All reviews an older hotel night porter medieval city poached eggs beds were comfortable location is excellent food was lovely great weekend one night stay centre of town visit kilkenny hen party bar food clubhouse geraldine barman castle
Reviewed 18 October 2011

2 friends and I stayed there last weekend. Very very close to the city centre, free car park, breakfast was excellent and the staff really friendly.
Our (triple) room (#3) was spacious and clean : all that was needed to complete a nice weekend with friends in Kilkenny.
It is an old hotel with a lot of character. Don't expect a brand new building like the Hilton ; however it's more than enough as a base.
The only disadvantage I can think of for some people would be the stairs.

2  Thank Wallry
Reviewed 12 October 2011

My wife and I and two friends from Cork spent last week end in the Club House and we had a most enjoyable stay. While its difinetly old world it has a certain charm and has the feel of the traditional old Irish hotel about it - the ceiling in the bar/restaurant is wortth a view. We found the staff very friendly and most helpful. The food was excellent with a prompt service and a smile - We will definelty be back soon

Mike from Limerick

1  Thank Loughie54
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This hotel is very cheap and is extremely well located for enjoying Kilkenny. Free parking and car park well of the road. If you out for a night out with the lads and just need a place to rest your head- Brilliant. Rooms clean, bathroom small, but good hot shower. Breakfast was good.

1  Thank Mark_Tipperary
Reviewed 9 October 2011

When we arrived it smelled like a convent, an old damp musty smell, it gets worse in the rooms. We were charged more then we had originally been told.
Arrived at the room to find the cushion on the bed covered in dried in drool.
We stayed for one night and in the morning I caught my foot in a hole under the carpet and twisted my ankle slightly. We informed the manager and he took my details etc. We left and went to the car, half way through the carpark he appeared from the back pointing a camera in my face and making smart remarks like "I see that ankle is grand now isn't it!"
Never been so disgusted in my life, a poor hotel but even worse customer service!

9  Thank Amy C
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This "vintage" (aka old) hotel is extremely well located for enjoying Kilkenny. It's a 5 minute walk to the castle, shopping areas, and night life. They also have a really nice pub and free parking.

The problems here, though, are really bad.

From the moment you walk in you will notice a musty/moldy smell which gets much worse as you move through the hallways to your room. Once inside our room we had to leave the window open to try and air things out and yet I still had to load up on allergy medications to stop sneezing and I actually felt asthmatic after staying 2 nights.

We were a party of 4 and a baby and the unfortunate odd-man out had to sleep on a ancient cot with something akin to plywood supporting part of the mattress. The other beds were quite adequate.

Breakfast was really bad. Scrambled eggs appeared to be prepared from a box. I had the Plaice fish one morning and had to send it back as it didn't taste fresh at all. The Irish breakfast was acceptable if you opted for something besides scrambled, but even then the chef more often than not overcooked the yolks.

The last day we were there, the waitress placed a steaming hot pot of tea right next to where my 9-month old was sitting in his high-chair during breakfast. None of us realized the danger from the placement of the tea. My nanny actually unwittingly poured a cup for my daughter and placed it right back where it came from next to the baby. A few minutes later, the baby grabbed the tea pot and it dumped on top of him. Luckily he wasn't permanently injured, but the management response to the incident was very poor.

The manager refused to believe that the waitress had put my son in danger by placing the pot next to the baby. His reasoning was the waitress raised 5 kids and I guess none of them ever got burned. He believed that my auPair was entirely at fault since she poured a cup and to his thinking must have moved the pot closer to my son. The pot, however, was sitting on a plate in the original spot that the waitress placed it, so I just have no idea where his logic comes from. Accidents happen... I get that. I really just wanted to know that the waitress would be disciplined for her part in the accident. I left without any assurances that would happen.

I will not return here.