“Wonderful scenery from Newport to Achill.”

The Great Western Greenway
Ranked #1 of 49 things to do in Westport
Reviewed 15 February 2017

The early part of the cycle from Westport to Newport had a lot of roads to cross over - just to be aware of this in case you are cycling with young children.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed 14 February 2017

Weather was lovely yesterday and enjoyed a walk along some of the greenway and then drove on th Achill and saw how fabulous the greenway is for cyclists and walkers alike with some lovely views.

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

I was a bit anxious about heading off on "the bike" as it was several years since I sat on one. The cycle from Newport to Mullany and back was not as strenuous as I anticipated. The main thing is not to rush and hop on and off the bike at regular intervals to take in the stunning sea and mountain landscape.
I would recommend the greenway for all age groups.

Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

Great walk. 12.56km there in 2hours. Had soup and sandwich in Newport and walked back. Just over 25km in total and took exactly 4hrs.

The walk is largely alongside the main road but at one stage it veers off and goes through and wonderfully scenic area.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 23 January 2017

My wife booked cycle hire for the Saturday of our weekend trip to Westport. I am 51 and had only ever once been on a bike before. I was therefore a little nervous about the thought of a 32 K cycle from Achill to Newport. We were lucky to have a sunny, bright, January morning with unfortunately a light head wind. Apparently this is unusual as the wind is usually at your back. The scenery was stunning, the pathway well marked with only a few climbs and at that time of year, fairly quiet. In summer time I believe that there are a few places to stop off for refreshments, these however were mostly closed when we were there. The route we took was almost entirely off road with only having a short section in Newport to brave the road.
Despite my initial apprehension, I had a great day out. Okay, there were a few wobbles and a couple of tired legs but the beauty of the scenery more than made up for that. A great route for cyclists or walkers alike.