“Just love this hotel.”

Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Derby
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed for a weekend with my partner, daughter and her friend. We had rooms next to each other and it was handy to pop onto the balcony (and for fun!) if we needed to speak to each other. The whole of the hotel, and our rooms, were spotlessly clean and we just loved the gorgeous staircase and the lift to the upper floors.
The breakfasts were delicious, as was the afternoon tea we sampled on one of the afternoons. The food in the restaurant was also tasty and well cooked. It was served by attentive and friendly staff who were there if you wanted them but not so noticeable that it became uncomfortable. The only slight niggle, and this isn't the only hotel we have encountered this, is having an allocated amount to spend on food. We much prefer it in places where you pay the weekend price and that is it. Anything a little more expensive for the evening meal just has a supplement added to it. We did hear people on the next table complaining about this too so, maybe it would be a good idea for Menzies to consider this option.
Oh yes, the pool was also a delight. I don't always join my partner in hotel pools but this one looked so inviting, I couldn't resist. The changing room was clean too.
All in all, a really pleasant stay at Mickleover Court and, even though it is so close to a busy road there was no traffic noise whatsoever.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Relaxed33
Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Lovely hotel, spotlelessly clean, polite proffesional staff. First class food, great leisure facilities. Lovely comfortable room. Huge comfortable bed. Certainly good value for money. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gay m
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The hotel on the whole offers a nice weekend relaxation trip, recharging the batteries rapidly thanks to the gym/spa facilities.The room we had was above expectations(which is a rarity during a recession.) Clean and atmospheric.If it had been cleaned sooner than 4pm on the second day of our w/end stay I would have enjoyed it further.
The Brassiere was similarly impressive had the cost of a meal been clear for a pre-paid deal and adhered to by the staff who were clearly indoctrinated to hoodwink the "cheapo" customers .WATCH THE FINAL BILL ,FAMILIES WITH KIDS.
Footnote to the snotty little boy waiter who tried to embarrass us with our order -if you are that clever and middle class how is it that you are a waiter?
a

Room Tip: room 433 is a swish loft apartment and v good
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Jamie b
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here recently for 1 night my husband and 9 year old daughter to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. We have stayed at this hotel previously and have enjoyed both occasions. The staff were lovely, the hotel has a relaxed, chilled out atmosphere. Our room was really big with a huge King size bed and single sofa bed, lovely big bathroom and balcony. We had water, tea, coffee and biscuits left in the room. Everywhere was very clean. We used the leisure facilities and were lucky enough to almost have the pool to ourselves. We had light lunch in the bar area and stayed on the b,b and em basis. The restaurant is nice and the breakfast was excellent, the only complaint I would have is the lack of choice for the dinner when its all included. When we stayed previously, you could pretty much choose anything from the menu, however this time there was a very small selection of meals that were included in the price and an extensive menu that you had to pay a supplement for. Having said this though, the food we ordered was lovely, really tasty and well presented. We chose to have our coffee in the lounge area, my husband ordered for me a Baileys coffee. The barman charged my husband £10.50 for this and he did not question the price. I thought this was ridiculous so went back to the bar and asked was this price correct. The other barman said no, it was not and after a few minutes came over to us with a refund of £3.90 ! Making the coffee still pretty expensive at £6.60. We stayed at the Yew Lodge Hotel a few week's ago in Derbyshire, also a 4 star and you could select the majority of the menu for dinner with no extra charge, also the Baileys coffee there was £3.90. Much better value really. Having said this though we really did enjoy our stay and probably would return but the small niggles above have influenced my rating to a our 4 instead of 5.

Room Tip: Family room's are a really good size
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank kerri_sweeting
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Wanted a break away with my partner without having to travel far, and being from Nottingham this was the perfect location to get away from everyday life without going too far. Booked directly through the website for a superior double, requesting a balcony if available. On arrival (we got there 30 minutes before check in) they were extremely accommodating, letting us check in early, and even upgrading us to a suite as that was the only way they could accommodate our request for a balcony! Amazing! We made use of the leisure facilities which were nice and quiet despite it being a friday night, and ate in the restaurant. Again the quality was amazing, and the food was delicious. The room was fantastic, and I had one of the best nights sleep I have ever had. Breakfast again had no faults, with lots of variety, and extremely friendly staff. I couldn't believe how much we had got for our money! All in all I couldn't have asked for a more perfect night away.
I don't normally write reviews, but my experience was so outstanding I couldn't not.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple