Chiseldon House
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
US$61
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$74
  • Restaurant
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
US$65
Cricklade House(Cricklade)
US$122
US$82
US$80
Premier Inn Swindon North Hotel(Swindon)(Great Value!)
US$91
PremierInn.com
US$91
PremierInn.com
All reviewssorbetafternoon teafinger sandwichesscones and cakescake standjam and creamwedding meallovely afternooncountry houselovely buildinglovely surroundingsvegetarian optionslarge roomonly stayed one nightwaiting staffthe main hotelexecutive room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

Our firm held our Christmas party here this year. There were approx 100 of us for a three course meal and disco. Food was excellent, service was great and the hotel was lovely. We stayed the night and the room was huge and so too the bathroom. Great night.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
John P, Owner at Chiseldon House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2017

Thank you very much for your kind comments, I am delighted you enjoyed your Christmas party at Chiseldon House. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2016

Had a very pleasant afternoon tea for my 50th birthday with my work colleagues, the setting was perfect. The tea was nice but my friend had a problem with the vegetarian options as we had 4 in the party and it was wrong. However I and my non veggie colleagues were happy with our food and tea choices except the ginger cake and scones were very heavy in bicarbonate of soda in that it was strongood flavoured. .other than that it was very pleasant.

Room Tip: I didn't stay here so can't comment.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you had an enjoyable celebration afternoon tea with us, happy birthday. I am sorry your friend had an issue with the vegetarian option, I hope this was raised with a member of staff and dealt with at the time. We cater for many different dietary requirements. Thank you for your comment on the cake and scones, feedback is always welcomed and useful, it has been passed onto the kitchen. We hope to see you welcome you back to Chiseldon House soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2016 via mobile

Friendly staff. Nice big room. Decor is typical country house style. My room had not been updated in a while, but that is not a bad thing as everything was in good order and appeared well maintained. Limited parking, so if you are going for an event with lots of people (i.e. Christmas Party) be early to get a spot, otherwise it will be a short walk to the nearest parking on the roadside.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
John P, Owner at Chiseldon House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and for your kind comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2016

This hotel is a 200-hundred year old Grade 11 listed building. There is a lot going for it; the public rooms have been sympathetically restored to a high standard; our room was beautiful; the staff were very helpful and friendly; and a cooked breakfast served at your table-so rare now.
However, we were staying for two nights at the end of November in near-frost conditions. The heating in our large room was controlled by central computer (rather than us) and went off at 23.30. I cannot remember when i last felt so cold! my wife and I are in our 80s. Obviously, heating a large old stone building without the benefit of modern heat-conservation measures (due to the listing) is a major expense, but the present economy is not the right one.
The other problem we had was Saturday dinner. There was a large function in the dining room, so we, and our two guests, were relegated to an auxiliary room (AKA the guests' lounge). We had inexperienced staff, and it was a long way from the kitchens, so that our courses were served two plates, then two a few minutes later. One of the main course extras arrived half way through the meal and the other as we were finishing! Our food was good, except for one main course, where the Pheasant was very over-cooked and some of its vegetables were cool.
Nevertheless, assuming they solve the lack of heat problem, we will stay again.

Taking on such a building as a modern hotel is a brave venture and they deserve to succeed. I wish them Good Luck!

Room Tip: If eating in, make sure main dining room is available
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. I am so glad you found our staff helpful and friendly. I sincerely apologise you and your wife experienced problems with the heating. We are in the process of implementing a new heating system, thank you for raising this issue for us to be aware of and learn from. We are constantly looking to improve our service; your comments have been passed on to relevant managers and for further training to place. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2016

We had lunch here to celebrate my husband's birthday and cannot speak highly enough of the professional attitude of the staff and the delightful extra touches, like the chocolate Happy Birthday greeting that was iced onto my husband's dessert plate. It was also a pleasure to have a waiter (Robert) who greeted us by name and continued to use our names when speaking to us during the course of the meal. Such a wonderful change from the dreadful "guys" which seems to have become a standard form of address by many restaurant staff these days.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments. I am delighted your husband’s birthday lunch was enjoyable. It is lovely to be able to pass on your comments to our staff, Robert especially. We hope to see you again soon.