“NIL RATING”

International Hotel
Ranked #27 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Booked family room through booking.com. I thought it was going to be a modern family room as advertised. It turned out to be a shabby, tatty old family room. I refused to stay and I'm still trying to get my money back. I would not recommend. Scam!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Jane M
IntHot, General Manager at International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed that you were not happy with your room. Unfortunately we were not given the opportunity to offer you an alternative room. We apologies if you found the advertising misleading, all our rooms are different and contain some beautiful features that we have maintained very well over the years.

The Hotel has been in Business for many years and we have kept the original features as this really appeals to our leisure tourism market.

We are a family run business that prides ourselves on our excellent service and homely atmosphere.

We have however processed a refund and hope for you to return to enjoy our great service here.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 21 August 2011

There are some nice hotels in the centre of Derby, but I wanted somewhere near to the Derby Royal Hospital. This hotel is about halfway between the two.

This was a fairly decent hotel - The rooms were quite nice - not amazing but pleasant and clean. The reception staff were particularly friendly and welcoming.

The things I think that might but people off are:

Some of the fixtures and fittings are becoming dated and there's certainly some wear and tear over time. I don't mind this at all - for me it makes it homely, but I know from reading other reviews people don't particularly like this.

They have functions of an evening. For instance, they had a singles night when I stayed. This might be an issue for light sleepers, but the hotel do warn guests about this both on their website and in several places around the hotel.

And finally, the mushrooms with the breakfast tasted like tinned mushrooms. I know - really minor and picky, especially for £40 per night including parking and breakfast for 2 of us - but I love my mushrooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boydus

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

We are currently going through a refurbishment, and the carpet is and has been replaced in some parts of the hotel.

We are under new management and have plans to invest in a lot of exciting new changes.

We apologies that the Mushrooms were not to your liking, we do however only cook fresh food in our restaurant.

We hope we can welcome you back for you to see this. We will pay particular attention to the Mushrooms ensuring there are perfect for your next stay.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 19 August 2011

It looks nothing like the photos on the net. Carpets thread bare absolutely minting wouldnt recommend it nd would not stay again. Uuurrrggghhhh skin crawling just thinking about it.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Bernilou
Reviewed 5 July 2011

i stayed at the international for 2 nights on 2/7/2011. on arrival i was greeted by very friendly hotel staff who were very helpful ,check in went smoothly and i was even asked if i would like my bags taken to my room. my room was on the third floor and the lift only goes to the 2nd floor and theres 4 floors altogether so bare this in mind when travelling with people with wheelchairs or pushchairs. on arrival at my room it was clean adequate i did have a single room and yes it was quite small but everything you needed was in there a small double bed over the bed light a cooling fan a iron a hairdryer tea coffee tray and a tv on a moveable stand the reception on the tv was not brilliant on all channels though you had 10 in total and i had a ensuite shower room again small but adequate and had what you needed shower toilet and wash basin, the shower i did strugle to get the temperature right it was always to hot there was complimentery toileries in the shower room to. there was no radio in the room which i think would of been beneficial to have. i ate in the restaurant on the sat nite and the food was freshly cooked to order it did take about 25minutes though but when arrived it was very fresh tasty and nice and hot i had dessert as well which was very light tasty and finished the meal of nicely. this meal was on a special at 2 courses for a tenna and it was well worth it. the staff in the restaurant were very helpful polite and provided a good service. i had breakfast there on the sunday and monday which again was very nice the only thing that i had a issue with was on the sunday it was buffeet breakfast and when i sat down to have mine at 9.30 it was semi warm if it was hot it would of been beautiful but then on the monday the breakfast was freshly cooked to order and that was lovely very fresh and tasty and again the service from the staff was very good they were very polite and helpful. the location is good the town centre is 5 to 10 minute walk away and the train station is 15 to 20 minute walk away dependant on your pace. the hotel is on a busy road so can be noisey so if you want it quieter request a room on the back away from the road. a good hotel for £39 b and b for 1 person for 1 night great value will definately be coming back

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Booked this hotel with booing.com after seeing pictures on the Internet . I thought I was getting a modern, stylish hotel at a really cheap deal !
I stayed in room 204 , the stairs to the room have thread bare carpets and the paint work is old and chipped . The room had a Orange dated bath suite with faulty taps and shower . The door had no lock to it just a chain for security . You could hear everyones conversations from the other rooms as well as the TV's ( I didn't need volume on mine) . You could hear music going on till all hours . I had a small baby with me and you could get nothing in the lift . No room for a pram , case ! It's made for one person only. It was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in .
Breakfast. The stay were nice but the service if hot food poor , I went up 4 times to try and get a hot breakfast ! They only cooked a few things at a time ! Only brought 3 hash browns out and they were still frozen in the middle .

Overall very poor hotel will not be staying here again

Mrs buttery