“electric bike option”

The Westport Bike Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: We are located just a few hundred meters from the Greenway in Westport town center among the best hotels in the area. We provide an excellent bike hire service for the Great Western Greenway, Wild Atlantic Way and the surrounding area which has some of the best and most scenic cycling routes in Ireland. We offer FREE car parking and a shuttlebus facility for pick-ups and drop-offs to our hire customers. Helmets and other safety equipment are included in our bike hire together with a breakdown/replacement service. Also we have a large enclosed tarmaced car park for you to try out your hire bikes for fitting before venturing out on your travels. Besides bike hire we are also a fully equipped cycling repair and service shop, together with bike sales and spinning & training facilities. So basically the most fully kitted out cycling shop in the area. A friendly efficient and professional service is what you receive from the Westport Bike Shop and that can be seen in our Tripadvisor reviews.
Reviewed 26 September 2015

dropped off in achill sound and cycled in the torrential rain to wesport it was a fantastic experience wish bike knew its way back to base got lost on arrival back to wesport , staff fantastic highly recommend the experience

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank pedroLow
WestportBikeShop, Public Relations Manager at The Westport Bike Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2015

Hi PedrowLow

Thank you for your kind review.

We didnt have the best of summers but we find it amazing how many people refuse to let a bad days weather ruin their enjoyment cycling the Great Western Greenway and it's great to hear you had a fantastic time.

All reviews
"euro"
"cyclists"
"mayo"

Reviewed 24 September 2015

I cycled the Greenway from Westport to Achill on August Bank Holiday weekend. Great experience. While the guys at The Westport Bike Shop were friendly and helpful, I was not happy with my bike for two reasons: First, while I communicated my height (about 6 foot, or 182 cm) in advance, I got a bike with a small frame, which was uncomfortable on my back. Also, the front chain rings were not switching properly, which caused me trouble whenever I had to climb a hill (in fact, straight away). The bike could have been more suitable, and better serviced.

1  Thank Bart_Simpson5
WestportBikeShop, Public Relations Manager at The Westport Bike Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2015

Hi Bart_Simpson5

We apologize for the wrong type of bike being given to you. We can only assume there was some breakdown in communications or mix up when you came to collect your hire bike.

When trying out your hire equipment before leaving our premises, we wish you had informed our staff of your concerns.

All our hire customers are given instructions and details that in the event of some kind of breakdown we will come out to your location on your route and repair, or as is usually the case, we just replace your hire bike. You say you had problems 'straight away'. If this is the case why did you not just turn around and relay the problems to our staff? That is what we are there for. Your bike could have been instantly replaced, instead it seems you had a less than perfect day which is a shame.

It is disappointing to us at the Westport Bike Shop that someone did not enjoy or have a problem free experience, and in this case it could have easily been rectified. We do hope you will return and use our services again and if you do please let us know who you are so we can discuss this issue this way we can get everything 100% correct for you and there is no misunderstanding.

If you are happy then we are happy.

Thank you for reviewing our services.

Reviewed 31 August 2015

My husband and I rented 2 bikes and cycled the Greenway to Achill.The bikes were set up to suit us by Simon who was great fun and very witty.Great service all round.
We'll be back.

1  Thank belinda m
WestportBikeShop, Public Relations Manager at The Westport Bike Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2015

Hi Belinda M

Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to seeing you both soon.

Reviewed 23 August 2015

We were very happy with this service, until I sat on my sisters bike the last day of our cycle that is. We rented bikes in Westport and cycled the greenway and around Achill for a few days. We were then able to get a shuttle back to Westport with them which was great! Really good, efficient service from this company.

However I ended up on my sisters bike for the last cycle and was shocked by its condition. The brakes were swapped around, a dangerous annoyance, and the gears were all over the place. Changing them was like Russian roulette, tightening a gear could have the opposite effect or not, you just had to go with it. Loosening the gears was no better. The bike also lacked a bell and the left brake handle was weirdly askew on the bike so that it was hard to grip and pull.

My sister doesn't cycle so all these problems she put down to her own inexperience. So we got a dodgy bike, fine, not a major deal, but when I tried to explain that there was something wrong with the bike I was compleatly dismissed by the man I was dealing with. It was ridiculous!!! Started off with the brakes and he quickly tried to shut me down with "Oh you broke our bike did you, well I guess we won't charge you for it. Hahahah". Well hahahaha if one of us ended up in a ditch because your breaks were improperly fitted we'd be the ones charging you. I did the old fake smile and just keep talking strategy and I feel that he may have taken me a little more seriously when I mentioned the gear problem but not before trying his stupid line again. I'm guessing he pulls it out a lot. So ya watch out for defective bikes and be prepared to be shut down and dismissed when you bring it up.

Date of experience: August 2015
WestportBikeShop, Public Relations Manager at The Westport Bike Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2015

Dear Maura H

We provide, what we think is an outstanding bike hire service to our customers, and really appreciate any constructive criticism of our business so we can correct and improve where need be. Our excellent service is portrayed in the reviews we have received here on TripAdvisor and elsewhere like Facebook for example.

It really shocks us to read a review such as yours, where you state that we may have supplied a 'dodgy bike' and imply that it could have been dangerous and also that the brakes were improperly fitted which could have resulted in an accident. We are taking these claims very seriously.

We provide a top class bike hire service where safety is of the upmost. We make sure every cyclist is completely happy with the bike and equipment they have before leaving our premises and also they are accustomed to their hire bike, as we are the only hire service who has a large car park for customers to try out their hire cycles and have any adjustments made before they leave our premises. Safety first at all times!

Also our customers are given full instructions and directions and our bikes have full contact details in the event of any mishap or mechanical malfunction, where we can come out immediately and repair or replace the equipment wherever you may be along your cycling route, which usually happens with no more than the odd puncture. It therefore comes to our amazement regards your complaint that not only did you not contact us during your 3 day hire period, but you instead as we think you say attempted your own repairs and adjustments to the hire bike in question which requires tools and a degree of mechanical skill and knowledge for that procedure. We know because we provide a highly praised service and repair facility to cyclists near and far for leisure and serious competition riders.

On your return from your cycling trip on being told of defective brakes and gears which we think you now say you interfered with, our member of staff was just trying to make best of a complaint of a problem which wasn't apparent. Perhaps he may have been guilty of only that but certainly not of supplying dodgy or defective bikes. He doesn't recall any mention of the bell but on checking today we did find that a bell is missing from a bike which is a mystery as all bikes come with a bell as standard and if a bell was missing from your bike then we apologize for this.

All of our equipment is checked and repaired/replaced as often as humanly possible and our hire bikes are regularly maintained even replaced with new at the end of each season. We never supply bikes with defective brakes and if you preferred your brake handles swapped then we received no notification from your party, nor did we receive any breakdown request which would have been immediately dealt with.

We cannot rectify anything when the journey is over and the situation past.

If you would like to talk to us about your issue please get in touch anytime.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 August 2015

We rented 3 bikes to cycle the Greenway for the afternoon. The owner could not have been more helpful in setting up the bikes and advising us where to go. We did a 50km round trip (stopping at a bar about 25km from Westport for refreshments). All was fine until about 5 km from home on the way back when a car turned in front of my wife in order to access their drive (not blaming them at all) and she braked a bit hard and came off her bike on gravel. It was quite nasty with gravel in her arm, hand and leg - some of the wounds were open. We got back to the bike shop about a minute before closing time and the owner got out a hose to clear out the gravel then antiseptic and bandages to get us back to Galway (out friend is a medic so were in good hands after we left anyway). The owner stayed on until we were all happy that the wounds were as clean as they could be and had largely stopped bleeding and all the while he was sympathetic, attentive and engaged with our humour as we tried to see the funny side of the event. A lovely bike ride, which we intend to complete next time, and without hesitation we will rent from The Westport Bike Shop as they are just so good in every way!

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank peterindevon

Thank you for your kind review.