“A pleasant surprise”

Clayton Hotel Sligo
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed 10 December 2017

We checked into the Clayton Hotel, having read some mixed reviews on the internet. The building is fascinating, having once been a mental institution a century ago. The building was incredibly interesting, and seemed surrounded by its history. It was somewhat offseason, but all facilities were open - pool, therapy rooms, etc. The staff was lovely and extremely helpful. We had booked a twin room - it was of a decent size, with all amenities - coffee/tea, refrigerator, safe, flat screen TV, wifi, etc. While the weather was bitterly cold outside, our room - and the hotel itself - was warm and comforting. We got an exceptionally good deal for a twin room, dinner for two and breakfast for two, as well. I’m glad that I did not listen to any of the negative reviews that I may have read, nor can I understand how a negative review could be written about this hotel. Frankly, if I was staying in Sligo again, I cannot think of any other place where I would like to stay.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane B
ClaytonSligo, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Sligo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Jane,

Thank you so much for such a kind review following your recent stay here with us in Sligo. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

The clayton is very welcoming & friendly especially when you arrive on a cold winters evening. Myself & my husband stayed for a night on a b& b/ dinner package booked through supervalu breaks. However the pricing strategy didnt add up!! I spoke to noel the guest relations manager who was most helpful regarding my query. I would go back again but perhaps on a b& b rate only. The bed was the most comfortable bed iv ever slept in & the decor in the bedrooms is top class. Breakfast buffet had plenty of choices.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
ClaytonSligo, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Sligo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2017

Dear Colette,

Thank you so much for such a kind review following your recent stay here with us in Sligo. I hope I was able to help with your query. It was a pleasure to meet you both. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

I stayed here for business in the summer. First impression when the cab pulled up was it looked like an old hospital, or municipal building. Finding my room only confirmed that. Very long corridors that had an institutional feel! Room was very average and a drab decor.

I grabbed some dinner from the restaurant which was pretty uninspiring and the staff were generally young and inexperienced. Had a bad experience on check-out as my room was pre-paid on account and they claimed to have no knowledge of this until I kicked up a fuss. Certainly wouldn't rush back if I'm in Sligo again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
ClaytonSligo, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Sligo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Dear Haydnw,

Thank you for taking the time to review the property following your recent stay here. We have never hid the fact that this beautiful old stone building was indeed a hospital and in fact we have a facts sheet available at reception with a brief history. We may have some young staff working in the restaurant but they have plenty of experience behind them at this point. I do apologize for the mix up at reception but I am glad it was rectified prior to your departure.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed one night recently before a work meeting. The room was a very good size. The room was very clean although the decor seemed a little dated. The bathroom was in need of a little upgrade but was very adequate. Bar food was good and the staff in the bar were friendly. Breakfast was also good with a wide variety to choose from.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Dear Ian,

Reviewed 25 November 2017

Visited the Clarion with two friends for lunch. We had the fish platter and the fish and chips. Overall the food was poor especially the prawns which were wet, soggy and tasteless. As I recommended the location, I was very embarrassed by the experience.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank James M
ClaytonSligo, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Sligo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Dear James,

I was on duty on the day in question, you ate in Bulbens bar in a small group. You fail to mention that we offered to replace the one meal which was deemed to be tasteless which your group declined. We would never fail to replace food which was found to be improper or lacking in taste.
You also fail to mention that the whole group refused to pay for the entire meal. which included soup for starters.
That being said, I do apologize for the experience and we would hope to see you return in future and not be judged on one prawn from a fish platter. We offer so much more than this and we would love the opportunity to change your mind in future.