“Decided not to eat here...”

Thomas Francis Meagher Bar at the Granville Hotel
Ranked #79 of 195 Restaurants in Waterford
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Was looking forward to grabbing lunch here, as I was starving, having travelled a distance. Arrived at 12.15pm, enquired as to a menu, to be told by a gormless barman that 'The Carvery doesn't start till 12.30pm' No apology, no offer of the pastries/scones that were right beside both of us at the counter! Ordering a coffee while electing to wait, intrigued to see what the carvery might offer. I found a seat, as the bar area began to fill up with retirees and pensioners, by and large. Attempting to sit inside a lounge table proved difficult, the table had to be moved before one could sit. The table was awkward to manoeuvre, causing my coffee to spill into the saucer. I don't know what an older person would do. Maybe that explains why most of them took up seats in the middle of the room. Twelve Thirty came and I went in search of the carvery at the other side of the bar. There was already a queue forming, making it impossible to simply go look at the counter to see the food. The queue bottlenecks through an arch, room for one person to go through, either way, one at a time! Great design. I decided to let the line subside for a few minutes. Meanwhile as people did make their way back to their tables, I could see plates, piled high, meat slices on the bottom, vegetables nad mashed potatoes piled on top, slathered with gravy. Real farmer's food! Hearty and plentiful. Not at all what I expected. Anyway, not one of the plates looked particularly appetising. With that I decided to seek food elsewhere, despite my hunger. To be fair, the senior staff on the floor took good care of the clientele, ferrying plates to those unable to ferry for themselves. The food service obviously provides a service, and it would appear, a good one. Just not for me.

Reviewed 25 April 2017

Enjoyed visiting each evening before dinner for a pint. Being a Murphy drinker and a very good pint in my own local, they really need to improve the Guinness here, very poor, almost went on to beer, reduced my intake instead. One other point, they had a variety of offers on a standard bar food deal, etc. We decided to venture and have one, only to discover the price had changed the previous week, no apologies. Should at least blacken out ones that don't apply. Pity really. I enjoyed the charm this bar offered. On a brighter side the breakfast in the hotel was absolutely outstanding.

Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

We eat and drank here on Thursday night.
The food and drink were very good, my only complaint is that the cocktails are very expensive @ €12 each.
I was here about a year ago and they have gone up a lot since then.,

Reviewed 15 April 2017

We had lunch on too occasions here and I cannot compliment your staff enough. Each and every one of them were excellent and are a credit to your establishment. They are so friendly and were fantastic with my two children. Tara was especially lovely to us. She's a real gem. Nothing was too much trouble for her. Lunch was really lovely. We'll certainly be back when we're in lovely Waterford again.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

This is a must visit location. The food is excellent and the staff professional. Lots of history in a beautiful bar. One you should not miss.