“Battle of the Boyne well explained ”

Oldbridge Estate/Battle of the Boyne Visitors Centre
Ranked #10 of 84 things to do in County Meath
Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

Battle of the Boyne was brought to life and explained. Displays are very well done. Be sure to watch the videos and see the display that shows you how the battle was fought. Staff is there to answer any in depth questions.

Reviewed 26 October 2016 via mobile

First of all, if you're coming southbound come off the motorway at Drogheda North to avoid the toll charge (unlike us). Once there, you'll love it. Very well organised and hugely informative, giving a carefully balanced account of both the importance of the battle for the sheer survival for British Protestants but very importantly, also placed the events within a wider European context. The bravery of both sets of combatants was clearly portrayed.
Great artefacts and battle descriptions contributed to a very enjoyable day indeed for the whole family. A special mention for Michelle in the cafe who was very welcoming and demonstrated great pride in the delicious fayre on offer.
Entrance for five was €10 for a terrific day out.
Hugely recommended.

Reviewed 24 October 2016

If history had been taught this way in school I may have been more interested. The way the history of this battle was put together kept my interest. Take the time to visit the gift shop. We've enjoyed the local brown bread and here we found a mix to make it at home. We thought that a good find.

The grounds are worth walking; the gardens are well kept. I also like that the cost to visit these places is very reasonable, especially more so if you are a senior.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

Since I was a child, my Dad talked to us kids about The Battle of the Boyne. I wish I fully grasped the importance of this event while he was alive. Stepping onto the battlefield, walking thru the Oldbridge estate and talking to the gentleman who knows EVERYTHING about the Battle was like walking with my Dada again. We found Reverend Walker's portrait and heard stories about him and the battle again. What a great moment in history when the Protestants and the Catholics came together for a common cause. We could sure use this "coming together" today, right?

1  Thank Janet W
Reviewed 16 October 2016

This is the sort of battle site which has been thoughtfully laid out. It was a perfect visit for us. The battle site itself was superbly laid out; the walled garden excellent and the refreshment room of a high standard. Well worth a visit.