All reviews motel style for sunday lunch birthday meal needed somewhere breakfast is served pudding a bit tired dressing table bar area an update main restaurant full english breakfast staff were pleasant trouser press food was lovely short stay the room was nice
Reviewed 17 July 2015

I always when about to write a review consider what do I think of my experience and then look at what everyone else says. I am probably part of the third of all reviewers who were not blown away by Littleover and so can only assume something went wrong this time.

I booked this on the back of the high trip advisor reviews and the price.

Firstly this is like an American Motel, with one block of accommodation, room upstairs and ground level. Reception is at the end and then there is a bar/restaurant to the left and a more formal dining area to the right of the bar area. I was not certain if that was available on the Wednesday evening, but didn't want to dress up and didn't want to pay la carte prices.

The receptionist was very good, knew my name and whilst there was some kind of staff meeting in reception, she made the effort to talk to me and that was good.

My room was okay, bit old fashioned in decoration and the only toiletries is a shower gel device. This is probably a mute point as this was the cheapest place available to me, but I just was a bit surprised.

I went to the bar for a drink and prices were reasonable, just under £4 for a pint of cider and with a good selection of drinks. I later had red wine, which was okay and a good price £5.15 for a large glass of the Merlot (4 or 5 options in red by the glass)

The food was an average price, but have to admit the burger options with a maple glazed bacon and cheese topping, really! Even the chicken burger came with a topping that just put me off. I ended up going for the 8 oz rump with chips and accessories. I have to say I was not blown away by it, the staff serving me were lovely, but the chips were awful, there is no way that this was the first time they had seen the deep fryer, as they were dry and not good. I did contemplate sending them back, but if on a quiet night that it is how the chef sends them out, then that is there standard! I did it eat it all as I was hungry.

I had as sound a sleep as I am having at the moment, so no complaint there

In the morning I went to breakfast about 8.30 (served 7 to 9) and again was underwhelmed. It must have been ten minutes or so before the waitress came out and I order straight away. The cereals, toast and coffee etc. are help yourself (The coffee had been filtered sometime ago and I suggest tea which you make yourself)
The breakfast was well presented and looked good, but the scrambled egg (what little was there) was quite rubbery (other option is poached, probably a safer bet)

The only other point to mentioned to the side of the property is building works, it did not unduly bother me, but might light sleepers

Overall as said staff ace, really good, price for room, drinks very good, food not impressed. I have to say I see many people have raved about this place and on the night some people did say they were impressed. I am not overly fussy, but feel that it is only fair to highlight these and just maybe I was unlucky?

Room tip: NO recommendations, all the same
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Steve J
Reviewed 12 July 2015

The first thing that made Littleover Lodge Hotel stand out was the price. The eating options are Bentleys Restaurant or The Lodge bistro. We settled for the bistro and the meal was superb. They also have a clear understanding of vegetarianism and veganism too, as shown by the response to my query about the listing on the menu of parmesan cheese. Turns out to be a veggie version they use. It's a motel style arrangement, with air conditioning in the rooms.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2015

We booked this room as a 1 night stop over on the way down south as it was very little more than a Travelodge and included breakfast. We read other reviews and booked the larger suite for around £5 more ( I think £55 ish in total) which turned out to be a large lounge/seating area with downstairs bathroom and the sleeping area /bedroom on a mezzanine level. We ate in the restaurant- good value at £6.25 for a carvery and the breakfast was absolutely fine too. The bed wasn't the comfiest- it was rather hard and the decor/furnishings were a bit dated, but overall- very good value for money.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2015 via mobile

What a find! This has got to be the best deal we've had in many a year. Paid £44.50 for a double room with all the necessary facilities ( en-suite, tea, coffee, TV,) and a cooked breakfast for both of us. The receptionist was wonderful, so polite and helpful and the room was spacious and very comfortable. Rounded off with a great breakfast. We are having to be in Derby again next week and have already booked our room and this time we'll arrive in time to try out their restaurant.

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank peterhampton
Reviewed 1 July 2015 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed of visit. We started with the garlic mushrooms followed by, The braised beef. Which was loverly, we couldn't fault it. The Italian owner, was most attentive and charming. There is ample parking, and a little outdoor seating for those sunny summer days We will be back.

Date of stay: June 2015