“Home from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 77 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
cork
“Home from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2010

Chaplins was recommended by a friend its was everything she had said and more! We felt so welcome the minute we stepped in, so accomadating, relaxed and friendly! Rooms where very nice and breakfast was fab. Location is perfect just a little outside the city near shops for those small things we all forget! Was brill to be able to come and go as we pleased Would definatly stay there again!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality

Business
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2008

Stayed for one night as a single person. Room was comfortable and clean but small, and bathroom could have been cleaner. House is a veritable warren of steps, stairs, doors and corners although some rooms are on ground floor so anyone with mobility issues should check this out before staying.
What was striking was the complete lack of interpersonal skills in any of the four people I dealt with during my stay. Not one person showed any interest in me, whether I was happy with things, nor did they volunteer any form of assistance. Hello, Goodbye, Thanks or other such pleasantries were simply not in the vocabulary. I find it quite disappointing that this is the sort of hospitality that we as a country are offering. The multitude of signs warning me against eating in my room, wearing pyjamas or slippers in the dining room, breaking anything, when I must check out by, etc didn't add much warmth. This stretch of road is full of B+B's, chances are that most of these would be more hospitable.

• Liked — Off street parking
  • Disliked — Poor atmosphere, lack of courtesy and friendliness
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank TheThickPlottens
Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2008

If you're looking for a bare-bones B&B (a place to sleep and a place to eat breakfast), Chaplin's is serviceable. It's located a mile or so outside of city center, and the walk is tolerable but uninspiring, and a bit sketchy after 10 p.m. I was traveling alone through Ireland, and as a single woman I was made to feel comfortable under their roof. However, the of the three single beds in my room, the one I chose to sleep in was so uncomfortable I had to switch to another at 3 a.m. in order to get any sleep. Then, at breakfast, I found that a bite had been taken out of one of the slices of brown bread served in the bread basket. Two days after checking out, I received an email from the hostess that accused me of sneaking in an extra guest and *not hiding the evidence* (referring to the two unmade beds) and threatening to "file a complaint" about me to the travel agency. Overall, there are enough lodging options in the area that I'd recommend looking elsewhere first, and opting for Chaplin's after other choices have been exhausted. Sure, you'll have a roof over your head, but mild unpleasantries are likely.

• Liked — The location, the minimal single supplement, the cat
  • Disliked — See my review
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank LedaHorticulture
TN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2007

This was my first B&B experience and it wasn't what I thought it should be. We get there about an hour late because I planned the trip in the states without knowing how long it would take to get from one place to another. When arrived we had to stand outside in the rain for about another 30 minutes because she wasn't there. When we get in there are signs everywhere telling us what we couldn't do. They ranged from telling us not to enter a room to how to use the blides. I didn't find it welcoming at all. Although, I did enjoy the fact that she had a cat, but beware if you have allergies.

• Stayed July 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank carafantastic2
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2006

Stayed there for a weekend and the host was very welcoming, the food was beautiful, we did not have any restrictions about coming and going. Also we were always given good advice about where to go with regards to restaurants, pubs sights to be seen etc. Would definitely recommend this fine establishments to friends and family alike. Very reasonably priced too.

Definitely look this place up if going to stay in Kilkenny!!

• Liked — Friendliness of the host family in the B&B
  • Disliked — The rain outside for half a day!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring an umbrella!!
  • Stayed October 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Johnny_Unitis