“I wouldn't” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 77 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
THE NORTH
“I wouldn't”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

I spent one very uncomfortable and uncared for night here in a downstairs room, looking down the driveway. When the friendly enough owner showed me into the room before teatime it was freezing cold in both temperature and gemutlichheit but looked functional. I wrongly assumed the heating would come on at teatime but returned around 11:30 pm to find it was literally freezing and smelt of damp. Instead of curtains, the wooden venetian didn't close in either direction (then discovered the windows and blind itself had black mould growing on them). There were neither curtains nor blind on the (downstair) bathroom window. The TV reception was verging on too poor to watch and the cobwebs dangling from all over the ceiling were distracting! It was so very cold that I ended up in bed with an improvised bed hat and socks on and mind you, I'm accustomed to a cold enough climate! I would have left at that point,had it not been too late to book in anywhere else. I tried to contact the owner but everything was locked up. An emergency contact no was given in fairness, but my phone was out of juice. Next morning I decided it would be too stressful to me to confront the owner about everything but I did tell him how disappointed I was about the extreme lack of heat. He assured me that the heat had been on and suggested I had turned the radiator off. I work with domestic and industrial heating systems and assured him that he should go and check it with me still there - he did and said it was heating up but could have been hotter. It was freezing cold - either the radiator was broken or there was no heat on in that circuit. He still expected me to pay 35 Euro for the night - so! Just be aware. Also breakfast is served quite late, which means a lot of guests have to leave unfed.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BINKY505

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
zoe17
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

We enjoyed our stay at Castle Lodge. The rooms were very clean and the walk from the B&B into the center of Kilkenny was a pleasant 10 or 15 minutes. Liam, the host, was very helpful in recommending sightseeing in the area. The breakfast was excellent also.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends