“Visit to the Medieval Museum of Waterford”

Waterford Treasures Medieval Museum
Bishop's Palace Museum: Admission Ticket
Ranked #2 of 59 things to do in Waterford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The magnificent curved facade of the warm butter-coloured stone building draws in the visitor. The eye-catching giant sculpture on the gable was inspired by a tiny 13th century belt mount found in Waterford. It is Ireland’s only purpose-built medieval museum and the only building on the island to incorporate two medieval chambers, the 13th century Choristers’ Hall and the 15th century Mayor’s Wine Vault. Don't miss the stunning Heavens' Embroidered Cloths, Waterford's cloth-of-gold 15th century vestments, the only piece of clothing from King Henry VIII's reign to survive in the world - the 'Cap of Maintenance' and the Great Charter Roll from 1373, containing the earliest contemporary portrait of a medieval English king (Edward III) shown to Queen Elizabeth on her 2011 state visit to Ireland. These and many more unique artefacts await you on your guided tour of the award wining Medieval Museum.
Reviewed 13 July 2015

I've had a delightful weekend in Waterford city and the Museum was one of the best experiences of all. However what really stood out by me was the archery lesson I got in the museum. The person 'Peter' who introduced me to archery was greatly animated which made it an altogether enjoyable experience for me. He managed to introduce me to some skills and I was able to shoot arrows successfully and this was all combined with his abundance of knowledge about the history of archery. His lesson was like a throw back into medieval times; no visit to the museum would be complete without an archery lesson!

3  Thank blackwater_10
Waterford T, Public Relations Manager at Waterford Treasures Medieval Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2015

Good afternoon blackwater_10

Thank you very much for your excellent review of your recent visit to the award winning Medieval Museum. It is heart warming to get such an honest review of what we have to offer here in the Medieval Museum and we are delighted that you enjoyed it so much.

The Medieval Archery is a new addition to the museum this summer and we are delighted that you enjoyed it so much, I will pass on your compliments to Peter.

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and we look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Waterford Treasures Medieval Museum

Reviewed 13 July 2015

An interesting and well laid-out museum that is clearly striving to be top-notch. The vestal garments were very pretty, but that was all there was to them. I enjoyed the displays on Waterford's history but it felt a little too narrowly focused. I understand there is great value in local heritage, but I would have liked a little more comprehensive view. It was an interesting, and potentially highly interactive history museum (provided you're willing to shell out the cash for extras!) that would be suitable for middle-grade and older kids and interested adults. All the extras do get a little pricy, however, and I just didn't feel it was worth it.

Good afternoon Sojourner6

Many thanks for your review of your recent visit to the award winning Medieval Museum, medieval history of Waterford, Irelands oldest city founded in 914.

I'm very surprised at your comments about, 'provided you're willing to shell out the cash for extras!', and 'We just did the regular tour because we didn't have time (or feel like spending the money) for the guided tour, but I imagine that would have been a better experience.' There is no extra cost for the guided tour of the award winning Medieval Museum, the minimal cost of entry at only €7 gives you the option of the guided tour, an audio guide or wander at your own leisure, there are no extra costs involved.

Any 'extras' that are involved are a Medieval Archer who gives an introduction to medieval archery and the opportunity to loose off three arrows under his expert tuition at a cost of €5 and this is available on the same floor as our gift shop.

Waterford city was a Royal Mint during medieval times and we have been asked by our visitors to include some form of minting to make the experience more authentic and we have only just added this, where visitors can mint one, two or three coins from the period of John, Lord of Ireland in 1177, King Edward I 1282 and King Edward IV 1463 using replica 'dies' to mint their very own coins which includes a coin holder explaining about the coins from that period for only €5.

The Medieval Museum has lots to offer, its the only museum in Europe built over two National Monuments, the 13th Century Choristers Hall and the 15th Century Mayor's Wine vault, there are two floors of fantastic artefacts which include the Great Parchment Book of Waterford from 1350, the Great Charter Roll which was commissioned in 1373, the stunning collection of High Mass Vestments, the 'Cloth of Gold Vestments from 1468, the only piece of clothing from King Henry VIII to survive, the 'Cap of Maintenance' from 1536, and a relic of the true Cross in a case from circa 110AD, a gift from Pope Paschal as well as the many other artefacts and there are the audio visual presentations on each of the different floors.

I don't think your headline comment, “Well-Designed But Lots of Hidden Extra Costs for Full Experience” is a true reflection of what we have to offer here.

Reviewed 13 July 2015

I got a tour of the museum from Derek. He was a blast! He is really funny and made the tour a pleasure. I learned a lot and laughed a lot. Signed the California Girl!!

1  Thank caligal365
Waterford T, Public Relations Manager at Waterford Treasures Medieval Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2015

Good morning caligal365

Another great review from you after your Bishop's Palace review. Derek certainly enjoys his work and ensures that he gets across his passion and delight in telling the story of Waterford, Ireland's oldest city.

We do hope you get an opportunity to come back to us again.

Reviewed 11 July 2015

Much information, very good, recommend a visit any day. Like the educating details, and how it's made easy for young'uns and older folk alike.

1  Thank James R
Waterford T, Public Relations Manager at Waterford Treasures Medieval Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2015

James, thank you very much for your recent visit to the award winning Medieval Museum and we do appreciate your review here on Tripadvisor. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your visit and appreciated how we ensure that we make sure the content is relevant to both young and old, we do hope you get an opportunity to visit us again in the near future!

Reviewed 11 July 2015

A lot of history. A must-see in Ireland. Very well organised. Makes you feel that Waterford has been the most important place of the whole world (lol)

1  Thank MarcelloNitz

Good afternoon MarcelloNitz

Many thanks for taking the time to visit Ireland's oldest city, Waterford and the marvellous award winning Medieval Museum! We really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent visit.

Naturally, we do believe that Waterford is the most importantly place in the whole world as well as being the oldest city in Ireland!