“Beautiful”

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Unfortunately we only stayed one night in this splendid hotel, our room was modern, clean the bed was comfortable couldn’t fault it one bit.
The staff friendly, pleasant and couldn’t have helped enough with our stay, then the food to top a great night away, we will be staying again in the near future.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,084)

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Being only approx. 45 minutes away from Harrogate, we visit 2 or 3 times per year for long weekends, shopping & enjoying what for us is one of the best towns in the UK! We have stayed in a number of different hotels in the town over the years. Having stayed at the Majestic on a number of previous occasions for both business & leisure I thought we'd book & also include some treatments in the Spa & enjoy the onsite Gym & Pool facilities. The hotel is without doubt an impressive building & one that I know will take an extraordinary amount of time & money to keep up with maintenance etc & with this type of old building you don't expect everything to be shiny & new, that's part of the character! However this was totally spoilt by the staff, the service & in some cases the expectation of you the guest for what you should do & or wait for! We arrived earlier than the advised 3pm (still very late vs some other hotels) check in so we could make the most of the day. Leaving the bags wasn't a problem but the very scripted curt commentary of 'not being allowed to check in before 3pm' seemed to set the tone. We returned just before 3pm to find the expected queue (approx. 7 separate check in parties of varying numbers). Reception was manned by what seemed to be 2 frantic ladies reading the same script for each check in party. This is expected & they were doing their best but it seemed several other staff members who could see the queue growing & were aware of the speed simply walked in & out of reception without a glance. Again I understand that not all staff are trained or available to simply go to another job but nothing was actioned by anyone despite the growing numbers. I'm sure when they have expressed very clearly that you cannot check in until a specific time they would then have the numbers in place for the definite rush that will happen? Check in was just over 20 minutes! Room was nice & as expected. Getting ready for dinner on the Saturday night was hindered by the lack of hairdryer in the room. We checked & re-checked. We called reception for around 10 minutes with no answer, we rang housekeeping a number of times, again with no answer. I resorted to going back to reception, queued again for around 5 minutes & respectfully advised the receptionist of the lack of hairdryer & the fact that no-one answered the numerous calls I had made from the room, to which she simply stated she was busy! Whilst advising me she was busy the phone just rang & rang, which was totally ignored. She informed me I had got a hairdryer & instructed me where this should be in the room but to ring down if there was an issue & she would keep an eye on the phone to check my room number when it came up. Back up I trotted to discover the type of desk she described was not even in the room & as such rang back down to tell her such. You guessed it, no answer!!! Back to reception I went, albeit slightly more exacerbated. Again another 5 or so minute queue & managed to see the same young lady as previous & re-explained the issue. She tried to get hold of housekeeping (which I could have told her wasn't going to be successful!) to then be told sorry, she would keep trying & let me know when she could find 'something'! This is now 20 - 25 minutes later & the birthday girl still has wet hair & our dinner reservation was fast approaching! I politely stressed that this wasn't quite what I was looking for & that I thought she needed to action someone else to find a hairdryer. Thankfully one of the ladies in the back office was listening to the conversation & thought she had one behind a desk. She couldn't promise it was working but we could try! I asked her to plug in & check before running back upstairs yet again only to have to comeback down. This took just over half an hour to resolve with me doing all the running around. I know this is quite specific in terms of a problem but the bigger issue is the lack of reception cover at a time the hotel should know would be a peak period & the obvious decision/clear instruction to not answer any calls to reception. Surely these calls should be answered to avoid the guests coming into reception (thinking as I did that maybe the phone wasn't working), thus creating more of a queue? I counted 3 or 4 additional staff behind reception in various guises but nothing was actioned by anyone to divert calls, assist check in etc. I stop in hotels weekly for business so understand the pressures of the staff, who do in the main work tirelessly to make everyone's stay the best it can be. So its a shame when being unprepared & or expecting the guests to run around albeit by default to then be able to enjoy their break is actually part of the break!? There are a lot of hotel choices in Harrogate & competition for business is high. We are returning later in the year between Xmas & New Year but will likely choose another hotel based on this weekend. In summary: Hotel beautiful, town beautiful but more notice required to assist reception, maybe bring the Concierge back? Check out was manned only by one gentleman at 11.00am & the obvious queue! this needs addressing guys!

Room Tip: Garden/Town view
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank t0wnfan
Reviewed 18 October 2017

A one night midweek stay with 4 friends. We had booked standard rooms and obviously wasn't expecting anything palatial But had not expected them to be so awful, (they were nothing like the photo) I appreciate the hotel is old but the rooms were like walking into something from the 50s besides the very old decor they had not been maintend to a good standard, curtain pelment hanging down, scruffy wallpaper, and very univiting bathrooms. That said the receptionist (sorry didn't get her name) was extremely helpful, and we upgraded our rooms to Deluxe. Wow What a difference it felt like we had moved to a different hotel lovely rooms and decor with very nice en suites. After returning later that evening from dinning out we went to the bar for coffee! Where we were told "sorry no coffee because I have cleaned the machine" not acceptable. This situation was rectified once again by a lovely gentleman on reception who personally went off and made them for us after apologising for the bar staff. We would also like to say a big thank you to Darren who then Offererd his assistants getting us more coffee and liquor First class service Darren.

Room Tip: Definitely book a Delux Room
Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Just arrived home after a wonderful time at the majestic hotel. My friend and I went as a treat for are birthdays...... we had a premier room and it was spotless . And they had put chocolates and fruit with a birthday message for us both..... what a lovely touch. Everything in the room was top notch. We had a 3 course evening meal.... what a treat , every course was amazing, the staff were really pleasant and nothing was too much trouble. Got up for breakfast and we wasn't disappointed ..it was just as lovely. We carnt wait to go back. FANTASTIC!!!.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2017

A lovely old building in the centre of Harrogate and you can quickly see where it got its name from, when you look up at it.
The room was very clean and modern inside and the bed was comfortable.
Staff were very friendly and polite throughout the stay and the customer service was just right.
The quality of food was excellent in both presentation and taste.
The only negative comment i would make, was that you are charged for parking.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple