“Fabulous gardens........Dreadful, way overpriced cafe.”

National Botanic Gardens, Kilmacurragh
Ranked #17 of 129 things to do in County Wicklow
Reviewed 1 November 2017

Last visited & reviewed these gardens & (Actons) cafe in May 2017. Gave them both top marks. Visited again on 1st Nov 2017 @ lunchtime, the gardens are better than ever, the cafe, sadly, has gone way downhill! At least, it was on the day we were there. There were two obliging but helpless young ladies behind the counter, enquiries from customers for most types of food, even basics such as bread, sandwiches, rolls, baguettes, knives, spoons, condiments, relishes were met with, "No, sorry, we don't have any here right now" or "No, not right now, I'll see if I can get you some". We asked for two chicken baguettes with stuffing, no butter, just mayonnaise. Like those in the queue ahead of us we were told we could only have white bread. The stingy helping of mayonnaise was spread so thinly I asked for extra mayo, only to be told "There's none here now, I'll get some & bring it to you as soon as I can". The sprinkling of stuffing was minute which was just as well, it looked (& subsequently tasted like) flavourless sawdust. When I was handed the "two" sandwiches I said, "I asked for two, not one sandwich" only to be very pleasantly told, "Sorry, it's the size of the bread we use, the slices are small so it looks like a half sandwich, but it's our full sandwich, actually a lot of people think it's only half a sandwich"!!!!!!! Whatever way they paint it, by any standards it's a miserable half sandwich, at best.......@ €5!!!!! That'd work out @ €10 for what most people would call a normal sandwich!! Coffee was €3 each! The extra mayo I'd asked for (to provide some moisture) arrived halfway through my (half) sandwich, the promised knives never arrived &, in desperation, I used a fork (there were plenty of those!) to stir my coffee. Two "half" sandwiches & two coffees for €16!!! Would I go back again? Yes........if I win the Lottery & if I'm not hungry. But I'll definitely visit the gardens again.

All reviews
"wonderful plants"
in 3 reviews
"dogs allowed"

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Lovely gardens in Co. Wicklow for the whole family to enjoy. Plants are named and the trails are not too steep and wheelchair friendly.
They give free guided walks, their are good facilities and there is a cafe there. Cant comment on this as we brought a picnic....
Easy to find as it is Well signposted the whole way but entrance needs a sign-we drove straight pass and noticed that all other vechiles had done the same....
Worth a visit!

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Nice gardens, they are still a work in progress but they are very interesting. Guided tours daily. Nice coffee shop and picnic area. Dogs allowed which is nice.

1  Thank VLLVBelgium
Reviewed 24 July 2017

Beautiful garden to dander around. We picked one of the hottest days to visit so got to see it at its best. As it was a Monday it wasn't too busy. Free entry and a safe car park was also a bonus. A must for anyone who likes gardens.

1  Thank Jane Q