US$102
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Dunbur Lodge(Wicklow)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsrecommend this hotelbit datedshort breakold stylebreakfast menufish and chipscomfy bednice stayexcellent qualityroom was largefirst morningtea and coffeeboth nightsfood was lovelylorrainestrength
Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

We thought it looked lovely on entering. Our bathroom in our room could use some serious updating....crumbling edging and rust looking marks. The restaurant was terrible. The hamburger was tasteless and the fries came from MacDonald’s but were dryer and cold. My beef sandwich was supposed to have crispy onions on top but they were cold and chewy. Beef was dry but had some flavour. Restaurants as completely empty and now we know why. We actually warned people on entering to go elsewhere. We have never done that in our entire lives!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2018

We were a group of 10 people who travelled to Wicklow for a 50th Birthday Celebration. We were very pleasantly surprised, after reading some not too complimentary reviews, that we loved the hotel. The Staff were brilliant, especially Lorraine on reception who couldn't have helped more. The only complaint I would have was that the breakfast took too long. Apart from that all 10 of us had a great stay and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

We arrived for Paddy' s weekend & were impressed by the Grands new make over, I used to work in the Grand a good 24yrs ago in its hay day. Reception looked very plush, the bar & breakfast room had been revamped, you could smell the fresh paint in the stair well & the new carpet.
I was just begining to wax lyrical about the Hotel still being great until we got to our bedrooms & that's when it when downhill. I had walked into some kind of time capsule, the bedrooms looked almost identical to those of my youth, old furniture, dated decor, ancient phone & kettle the bathroom still had the old bathroom suits. Now the room was very clean but very tired & that I could forgive but latches on the windows being broken so that the wind howled through it & the bite of the snowy air wasn't ok, neither was the cold shower at peak times in the morning. I was not alone my family were spread out over two other rooms & were having window problems, one door wasn't working properly & we were generally disappointed with the state of the rooms. As much as I loved the massive chandeliers in reception the renovation money would have been better spent on new windows.
Breakfast was gorgeous on all 3 mornings with good portion sizes, the breakfast staff & receptionists were friendly. When we were there the bar was closed without any explanation, we were simply told it was shut today, we were perplexed as we had arranged to meet friends in the bar for the advertised "every Sunday live music"! We heard later in another pub that the Grand's bar had been damaged after some undesirables had "trashed it" if that was the case why not just explain the situation instead of the shroud of secrecy which was just irritating.
So I'm undecided hence the average rating, Pros: it's in a prime location, the space open to the general public was lovely, the food was lovely, great shower pressure. Cons: The rooms are unacceptably dated, numerous windows don't shut properly, shower was cold unless you were up early or waited till later to take a shower, Wi-Fi strength was poor, inconvenient keys for room doors which we all had to battle with to lock each time we went out, Grouchy bar man & it's way over priced for the rooms being in that state. Local rumour says the upgrade budget was limited but hopefully they'll manage to give it the renovation it needs to bring it kicking & screaming into 21st century but they are most definatley trying to restore her to her Glory days. I genuinely wish the new owners the best of luck & hope you make her great again!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Hungry-Heather78
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Review for the restaurant. The place was empty, we called in 3-4pm. The decor was nice and staff were pleasant. It has changed layout inside recently. The food was very enjoyable, The Grand steak, although it was €19

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Sue B
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Stayed here while working in Wicklow in Nov - Dec 2017 and while it needed an updating as far as the carpet and painting was concerned, I found no real complaint with any of the rooms I stayed in. Clean, warm, a decent flow from the shower and a really decent breakfast in the morning.

Since then, (April 2018) a fresh coat of paint, new carpet and a seating area outside the front gives a pleasant feel. Yes, the lounge as opposed to the residents lounge could do with an updating, but the staff made up for that as far as I was concerned.
Hope to be back later in the summer.

Eamonn Dublin