Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Review Highlights
Stellar Tour of Ireland's Boyne Valley

My family of three had a great day touring the Boyne Valley with Michael Fox. Normally, I would be... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
SomeGuyNamedBrian
So near and yet so far...

We had booked with Boyne Valley Tours last year for an upcoming tour in June of 2020 and... read more

Reviewed 22 April 2020

from US$46.79
from US$59.99
from US$676.32
More Info
All reviews michael fox private tour mellifont abbey trim castle dublin airport historic sites my niece wonderful guide interests knowledge hill ireland
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 November 2015

We engaged Michael to take us to The Festival of Fire this Halloween. We came from USA for this special event and Michael did the reconnaissance of a guide, dedicated to his client's experience. Since this was a first for him he researched the event, kept us up to date via email, and he even went to the location the day before to scope out the Festival details. He also added a couple of stops on our way from Dublin that were ancient and awesome. He is the man to provide more than just a tour; he cares! We will look forward to seeing Michael again and highly recommend his services⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

1  Thank Kathleen P
Reviewed 30 October 2015

We booked Boyne Valley Tours for two days in September when our cruise ship stopped in Dublin. We had only booked one private tour in the past as we thought they generally seemed too expensive. Michael and his tour made us rethink this attitude. We thought we received full value for our money and then some and we got to do it in comfort without a bus load of tourists. We were very anxious to see as many neolithic sites as possible in our two days. Michael Fox put together a great itinerary for us and promptly picked us up at the ship on Day 1 and got us in the first group at Newgrange before the buses arrived. We are very grateful to Michael to have selected the sites he did based on what we told him via email that we wanted to see. He did an outstanding job of selecting the sites, creating the itinerary that would best suit the timeframe, relating local and historical information about each site and being a friendly companion. If we have tried to do the same itinerary on our own, we could not have done it in the amount of time we had and we would have missed many items of interest and knowledge of the sites that Michael was able to provide. We were just awed at the number of sites and the great condition that some of these sites were maintained. Michael was very personable and knowledgeable about all of the neolithic sites. Living in the area, he knows all the back roads and getting from site to site quickly all the while telling you stories about the local area. We stopped at his home to have tea and met his lovely wife. It was an outstanding two days of visiting neolithic sites and the highlight of our 30 day cruise around the United Kingdom. You will not be disappointed in your tour with Michael Fox.

Date of experience: September 2015
2  Thank Claudia L
Reviewed 30 October 2015

We enjoyed a very informative and active day in the Boyne Valley and got to visit on the sites on our list. Michael took us up the Hill of Tara the the "banquet hall" so when we turned around to see where we'd come from, there was the entire valley and many counties as far as the eye could see. It left quite an impression. This is a good tour if you are interested in the history and culture of the area. We loved it.

3  Thank Marcia S
Reviewed 25 October 2015

As new travelers, we know we need as much guidance as we can get! Using the Boyne Valley Day Tours was one of our happiest choices! We were met promptly at the baggage claim by a smiling face and a name card to greet us after an overnight flight. while we were not perky, Michael gave us time to wake up as he tucked us in a lovely four door Audi automobile and drove us out of the city. As we became more animated, we did discuss an overview of the day and started our journey. He was patient and generous in the information. I have a tendency to ask very personal questions and look for cats to pet and he worked with my nature. Each stop was explained and enjoyed fully. In Ireland, the history is so vast, one site could be 5000 BC to 1200AD to 200 years ago. Michael was very good at helping separate the time periods all happening at the same site. I felt a common calling at the Hill of Tara and Michael allowed for my individual experience to occur. We felt care for and treated like cousins coming back from the new land. He even arranged for me to pet miniature donkeys which really are like big cats! both of us, in our own ways were treated kindly and great respect. Michael made our entrance to Ireland easy!

1  Thank Lauraul1
Reviewed 21 October 2015

I have read so many of the reviews of tours with Boyne Valley Day Tours - Michael Fox and was so excited about our day. I am a great history buff and as far as I am concerned no amount of information is too much information. That said, Michael has some knowledge of the area, but his knowledge is not that of a historian, but rather someone who has made it a hobby. His knowledge is not as in depth as I would have liked. When I asked some questions, he handed me a brochure (that turned out was a brochure marked free of charge).... for $360 for the day I was astounded...

I must say that if it had not been for Michael and his knowledge of the geographical area we probably would not have seen all that we did see - Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Bective Abbey, Trim Castle, Monasterboice, Drogheda...we certainly saw a lot, but when we got back home I had to read up on what I had seen... to name a few things... about Hugh de Lacy who had built Trim Castle, the significance of the Anglo-Normans, high towers and their construction...etc etc....

Michael is a fine fellow and did pick us up promptly and took us to all the promised places...he got us to Newgrange (a must see) at opening time...there is much good to say, but I must say that his knowledge is not the depth of knowledge that I might have liked.... for those who simply want an overview - a day spent with him might just be the thing.... it was wasn't for me and at $360 it should have been.

Date of experience: September 2015
Fourknocks, Owner at Boyne Valley Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2015

First and foremost I am a Tour Guide and Driver, I also have a keen interest in history, I am a former Council Member and Treasurer of the Meath Archaeological and Historical Society. I am personally very disappointed that my knowledge did not measure up to the expectations of the reviewer; however that is not the majority view. Some examples from other reviews include “Loved the history of Kings, and battles won and lost”, “He knows his history”, “I would highly recommend Michael for a concise tour of this region, history lesson included”, “Our experience with Michael Fox brought us deep into the history of Ireland. His knowledge and expertise captured our attention from the moment he picked us up”, “He was so knowledgeable about the area and all of its history”, “His expert knowledge of the territory and its history”, “His knowledge of the culture and history of the Boyne Valley is vast”, “His passion for the history of the Boyne Valley”, “He is really knowledgeable about Irish history”, “Michael's knowledge of Ireland's vast history made our day”, “He made the history of the area come alive for me”, “He understands the connection between the history and landscape of the area, and it definitely shows”, “He was very knowledgeable of the History”, “He was able to answer every question I could come up with regarding the history of this intriguing place”

I think the remark “When I asked some questions, he handed me a brochure” is unfair, I did give the reviewer a copy of the 60 page Boyne Valley Guide which includes an Archaeological & Historical Timeline and a description of all the sites we visited. It was given as a source of additional information and a keepsake. A PDF version of the guide can be downloaded at boynevalleytours.com/boyne-valley-guide.htm