“Couldn't wait to check out”

Hotel du Vin and Bistro
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
“Couldn't wait to check out”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This hotel is looking very tired and housekeeping is lacking in lots of areas.
The first room I was allocated was so small and depressing. I don't know why such a small room would be decorated in such dark colours. The window overlooked a pub and as I was able to clearly see into the pub I am sure customers of the pub could see into my room, therefore I had to close the curtains, making the room even darker.
The bathroom is in need of some updating and hadn't been cleaned properly and there was an occasional smell of stale urine, not sure if there's a drainage problem.
There has been no thought to the set up of the room as mirrors are not positioned near plug sockets, poor lighting near mirrors and the tea & coffee making facilities are placed in the bottom of the wardrobe....very hygenic (not) and useless anyway as there wasnt anywere suitable to plug the kettle in. I can honestly say I have stayed in better Travelodges. The room is no where near the standard of what a boutique hotel should offer.

The studio suites are no better. Again very poorly set out, both in the living area and the bathroom. Cleanliness of the room was very poor and I have to say I found this throughout the hotel. I was going to take a bath but picking up on the lack of cleanliness I ran my hand around the bath before running it, the near side was fine but at the back of the bath my hand was covered in white marks, or to put it bluntly,,,,,scum. I decided not to take a bath.

Room service menu is limited to full meals, no snacks, sandwiches, light meals?
Parking is a nightmare, if you manage to get a space at the front of the hotel in their allocated spaces this will cost £10 for 24 hours, which is average for Harrogate, but I hope you don't drive anything bigger than a fiesta because the spaces are extremely tight. If you don't manage to get a hotel space then be prepared to constantly fill the parking meters or moving your car.

The hotel is ideally positioned in Harrogate, central to everything. The size of the beds and bedding is excellent but these are the few things I can say about this hotel. I think in the right hands and a refurbishment this could be a fabulous hotel but in my opinion it is no longer a trendy boutique hotel.
I left feeling very frustrated, but thankful I'd checked out.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Lanniespice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
england
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We often have weekend breaks and found this gem two years ago.Its decor and service are second to none,all the staff are curteuos and attentive and nothing is too much trouble.We love its central location and private parking and once you arrive you can just relax and be well looked after.The hotel have several rooms which are located from outside which lends itself to privacy although there is some noise from footfall from the ground floor.The interior rooms we have had are of a high standard and more than comfortable with beuatiful bedding and comfy beds and pillows. All the rooms are of high standard which mini bars coffee machines and toiletries and robes so less packing.Very close to all shops and restaurants and bars.This being said they have a great bistro and bar with an outside courtyard where you can have lunch.My husband is partial to a good cigar and they have a humidor with a reasonable selection to pick from and as the courtyard has heaters he can enjoy a good relaxed smoke .All in all we cannot fault this hotel or staff and have been several times Harrogate is a lovely town with plenty to do it even has its own turkish baths.

2 Thank kath947
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Had a fabulous stay here as part of my 40th birthday celebration weekend, room was fantastic. Location excellent too.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Over the last four years we have stayed and dined in DdVs in Bristol, Poole, York and now Harrogate. Our overall impression is that the HdV chain is no longer the standard by which other boutique hotels should be judged. Other hotels seem to have progressed, but HdV has slipped backwards (or at least only stood still). How many other boutique hotels still use bulky cathode ray TVs?

At HdV Harrogate, our second floor room was good, but no wow factor. Room was a bit too dark (e.g. desk in the corner of the room not illuminated by ceiling lighting and no desk lamp. There was a coffee machine in the darkest corner of this desk, but it was too dark to use the machine.

The most disappointing aspect of the HdV Harrogate was the bistro. We had breakfast there on two days. The first time I found the Full English breakfast really quite bland. The second time I ordered a well done omelette and specifically stated that I did not want any "runny" egg. I was served an under cooked and inedible omellete. We ate in the bistro on one night. We found the sommelier far too pushy, he really did not listen to our requirements. In fact he was so pushy that we sent him away so that we could make our meal choices - yet he still brought champagne apperitifs that he thought we wanted. Perhaps he should spend more time listening to people's requirements rather than assuming he knows what the customer wants. Unfortunately, the meal itself did not erase the memory of the pushy sommelier. I was served a dry, tough and warm steak. My preference is a moist, tender and hot steak. The steak was accompanied by warm "fat fries" and a tiny saucepan of cold bearnaise sauce - I suspect that the meal was left standing far too long before being served.

On a positive point, all the staff (with the exception of the pushy sommelier) were friendly, professional and courteous.

2 Thank Robert15101955
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Having chosen to stay in the hotel due to a family emergency so, we didn't spend as much time as we wanted to in our room, but it was lovely. I desperately wanted to use the free standing bath, but didn't have chance, however the room was comfortable and luxurious. On arrival, the receptionist was very friendly and polite, and sorted out everything we needed for our weekend stay. Even the manager carried our bags to our room! Our room overlooked Harrogates famous stray, and was very spacious. I wish we had had more chance to spend time in it to be honest!

We chose ate in the bistro on a whim, and I have to say that the entire experience did not disappoint! The a la carte menu was extensive, it took me a while just to make a decision on a starter. I chose the smoked haddock and leek risotto as a starter, and my partner chose the parfait and both were exquisite. Our main course consisted of a fantastic T-bone steak with fat chips, and a duck breast with creamy cabbage. Both again were to die for. We couldn't quite manage a dessert so we chose to share a cheeseboard. The sommelier organised a glass of port for my partner and it complimented the cheese fabulously.
As for the service, well I would disregard the below comments, because the all the staff within the hotel and restaurant are true professionals. The wine service was fantastic, and the waitresses were friendly and knowledgeable. The girl that brought the cheese tray to us was brilliant, and I would recommend anyone who enjoys a decent cheeseboard to order one.

Overall, I can say that we found this little gem by accident, and can definitely state that I will be recommending and visiting this restaurant again.

1 Thank sopie40