“Mr.”

Chocolate Brown
Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Tullamore
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 9 October 2019

I had a very strange experience yesterday in Chocolate Brown. Quite often my partner and I(sometimes with our children) frequent the business.

We went in, as per normal - placed our orders and I went to use the toilet facilities. They we're all out of order, not knowing the 3rd door, I tried it and one of the members of staff became very abusive and started swearing at me asking me can I not fn read...

At this point, I walked back to the counter in shock, other customers were looking at me and it was very embarrassing.

The members of staff returned to the counter and I asked could I please use the staff toilet. I was bluntly told No. For the first time ever, we paid and walked out into the rain to find a toilet. I have never been so insulted by a person in a retail unit. The other members of staff quietly apologize for her behavior. Very disappointed

Date of visit: October 2019
1  Thank derekomeara
ATDuffy, Owner at Chocolate Brown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2019

Dear Sir

Firstly I am very very sorry about your experience at Chocolate Brown in Portlaoise.
We have experienced ongoing issues with Irish Water and our waste connections. For this reason, our toilets were blocked and out of use. We put up signs and turned off the lights. I understand that you are a regular customer and instinct brought you to the toilets, unaware that they were out of order. You tried all the doors and you got quite a fright when you found one of our staff in the staff loo, with the door unlocked.
I have spoken with Alina and she completely admits that she over reacted with you. She did get a big fright to suddenly see you, but she now accepts that, that was not your fault and she is, in fact, very sorry.
I would love if we could win back your custom to Chocolate Brown and I do hope you might consider giving us a second chance.
Warm Regards

Alan Duffy
Founder and Managing Director.

Write a reviewReviews (101)

Reviewed 7 August 2019

I really love 'Chocolate Brown'..Alan runs a great place and the coffeee is great. Always feels like your own house when you walk in...customers and staff all know each other..it's brilliant!! Its quite small so it feels intimate.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed 1 July 2019

I love the coffee here and even though it is always busy and there is a wait it is generally fine. However recently there seems to be a shift in service as the waits are much longer and you don’t always get what you want. Saturday I ordered a plain bagel with cream cheese to go, I was under pressure for time so maybe that’s why it annoyed me it was so slow, also there ways only 2 tables occupied but the rest of the tables had dirty dishes on them. I finally saw a girl leave a toasted bagel to girl up front but it was a Sesame seed bagel. When I asked if that was mine I reminded the young lady I had ordered a plain bagel only to be told Sure it’s only Sesame seeds. As I was in a hurry I took it and ran thinking I could eat the bottom half. Actually I couldn’t as it had seeds as well and my coworker that I gave it to said it was as tough as an old boot and binned it after 2 bites. Possibly toasted from frozen, though I am only guessing at that.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed 27 April 2019

Great little coffee shop. Although they had a light lunch offer which was disappointing value wise. Ad didn't state wrap was mini size, so in fact its better value to go for the full size wrap rather than the cup of soup and mini wrap. Would wish to be advised wrap is mini size. Good central location with outside smoking area.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed 4 January 2019 via mobile

Love the coffee here and have been a regular customer the last few years but the recent opportunistic increase in prices has lost them a customer. I totally understand the recent VAT increase necessitated a price increase but you cannot justify a regular mocha increasing from 3.40 to 3.70! An increase of 10 or 15 cent would have been fair and decent. Will not be returning, what a shame.

Date of visit: January 2019