“Nice House, quirky rooms but overpriced restaurant”
Review of Chiseldon House

Chiseldon House
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed 14 August 2017

We booked accommodation at the Chiseldon House Hotel as an addition to a champagne afternoon tea gift from friends. Because we were arriving fairly late in the evening we also booked dinner in the hotel on the Friday night. We received a warm welcome and were given the key to our room (17) which was up 2 flights of stairs (that latter being narrow and winding - not good for someone with bad knees), comfortable with a small bathroom. : / for £140 per night. We came down for dinner on time and went into the main restaurant to find all the tables bare and a barman/waiter showed us into the 'Marlborough Room' - a small side room off the main hotel entrance with very bright lights and paint-chipped walls and another couple sitting to the side of us making small talk quite difficult. Apparently there was a classic car owners club that had booked the main dining room and we were thus relegated to this room. The staff were very young and reasonably attentive.
The belly pork main that we ordered was very small for the price but tasty and we were glad we ordered a side of chips (quantity 6 chunky chips) to supplement it.
The bar staff, particularly Steve and Yorik (forgive the spelling!) were great on both nights.
The first night did not go well - there was a sound of running water all night above our room, like someone was having a VERY long bath. We reported it to reception (Andrew) the next morning and after a really good breakfast went out for the day.
When we returned, Andrew had investigated and mentioned that a main water tank was above Room 17 and gave us the choice of 2 rooms to move into. We gratefully accepted a larger executive room and the second night went without a hitch.
Breakfast on both mornings was excellent, although a few guests had to wait up to 45 minutes to get theirs - a forgetful chef they were told...
All in all, for the hotel Manager/Owner: the hotel was pleasant but for a 3-star AA Hotel does not warrant the price, it needs an upgrade in many of its public areas and more reasonable portion sizes in the restaurant. Don't put guests in the Marlborough Room as an afterthought, and don't give out Room 17 unless guests can happily sleep through a suname.

Room Tip: Don't accept Room 17; see if there are deals to make the stay more reasonable on price
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Chiseldon House

Reviewed 7 August 2017

We were welcomed on arrival and shown to our table. Our menu wished us 'Happy Anniversary' which was a nice touch.

We were served with our nicely chilled champagne which was lovely, neither too dry or too sweet so suited both of us. Our lovely French waiter then took our order for sandwiches and drinks which were served about 10-15 minutes later showing that they had been freshly prepared to order rather than sat waiting.

The choice for sandwiches was good, as was the cucumber and green tea sorbet offered to start with. The sandwiches were delicious and with hindsight possibly we should have asked for more!

Unfortunately the scones were very dry and therefore inedible. Another waiter did bring further scones to the table but they were just as dry. The sponge cake was nice but a bit heavy - not light and fluffy as one would have hoped. The other sweet offerings were cheesecake and a tiny glass which contained what I believe to be Eton Mess. As I am not a cream lover this left me with the sponge and the very dry scones :-( .

Our waiter did do his best to resolve the situation but we did leave somewhat disappointed with our visit.

Maybe we were just unlucky !

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2017

I am a contractor in Swindon, and have stayed at the Chiseldon many times over the last few months. On the whole, the grounds are beautiful and the dining room staff are accommodating and lovely. Consistently, however, I was put in the worst rooms in the hotel even though I was a repeat and good customer. I was made to downgrade rooms once when THEY double booked by mistake. During the few hot days this summer, I had to practically beg for a fan to put in my 40 degree tiny attic room. The amenities are outdated, the breakfast is the same thing every morning, the walls are paper thin. The front desk staff treats you like a pest. If you have to cancel last minute, they charge you anyway. Really D- customer service. Go to Overton Manner instead. Nancy rocks.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

Chiseldon House serves High Tea in the best traditional way! We began with raspberry sorbet followed by fruit & plain scones served with clotted cream & strawberry jam. Next we were able to chose three sandwich options from a choice of six including three vegetarian options. The sandwiches ranged from the classic cucumber to goats cheese & pear wrap. The sandwiches were tasty and fresh. We then experienced a wonderful selection of homemade cakes! The savory items that day were Asparagus Wrapped in Parma Ham and Goat Cheese Salad. All washed down with an extensive tea choice, coffee or hot chocolate. We were celebrating my niece's upcoming wedding and the Chiseldon House included a greeting to my niece on our menus which was delightful. The service was professional, helpful and friendly. Not only is this a wonderful place for a celebration, it is a special place for anyone to enjoy a traditional Afternoon English Tea in a lovely country hotel with beautiful grounds.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2017

This was a surprise treat for my 80th Birthday organised by my Daughter and Son the day was a lovely early Summer Day and the Sun Hot there were Family and Old Friends making up a small group of Twelve for Lunch and so I could enjoy myself a room had been booked for my Wife and I for the night. Wine was supposed to have been made available for the arriving guests but this did not happen so my Son had to arrange for the pre lunch drinks.The Lunch was adequate but not a good standard, roast potatoes not crisp, yorkshire puddings soggy and only just warm etc etc. After lunch I went to Reception and asked about our room, a young man took me halfway up a double flight of stairs, pointed to a door and said "Through there Number 3". There was no offer to take our cases to the room.When everyone left my Wife and I went to our room and like all early Summer days the evening had gone chilly but there was no heating in the room, not even in the Bathroom and the Towel Rail was cold. We used the Bath and Shower and hung our wet towels on the railput our Dressing Gowns on (Supplied) and retreated to bed in them.Room Service was advertised until 9pm so at 8.30pm I rang Reception and Ordered a Chisledon House Club Sandwich. I was asked what I wanted on it and I said I wanted it as advertised on the Menu. About 10 minutes later a young man came to the room and said the Chef had gone home and that he was not allowed to use the cooker but that he could make me a Cheese,Tomato or Ham Sandwich. I asked for ham, a short while later he returned with the sandwich which was made out of cheap thin white bread and off cuts of ham (the ham was good). At sometime in the early morning I heard the central heating start up but when I got up at 8am it had gone off and the Bathroom Towel Rail was only luke warm and the Towels still damp.My wife had Breakfast in the room so I can not comment on that. I went down for Breakfast the side table of cereals,fruit and juice was available and coffee was served at table and
was fine. There was a Full Breakfast Menue and I chose "KIPPERS IN BUTTER" what I got was a Half of a Packet of Boil in the Bag Kipper that is just about the cheapest item on any Supermarket Fish Display, the butter usually comes as pat inside the bag. On booking out of the Hotel I was presented with the Bill for the stay
which later my Daughter and Son very cross as they had arranged that this should not have happened. Again there was no offer of any help with the luggage to the car.
I have the feeling that the Hotel Management is running the place on a shoestring as far as Private Guests are concerned and are more attuned to dealing with corporate events and visitors who perhaps happy to accept the above as it is there company paying rather than themselves. I hesitate to comment on the bar prices as I did not pay for them.

Room Tip: If properly presented (see above) Room 3 would be a nice room as it quite spacious
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dsmith876
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swindon
2.9 km away
6.3 km away
Jurys Inn Swindon
Jurys Inn Swindon
#1 of 25 in Swindon

Been to Chiseldon House? Share your experiences!