“Efficient, pleasant with extremely good food”

Matt The Millers Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 233 Restaurants in Kilkenny
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Matt The Millers Bar & Restaurant is a perfect location for your meal, private parties and festive occasions. We offer an extensive drinks menu and the same high service standards that we strive to deliver in every area of our operation. Enjoy lunch, a romantic occasion, dinner or your own private event. We cater for every taste. You will also find some wonderful private snugs throughout our bar. These snugs are perfect for small get-togethers where you can enjoy all that Matt's has to offer in the secluded confines of these salubrious havens of comfort & quiet. We have been partying at Matt's for 20 years now so we have learned a thing or two about throwing the very best parties to suit every occasion. We have Traditional Irish Music every evening along with more music on select nights of the week. For private parties, we can put any one of our five bars at your disposal and we are happy to do as much, or as little as you need us to do to make your party a huge success. There will always be a warm welcome and a hearty smile waiting for you at Matt's. Our bars are ergonomically designed to ensure only the highest possible standards of service whether you're having a morning coffee, an afternoon tea, an early evening beverage or a pint with friends at one of Matt's famous party nights. Every effort is made to ensure that our extensive menus of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are constantly updated to make sure that every taste is catered for. Our extensive food menu is also available at the bars, with breakfast, lunch and dinner served. So, whatever you're looking for and whenever you want it - you can rest assured that it's waiting for you at Matt the Millers' Main Bar.
Reviewed 6 September 2016

We enjoyed an evening at Matt The Millers on Sunday evening after our Kilkenny Hurling teams home coming. We arrived at Matt the Millers, we decided the menu had something for all our group. We were met at the front door with a smile and a friendly greeting and lead to our table. We had a young child also and everything was done to make us feel welcome and that juniors needs were catered for. We ordered our food and drinks all were delivered promptly. The food was delicious and hot and was most enjoyable. We were checked a number of times by the manager to see were we enjoying our meal and if we needed anything. Go to Matt The Millers, enjoy the experience including the glorious live music as you dine! We will be back!

3  Thank 277mollyb
Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed 5 September 2016

Let's get the good stuff out of the way first. On a hot day, a pint of ice cold Heineken is a most welcome treat and it arrived promptly. The less said about the pint of Guinness delivered to our table the better - suffice it to say that our national beverage was not well represented in this establishment. But onwards - it's a rare pub that doesn't serve a dodgy pint now and then.

The service was exactly what you'd expect in a busy tourist oriented pub. Brisk with enough of a veneer of friendliness to make me at least feel like I hadn't made a mistake coming in.

But I had. The lovely Mrs Saveursavant having had a light lunch here a few weeks ago suggested that we eat in Matt's - I shall be contacting my attorneys and filing suit for divorce forthwith.

The best thing that could be said about her fish was that it tasted sort of like a fish. It was well enough presented but no amount of artifice can make up for what was in effect a very large fish finger.

And so, my steak. I don't know how it was cooked (there were no sear marks of it having been grilled) but whoever was responsible managed to sear in all the complete lack of taste and failed utterly to soften the texture of what I can only describe as a nicely presented boot sole. A tough, tasteless, twenty euro boot sole.

I sent it back and in fairness to the manager, he was all apologies - god love the man, he was trying to work on a hot day in a room which was built before air conditioning and whose owners obviously see no point in spending money on such hifalutin gimcrackery.

So I ordered a Caesar salad. Can't screw up a Caesar salad, right? Wrong. Soggy leaves were rendered positively sodden by a watery and (surprise, surprise) tasteless dressing.

At that point, I'd had enough and left.

I paid the bill - naturally, the steak was taken off, but I handed over thirty four euro for a gorgeous pint of Heineken, a lacklustre pint of Guiness, an over sized fish finger and a salad that seemed to want to be soup.

As I left, the manager collared me and asked me if I would accept a voucher. He's a lovely guy and was obviously very embarrassed by his restaurant's performance. I declined the voucher - life is simply too short to eat in such places more than once.

I think the problem with such places is that being tourist oriented, and in the case of Matt the Miller's for tourist, read hen party, they don't feel the need to develop repeat business. I'm still hungry but they have my thirty five euro - that's a win for Matt, right?

I suppose that's why they call them tourist traps.

The thing is, I live in Kilkenny. I should know better.

I do now.

2  Thank Saveursavant
Reviewed 4 September 2016

We had an enjoyable meal and a fun time at Matt the Millers. The Clonakilty Chicken dish was really good according to my son. Our dinners were also fine. Service was friendly and efficient. Convenient location in center of Kilkenny. We dined upstairs where we could still hear the music, without it being too loud.

1  Thank susana820
Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

20 of us went in on friday and the band were amazing!!! Saturday we left the bar 'the left bank' to go back to matt the millers because it was more fun! Everyone needs 2 go here

3  Thank sarah k
Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

Had dinner and drinks while listening to trad music. 3 course meal option great value, nice range if choices. Regular menu wide selection of pub food. Something for all, lots of nooks and crannies. Ta ge of music from 6:30 to late night.

2  Thank AmScotGirl