“Night away ”
Review of Talbot Wexford

Talbot Wexford
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Wexford
Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely night away in this Hotel, very friendly and accommodating staff. Nice food and the bar is lovely also, room very nice and lovely view from room 230. Been here before and would go back anytime good deals and barging to be had.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 January 2017

Unfortunately this was the worst meal of our whole 10 days in Ireland. We stopped here for food, were put near a table right across from the door (people constantly walking past) and had a main each. I had thai green curry, which looked disgusting, and tasted even worse! Very concealed and definitely microwave food!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aliciahoad
TalbotWexford, Manager at Talbot Wexford, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2017

Dear Aliciahoad,

Thank you for your feedback, we welcome all feedback both positive and negative.

Our Bar Area is free seating unless you arrived at a time that our bar was particularly busy, your review doesn’t mention when you dined with us. The area where you were seated is actually the most popular area for people to sit when they dine but we are lucky to have so many options throughout our Ballast Bank Bar.
I am very surprised to hear you did not enjoy our Thai Green Curry as it is one of our more popular dishes and one that we receive many compliments for.

Did you advise your waiter / waitress of your complaint? I have spoken to our management team and we don’t have any reference to the below feedback.
I would really like the opportunity to speak to you about your experience, could you call me directly on 053 9122566?

Deputy Manager

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Talbot with my Wife two kids and 30 friends approx who checked in and out over a three to four day period as seperate families.

On arrival at the Talbot Hotel I would like to say the staff were pleasant, informative and welcoming but unfortunately I can't. Check in was conveyer belt type and we were told absolutely nothing about the Hotel facilities or even directions to our rooms. Luckily our family had already checked in earlier so we recieved information from them.

Family rooms are spacious and clean upon checking in but over a three day stay we recieved no cleaning service or morning papers. Beds unfortunately we're tired and lumpy, a bit like me

So we checked in, dumped all bags to the room and went down to have dinner or so we thought. The kids were hungry after a two hour drive. I walked into the restaurant and asked for a table for four, two adults two children.

Here's were it gets interesting.

Picture this, Bar/Lounge/Bar Food/Restaurant with around 40 people sitting and eating. The rest of the food area was empty with signs on 75% of all the tables which said RESERVED. The rather abrupt cheeky lounge person simply said "no tables, all seats are reserved" I explained to him we were residents in the Hotel and we had driven two hours to get here and I would like to have dinner in the Hotel. "Sorry I can't do anything" he said. I asked for the manager and stated to the bar person that this was "unacceptable, I am a resident in the Hotel who would like to have some bar food" The floor manager was summoned and he explained the tables were fully reserved and there would be no availability. Bare in mind, this is approximately 17:00hrs the place is half empty and the tables are reserved for internal and external patrons later in the evening. There is absolutely no reason we can't be seated for 30 to 40 minutes on one of the empty tables.

After some discussion with the Manager we eventually got a table, we ordered some food and although we waited for 30 minutes to actually get a meal it was of good quality and reasonably priced 'when you actually get it'

So we have a concern! A group of us are down for New Years celebrations all tables around us are RESERVED but there's hardly anyone in the place. There's a second Lounge area which is also empty but fully RESERVED and so we made enquiries about New Years Eve and the availability of tables. The Manager sat with us and fully agreed the tables around us should not be reserved as the residents are restricted and there is also a possible loss of revenue. It's a NO BRAINER!

We were assured the tables will not be reserved for New Years as it is far too busy which was a relief OR SO WE THOUGHT.

We went to see the sites in the Town for a few hours and had some fun with the kids and decided to go back to the Hotel to watch the soccer. We had good tables in front of the TV and ordered food while watching the game. The kids were settled and we assumed this was ideal for a couple of hours.

THIS IS RESERVED MOVE ALONG?

At 15:30 hrs the barmaid asked us to leave the side lounge as this was reserved from 16:00 hrs for a wedding. We didn't leave the lounge until after the game was over but here we are again, restricted, treated like second class patrons, completely disrespected to the point were we are beginning to feel unwelcome and obviously lied to by the manager.

THE THREE HOUR MEAL

We booked dinner in the main restaurant which was disappointing and very long winded. We sat at 18:30 for dinner to be served at 20:15. The meal was an absolute disaster, so much so some of us had to leave before dessert as all the tables were being taken in the main lounge. The meal took three hours?? The plot thickens!

IT'S ALL RESERVED

The Manager had clearly stated the night before that the lounge area will not be reserved anywhere due to the New Years celebrations. The whole place was reserved, the main lounge RESERVED, side lounge FULLY RESERVED for a wedding, it was extremely frustrating.

We managed to get a table in two different sections of the bar and made the best of a bad situation.

This Hotel is a non runner for me. My wife and I frequently stay in Hotels throughout the year and so we are accustomed to the basic standards which should be applied to all patrons.

We were treated as unequal residents, forced to move around and beg for places to eat, lied to my management. We will never stay in this Hotel again. Out of the 20 adults with our group none have said they will be returning.

David Flynn & Co.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank babyfingers75

Dear Mr Flynn,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We very much appreciate your feedback both positive and negative.

Our reception area can be very busy at times and especially on the date you arrived as we had a full house checking in which of course is no excuse for the fact you felt you were on a conveyer belt. Since you stayed we have opened an extra check in area to assist with volumes of guests checking in.

We have spoken with our accommodation department and they have advised that all guest rooms were serviced the dates you were staying. By any chance would you have had a Do Not Disturb sign on your door? With regards to the newspaper, they are delivered upon request on check in and we have no request from you for a newspaper. They are also available from our front desk each day. Perhaps this wasn’t advised to you on check in and we will ensure our reception staff do this for future check in’s.

I am disappointed to hear of your experience regarding seating in our Bar Area. The area where you tried to get seating is in our Ballast Bank Office which is sometimes blocked off for a function in the hotel which was the case on the day you arrived. Our Bar was very busy with other residents and locals dining and while we couldn’t accommodate a group of your size immediately we did offer to accommodate you once an area became available in our main Ballast Bank Bar. We normally only reserve our Lobby area for Afternoon Tea Bookings only and ensure there is other tables available for our guests, however on this occasion we had a group of elderly guests, some with disabilities who requested an area in the lobby area for dining and while we wouldn’t normally adhere to this request given the circumstances we did. I am delighted to hear your group enjoyed your food once you dined with us.

New Years Eve is a very busy night in our hotel. Our Ballast Bank Office (the side Lounge you refer to) was blocked off for a private function of which all were residents in the hotel and they had pre booked this area well in advance given the size of their group. No tables in our Bar Area were reserved on New Years Eve. Our Lobby Area was once again taken by the same group of residents who were with us for a couple of nights.
If you have a large group and you wish to dine together we would recommend that you pre book your meals with us. This will ensure that you all get to dine together. At no stage did we intend to make you feel like second class patrons and I am sorry to hear you felt this way.

David, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience with us by phone and I would ask if you could please call to speak to me directly on 053 9122566 as our management team felt they did the best for your group given your requirements to dine all together.

Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 8 January 2017

Stayed night 7 January. Have been in hotels all over Ireland and over the world and that hotel worst one I have ever stay in. The room very small , carpets dirty and staines over. Bathroom dirty and filthy, shower broke, drain bloked. Door saddle its extremely dirty. Room dusty. Table light didnt work and hair dryer not work. Outside window ventilation fan from kitchen-noise all night. Terribly!!!!

Room Tip: nothing.stay away!!!
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank Vanda D

Dear Vanda D,

Thank you for your below trip advisor review, we appreciate all feedback that will assist us improving our product and service.

I am not sure what room you stayed in at our hotel as we have had no reports of any Shower Breakage and Table Light not working. I can assure you all our guestrooms are cleaned to a very high standard.

Did you advise reception of your complaint? I have spoken to our management team and we don’t have any reference to the below feedback.

Deputy Manager

Reviewed 5 January 2017

We booked a family room. On arrival we were told it would not fit a babys cot. We were advised to upgrade to a superior room and were charged extra for this. I noticed while my baby was crawling on the floor that night, the carpet was filthy. There were toe nail clippings on the carpet! The receptionist came up and hoovered the room at about 10 pm. The bathroom floor was not cleaned either, it was sticky. The window sill was very dirty with black areas and hairs.The baby's feet were black after our 2 days there crawling and walking on the carpet. The young girl said twice she would make a note of it, on the friday night and on checkout and someone would be in touch. We have heard nothing since.

Room Tip: Check the size of the room when booking.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank chanel791
TalbotWexford, General Manager at Talbot Wexford, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your invaluable feedback. We sincerely apologise for the below standard experience you had with us and are delighted we were able to make contact with you and discuss the incident. We hope to see you at the Talbot Hotel Wexford in the near future.

Kind Regards
Dick Walsh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wexford
0.7 km away
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown
19.5 km away
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Talbot Wexford? Share your experiences!