“Sandwich and Guinness, what a way to start a holiday”

Thomas Francis Meagher Bar at the Granville Hotel
Ranked #79 of 195 Restaurants in Waterford
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We arrived after a very tiring journey and only wanted a snack.
We ordered a pint of Guinness and open smoke salmon sandwich.
The salmon on wholemeal bread (which the hotel made themselves) with salad was plentiful and absolutely delicious. The Guinness was perfectly kept and poured.
The traditional wood panelled decor with open fires and comfortable seating has a wonderful cosy and relaxing atmosphere, definitely not a rowdy bar for hens parties etc.
The bar is well stocked with gin and whiskey; including some rare malts at 30 euros a single measure.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

My family had breakfast in the Bar at the Granville Hotel. Children had American style pancakes. They were light and fluffy, really delicious. Myself and my husband had the full Irish. It was high. Sausages, rashers, mushrooms, potatoes, tomatoes, black and white pudding, toast and tea/coffee all for €9.95. Great value and really delicious. Service (Theresa) was excellent.

We will definitely be back again.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

The Granville hotel is great but the food we had in the bar was very disappointing. My wife was unable to finish her meal as she discovered a large piece of clingfilm embedded in the mashed potato. To be fair, the service was very good and we were given free coffees and desserts; unfortunately, the desserts weren't great either. The bar has a cosy feel but I can't say I'd rush back here.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

We were staying in the Granville Hotel were this bar is located. Very nice decor and the atmosphere was great, you could have a conversation with your dinner companions. It was quiet, but the bar was over half full. Good service and the fish and chips were wonderful.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

Was looking forward to grabbing lunch here, as I was starving, having travelled a distance. Arrived at 12.15pm, enquired as to a menu, to be told by a gormless barman that 'The Carvery doesn't start till 12.30pm' No apology, no offer of the pastries/scones that were right beside both of us at the counter! Ordering a coffee while electing to wait, intrigued to see what the carvery might offer. I found a seat, as the bar area began to fill up with retirees and pensioners, by and large. Attempting to sit inside a lounge table proved difficult, the table had to be moved before one could sit. The table was awkward to manoeuvre, causing my coffee to spill into the saucer. I don't know what an older person would do. Maybe that explains why most of them took up seats in the middle of the room. Twelve Thirty came and I went in search of the carvery at the other side of the bar. There was already a queue forming, making it impossible to simply go look at the counter to see the food. The queue bottlenecks through an arch, room for one person to go through, either way, one at a time! Great design. I decided to let the line subside for a few minutes. Meanwhile as people did make their way back to their tables, I could see plates, piled high, meat slices on the bottom, vegetables nad mashed potatoes piled on top, slathered with gravy. Real farmer's food! Hearty and plentiful. Not at all what I expected. Anyway, not one of the plates looked particularly appetising. With that I decided to seek food elsewhere, despite my hunger. To be fair, the senior staff on the floor took good care of the clientele, ferrying plates to those unable to ferry for themselves. The food service obviously provides a service, and it would appear, a good one. Just not for me.