“Everything they say is true. Respect the mountain and come prepared. Views are amazing!”
Review of Croagh Patrick

and up
Patrick's Causeway Bike Tour from Westport
Ranked #12 of 168 things to do in County Mayo
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the oldest religious sites in Ireland, this mountain is home to an 11th century monastery.
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

Be prepared. It is a tough hike, but if you prepare and take the comments on this thread seriously, you shouldn’t have any trouble. A walking stick is mandatory. You can probably do without it, but it would harder than it should be coming down. Bring food and water. The hike saps it out of you. We went in good weather so the view was amazing. Layers of clothes are also important. I was overdressed and stripped down to a slicker and a T shirt.

1  Thank Teemed
in 10 reviews
"second half"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Climbed on 2013 on my second visit to Ireland. Weather wasn’t the best but it was a bucket list thing for me. I was prepared but other climbers weren’t. On way up a American was coming down with no jacket, wrong shoes and a bleeding hand that required stitches. He told me he didn’t think it was going to be so hard and he slipped and fell. As I neared the top, a girl from a school excursion had slipped on the rolling rocks coming down and had a possible leg #. I helped splint her leg and they awaited mountain rescue. If you haven’t done this type of thing before, pick a clear day. The views are amazing then. Wear sturdy supportive shoes, waterproof jacket, water and be reasonably fit.Remember that each year people have died climbing the mountain.the last part near the top is hardest due to the large stones on the path

2  Thank Tracey D
Reviewed 26 August 2018

Hi guys this place is great I am really big fan of Mayo in General. Croagh Patrick is amazing great views etc etc. Please please prepare before you go up there though its not some tiny walk it does take it out of you, I recommend taking some water and food and don't go up there in crazy weather conditions. There is a nice little shop by it expensive but cool. The restaurant right by it is 10/10.

1  Thank Chmalzating
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Climbed Croagh Patrick on Saturday 18th August, it was tough and requires a good level of fitness. First third of the walk was a steady climb, mid section enabled me to get my breath back and prepare for the last third which was tough, but when I got that far I knew I would get to the top ...eventually! Cloud came down so we had no views which was unfortunate but on saying that everyone walking was friendly and I enjoyed the challenge. Was tough coming down need to be very careful.

1  Thank lindamccrea