell it is normal, not just for us but for almost all hotels to put the rates up.

We have a variety of vegetarian items on offer at breakfast which include both our continental selections and hot items (eggs, mushrooms, hash browns, tomatoes and beans) vegetarian sausages are available on request.

However, the morning in question was Sunday 10th December. I am sure you will not have failed to notice some of the worst snow in the past 5 years descended upon us. Breakfast was particularly challenging as the road conditions were at the worst early in the morning. Breakfast was cooked and served by the duty manager who also slept at the hotel the night before. Our chef was unable to get to work until 10am. I appreciate this will be of no concern to you, after all, you are paying for something so you expect to get it.

Merry Christmas

Reviewed 9 December 2017

I will start with reception nice welcome very professional rooms allocated speedily we went to our rooms they were very nice clean and warm we went to the bar the staff were great very welcoming in the evening we went for dinner food was very good staff again nothing was to much trouble we stayed 2 nights we could not complain about about anything THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL THE STAFF AT THE BUCKATREE we will be returning

Room Tip: Rooms over the function suit are noisy but this was explained and we had no problem with that
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank john n
Reviewed 30 November 2017

We found a deal on a discount website for this 3 star hotel, it’s a good job, because I would have been asking for my money back, or refusing to pay. However, despite being told that we wouldn’t be charged until departure, the money left my account upon check-in. There is no luggage trolley available to get your things from the car park to the hotel entrance, which we have found available even in some budget hotels.

We visited here for 3 nights during one of the coldest spells this year, and the heating kept being switched off and not being switched back on until I contacted reception to complain about the cold. On the first morning’s breakfast we found out of date yogurts being served up. We then went out for the day at approx 10:00 returning again at approx 17:00, to find that our room hadn’t been serviced and that housekeeping had gone home. The room was eventually serviced by the duty Manager, We decided to go to the bar whilst we waited for the room to be serviced for over an hour, and weren't even offered a complimentary drink in a way of an apology. On the second and third nights there was a coach party of pensioners stopping at the hotel, but the heating still kept on being switched off. The breakfast on the second morning was an improvement on the first, but on the third morning the breakfast was cleared away before we and some other guests had had chance to get our selection from the buffet. Breakfast was served between 07:00 & 09:30, it was cleared away at approx 09:20.

Even though the hotel welcomed coach parties of pensioners, the corridors going to the rooms are full of steps and not a single hand rail to be seen. On the subject of hand rails there was only one poorly positioned one to hold onto when showering, which again is hardly suitable for pensioners.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
WayneJenson, General Manager at Buckatree Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Dear Adrian,

I am disappointed that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. Clearly, as a well seasoned traveller you will be aware that all properties are different. From the motorway services to the cheese shop (all of which you have also reviewed also!).

I am sorry but I am not going to entertain your 'review'

Regards,

Reviewed 29 November 2017

I was treated to 2 'romantic nights' away by my partner and was really looking forward to a relaxing time in what I imagined to be lovely surroundings . On arrival I noted that the place looked dated and there was nobody there to greet us. When I complained about the cleanliness of the hotel I did not feel my issue was taken seriously. The hotel itself is in need of a total makeover and a deep clean. Staff looked overworked and seemed unhappy, which did not create a great ambiance or make the stay a pleasant one......Avoid!

Stayed: November 2017
1  Thank Michelle B

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you have not enjoyed your romantic break with us.

I believe that we are in lovely surroundings (although you do not make it clear if you are disappointed in this aspect). The hotel was fully refurbished in a traditional style approximately 7 years ago. There are a multitude of photos online which you could have, and most probably did view before arriving. A modern hotel we are not.

I am concerned that you had issues with the cleanliness but you fail to highlight anything. The staff are actually very happy and work hard to please our guests. Admittedly we can get it wrong from time to time and your feedback will help us address this for the benefit of everyone else.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2017

We stayed 2 consecutive nights and I left some electronics catalogues and a work magazine on the desk in the bedroom during the 2nd day. I didn’t notice anything on returning to the room later that day but when I went to pack our belongings on the morning of the 3rd day there was no sign of the books. I can only assume that housekeeping cleared them as rubbish which was particularly annoying as they were still required and not placed in the bin for disposal. I have never experienced this before. Before breakfast, I reported the problem to the receptionist who said she would discuss with the relevant colleague from housekeeping. I asked again on checking out and was told that she had not yet been able to discuss the issue, but had our contact details. I therefore expected some kind of communication, whether it be positive or negative. After one week, no such communication has been received. In my opinion, the problem was not treated seriously and there was no real apology, concern or follow up. So, if you expect personal belongings not to be disposed of during the day, and any problems to be followed up, you may be disappointed.

The TV seemed to be the usual Freeview offering. However, some of the channels turned out to be a blank screen and many channels froze for a few seconds and were unwatchable.

The bed seemed to be sloping up towards the foot and the floor of the room seemed to be sloping to the side.

The bathroom was very sparsely supplied with towels and toiletries etc. However we later discovered extra towels in the wardrobe. There was no toilet roll holder, so rolls were placed on the cistern. The extractor fan was very filthy inside and wasn’t working. The door didn’t shut as it was too big for the frame.

The food was good and many of serving staff were young and whilst keen to help, lacked experience and training. E.g. leaning over diners when serving, having to be prompted to provide a steak knife for a steak meal and placing a coffee jug exactly where you would place your breakfast plate. The seat pads of the dining chairs were loose on our chairs but we were careful. However, a lady having breakfast at an adjacent table caught and injured her finger between the pad and the frame – beware of loose seats!

Mature barman had only started recently and was unfamiliar with draft drinks available and how to book drinks to a room.

We parked our car the first night under a tree without problem. We parked at a similar position on the 2nd night and found the car absolutely covered in bird droppings the next morning. OK we love birds and trees and can’t blame the hotel, but beware!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple