Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
TripadvisorUS$96
Hotels.com
Expedia.comUS$97
PricelineUS$96
TravelocityUS$97
Vio.comUS$96
All reviews oldest hotel an older hotel night porter enjoyed my stay beds were comfortable location is excellent great weekend food was lovely city centre visit kilkenny top class clubhouse barman castle pubs
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 November 2022 via mobile

Lovely old-fashioned hotel centrally located in Kilkenny. Delicious breakfast and was nice to have a sit down menu as opposed to a buffet, for a change. Parking needs to be better advertised as it is at the rear and very difficult to find (please consider sending the customer the eircode when they book to avoid unnecessary stress). Both reception and breakfast staff very helpful although there was a middle-aged woman cleaning who seemed a little contrary and rather fed up when her assistance was called upon.

Date of stay: November 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2022

I'm baffled at the glowing reviews of this hotel. We found the front hotel entrance without too much trouble. It's in a good location. But we had a car, and there was a small sign on the front door saying to park around the back. We had to read the sign on the fly, because there is absolutely nowhere to park in the front. Trying to find a route to the back parking lot of the hotel was incredibly stressful, because, you know, Ireland. It took us a half hour to circle around to the back and we definitely got lost. A heads-up from the hotel or even a warning on their website would have been nice so I could have programmed the GPS for the parking lot.

The room was super run down and shabby. It has not been updated at all, I'm guessing in the last 20 years. The bathroom smelled like urine (may have been mildew), the mattress visibly sagged in the center and was uncomfortable and old, the furniture looked like it came from a yard sale, the grout in the bathroom is dirty and disintegrating. Depressing and awful. My college dorm room 30 years ago was nicer. This is a $100 a night hotel room, at best, and we paid double that. Toiletries included three shower caps and soap. No shampoo or conditioner. No coffee maker - just instant coffee and an old teakettle. We had to check out early (6:30 am). I was assured there would be someone at the desk, but there wasn't. We waited around for a while and then finally had to just leave our key so we could get to the airport.

I'm giving it two stars because it was as clean as the housekeeping staff could get it, it is in a decent location, and the woman who checked us in was friendly.

Room tip: Ask if/when your room was updated.
Date of stay: September 2022
2  Thank Cped
Reviewed 3 October 2022

My stay got off to a rocky start. I parked in the hotel carpark which is to the rear of the hotel. I walked through the hotel not really sure where the reception was carrying my bag and suit. I ended up opening the front door of the hotel when I was accosted by the middle aged angry receptionist who charged down a flight of stairs to ask me if I was a resident. This interrogation took place on the front steps outside of the hotel, (I can only presume that they have a problem with non-guests parking at the back of the hotel and walking through the hotel to the main street outside) Having established that I was a lost resident, I received no apology, no explanation or indeed a smile. However the remainder of my stay was fine.

Date of stay: October 2022
1  Thank U1274IOstephenm
Reviewed 8 September 2022 via mobile

Friendlies staff on our trip. Not a hotel to stay in if you have older people with you as it does not have any lifts and can be a good walk to your room and lots of stairs other than that can not praise hotel enough. Free park from check in to check out 5 star. The manager came out and carried my 87 Yr old bags to room. It maybe 1 of Kilkenny oldest hotel but got so much History. Stayed in 4 hotels during out trip but this was only hotel we got the freshly cooked breakfast rather than Buffet. Look forward to visiting again

Date of stay: September 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2022 via mobile

I was generous giving this hotel a “3”. It is certainly old and historic however, dirty is not quaint! The hallway carpets are threadbare, the furniture is mid-century and in poor shape. No screens on the windows and flies buzzing in and out.
The staff is friendly, the beds comfortable, linens clean. That earned the “3” rating.
It is a bargain hotel. “You get what you pay for”. I have no idea why anyone would rate it higher.
Move on to the next option, in my opinion.

Date of stay: August 2022