“Perfect veggie meal”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Wexford, Ireland
“Perfect veggie meal”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Several friends rated this place highly - but as vegetarians, himself and I are often left underwhelmed by the token veggie dish on the menu of most restaurants. We're not hard to please, but when I go out I want to eat something special that I don't cook regularly myself. Anyway, I remembered Warren Gillen's award winning mushroom risotto a few years ago during his time at La Riva - yum - so was looking forward to my first visit to Cistin Eile.

Vegetarians know better than to expect choice on a menu, but there were two veggie starters - my husband and one of our companions had the mushroom soup and said it was amazingly good. I loved my dainty beetroot and goat's cheese - crunchy and tasty. Our main course was spicy Puy lentils with various additions including a poached egg on top. Sounds a little strange I know but we both thought it was great. 10/10 for presentation and flavour.

The dessert menu didn't do the desserts justice. I chose the apple crumble because I wasn't sure I fancied the other options, but it was petite and gorgeous (I also sneaked some of husband's rum and raisin ice cream which zinged). Service was pleasant, friendly, well-paced and not obtrusive. My companions said the wine was good - and their two bottles didn't break the bank either. The (set) menu for 4 + 2 bottles house wine and a glass of sparkling water came to €132 so can't complain.

Just a couple of observations - not enough to mark this excellent restaurant down from 5 well-deserved stars, but perhaps worth just mentioning. The waiter had to be reminded to bring my sparkling water - so while everyone else was toasting each other with wine, I was left with an empty glass. I'm sure this was just an oversight, but I feel everyone should be looked after equally.

I also wonder whether it is entirely necessary or sensible for a waiter to fill everyone's glass - including when the second bottle arrives. This never happens in France where wine is simply left on the table for people to help themselves as they wish, rather than encouraging them to drink more. I know most restaurants in Ireland follow this practice, but with stricter drink driving laws, maybe it's time to change, Warren?

Still, top marks and I'll be back there soon!

1 Thank mct1

• Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
“A great meal for a great price”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We visited Cistin Eile on March 24th,2012 for the early sitting (6.15pm) and it was our first time to eat there. As we have young children when we do get a chance to go out we generally opt for the early sitting and are usually the only ones in a restaurant. On Saturday evening every table was full and it made a nice change to have a bit of atmosphere that we usually miss out on.

The menu was 3 courses for €25 and there was a good range of meat and vegetarian options on offer. I had a goats cheese and beetroot starter, plaice for main course and a spiced apple crumble for dessert. Himself had a venison "rissole" to start, 10 hour slow-cooked topside beef for main and rice pudding for dessert. The food was really really good, well cooked, well presented and decent sized portions. The highlight was definitely the beef, I will definitely choose that myself next time.

As a self-confessed chocolate addict I would have liked to see at least one chocolate option for dessert but that would be a very small gripe in what was otherwise a well put together menu. With a glass of house white wine our bill was €55 and was definitely excellent value for money. We will definitely return, highly recommended.

1 Thank eaka2007
Dublin, Ireland
“Food very good, excellent value but the service not great.”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Visited this restaurant on Saturday 4th March with my partner and another couple. No table available which is normally a good sign of a busy and popular restaurant. The menu has a good range that should satisfy all tastes and really good value - 3 course meal for €25.
Food was really good and enjoyed by all. I had a very nice lambs liver that was cooked to perfection and tasted very good. Decent wine list at reasonable prices. The only issue on the night was the service and/or lack of staff. There appeared to be only two staff covering the whole restaurant and the delay between courses was too long. Staff were very friendly but too busy. The service issue may have been a one off and I will definitely visit again for the quality of the food and value for money.

2 Thank Mickmc55
Wexford, Ireland
“Fabulous Food”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Went for our first evening meal having had lunch here a couple of times.
The food is possibly the best I have had.
I had "Wexford Rissole" made from potato and wild venison. This was very tasty. My wife had the goats cheese salad, lovely also.
For the mains I had the slow cooked top roast. Served on champ. This was so full of flavour, cant recommend it enough.
My wife had the pan fried hake. Top dish also.
For dessert I had brambly apple crumble with custard and ice cream and my wife had the coffee and chocolate panna cotta.
House wine was Italian and €16.
Service was attentive and helpful. Great value at €70 for 2 including wine and coffee.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“meal in Wexford”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Excellent 3 course meal for 25 euros. Nice surroundings in an unimposing building. Interesting choices, although we thought the chocolate dessert not very chocolatey.

Visited March 2012