“Friendly, convenient and comfy”

The Imperial Hotel, Tralee.
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Delighted we booked this hotel, eu59 b&b. On a Saturday night! Staff are great, it's clean warm central food delist what else could you want. Only the parking is a bit iffy but where isn't it these days? The guys here made sure we got a space tho ... See what I mean when I say the staff are great? Great shopping in Tralee too & right on the doorstop ... We'll be back

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank tez19
imperialhoteltralee, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, Tralee., responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Dear Tez1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent visit and dealings with us here at the Hotel. I am delighted that you chose to stay with us. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused with regard to the parking. Where hotel parking is limited we do always try to get a space as near to the hotel as is possible for our guests.

We do hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again in the future and once again thank you for those kind words.

Best wishes

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I booked this hotel for one night because I wanted to meet up with some people in Tralee. The website stated it had free parking and the hotel was recently refurbished to a very high standard. When my husband and I arrived, we had to drive down a narrow lane, negotiate a very sharp turn to the right and then discovered that the car park was full and the barrier was down. It was twice as difficult to reverse back out of it but we finally managed and had to drive around the town in order to find parking.

On arrival at the hotel, we were handed the key to our room and told how to get to it. As we climbed the stairs, a male voice, possibly the manager, shouted “can I help you?” We felt like we were intruders and so we produced our key and told him we were going to our room. The room was very basic with an old 14” tv which was impossible to watch because the picture was distorted. I had ordered a twin room and the room we were given was a double room but I didn’t mind this. We had a few minutes to spare before meeting our friends so we decided to make some tea. I almost fainted when I saw the state of the inside of the kettle. It was sickening to say the least so we aborted the idea of having any tea in the room.

Having met out friends, we went for a walk through the town looking for somewhere to have a meal and there was a good choice of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and all reasonably priced. Later in the evening we returned to our room in the hotel and realised how cold it was. We weren’t told that we ourselves had to turn on the radiators. We couldn’t use the bathroom because it had a big window with plain glass and just a light net curtain on it, so when the light was on, anybody in the car park below would have a clear view of the bathroom. We ended up having to use the public toilets. Just before bedtime, we went down to the bar where I asked for a latte and my husband had coffee. The latte tasted like it was made from sour milk but the coffee was okay.

After we got ready for bed, I decided to remove the throw as I don’t like to have too many bedclothes on the bed, and then I saw a big hair on the blanket. Obviously the blankets are not cleaned after each guest and this made me very nauseas. Even though I had ear plugs in my ears, I got no sleep that night due to the noise coming from the room next door. There was a lot of banging and moving about and when whoever was next door finally went to bed the snoring coming from the room was just unbelievable. I thought it was my husband who was doing the snoring and I thumped him quite a number of times to waken him. However, at one stage he got up out of the bed and then I realised it was coming from the room beside us. I noticed that when I moved about the room, the snoring was particularly louder from a corner near the window and so I bent down to investigate. It seems that a hole had been drilled in the wall for some pipes and it hadn’t been filled in properly so every sound from the next room sounded like it was in our room.

Breakfast next morning was excellent and almost made up for all the negative things. There was a good selection of juices and cereals as well as fruit and yogurt. There was also a very good breakfast menu to choose from and I was glad I had ordered a mini fry because my plate was laden with so much food I was unable to finish it.

In brief, this is a budget hotel and I suppose you get what you pay for but I don’t think I will be staying here again and I will not be recommending it to any of my friends or family.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Erins-Isle22

Dear Erins-Isle122,

We are grateful that you took the time to write this review. As a family run hotel, we strive to exceed our guests’s expectations by providing first class hospitality. It is only through Guest feedback that we can maintain this.

We at the Imperial Hotel Tralee are delighted with your constructive comments, and please rest assured that your issues have now been corrected. Again, thank you for your feedback and we would like to offer you the chance to return to the Imperial so that you could have the kind of experience which you should have had on your first visit.

We would appreciate if you could contact the Imperial Hotel directly so we that we can discuss your comments fully.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed for 1 night in The Imperial in Tralee over the Christmas period as we were visiting family in the town.

Initial walk-in experience was not good - nobody at reception, and then once there was they couldn't find the booking we had made the day before online. Having waited for about 10 mins somebody came along and booked us in anyway. It turned out the hotel had just reopened that morning and they were getting organised again. To be fair they matched the payment/booking we had made online. And the manager was very pleasant and helpful.

Room was not the best but given the price I guess you can't expect too much. It was a non-smoking room which smelled of stale smoke. The bedding was the old style blanket and throw which I know I (as a female) absolutely abhor due to a disbelief that they are cleaned. There was only 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel in the bathroom for us to share and the bath towel was not clean. Got some additional towels from a drawer in the room (?) But we got on with it. The toilet roll holder fell apart and down the loo!!

We didn't go for the included breakfast the next morning so can't comment on the food - which I have heard is pretty good.

Wouldn't go back here if there was another option in the December timeframe - some of the better hotels are closed at this time each year.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoisinOD

Dear ronypony,

Thank you for offering such constructive feedback following your recent stay, I am dissappointed to read that the bedroom you were allocated for your stay did not meet our standards, I have asked Elizabeth my accomadation manager to ensure that the items listed have been addressed.

I must also apologise that there was not a receptionist at the desk on check in, this is most irregular as we have a strong front of house team which we are often complimented on.

We hope that you will visit Tralee again and we would love to look after you if you can contact us directly.

Joseph McCarthy

We look forward to welcoming you back to Tralee in the future,

Reviewed 29 December 2011

I stayed here for two nights whilst visiting family. The room was nice and it was bright. I did get the room on a special rate though and if I had to pay full price (substantially more than I paid), I would choose somewhere else. It was centrally located as well.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Dear Ibiscuit

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are glad that you had a positive experience during your stay with us. With regard to our rates we have a number of special offers available all year round and endeavour to make sure that our guests recieve the best value possible.

Thanks once again for your comments.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Wireless reception is lousy in roons, bur after all the best thing 30 euros per person can get

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear Mayanr,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on here. We did indeed experience issues with our wireless access which as of January is now working without problems, thankfully.

We look forward to welcoming you to Tralee in the future.