“What a gem!”

Price range: US$15 - US$28
Cuisines: Irish, International
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a family run Restaurant in the heart of Killarney serving local food prepared with an International twist for well over ten years now. We welcome you to Treyvauds and are sure that you will enjoy fantastic fresh food served with a friendly smile. We look forward to seeing you.Paul & Mark Treyvaud and all the team at Treyvauds. We are open seven nights a week
Reviewed 25 March 2017

I'm a ( returning) Killarney native, so I was in no rush to go to Treyvaud's, which locally has the reputation of being highbrow, expensive international food. However, on one adventurous night my friend and I wanted something " different" and we decided to brave Treyvaud's. We went with the expectation that we would be treated to overpriced food that we didn't especially care for, but after all, this was an adventure, wasn't it?
Well, the restaurant was full ( we didn't have reservations) but the very friendly and accommodating staff, after some very brief discussion, found us a table upstairs. It was cosy, with tasteful decoration, comfortable seating, and we didn't feel overcrowded. We then made life more difficult for them by asking for a half portion for my very adult friend ( who had had surgery and was unable to eat a full plate). We were again accommodated readily, without question. I must say, we were warming up. We ordered Tomato soup ( homemade....delicious, mouthwatering!) salmon and fish cakes, followed by Bailey's cheesecake.
The service was efficient without being intrusive, and though we arrived unannounced on a very busy night, we never got the impression that we were being rushed. We were treated as honoured guests, and the server gave the impression that no request would be too much to accommodate. We never had to wait between courses more than the time it took to clear the dishes and ready the table. The server was polite, friendly and was always smiling.
Now, the food. We chose to go with local food.....fish....but was it ever mouth watering! The portions were more than adequate for me, and my friend's " half plate" was really a full plate for which we were charged half. The presentation was colourful and enticing. Time and thought, as well as creative talent, had gone into this. The food itself was delicious, cooked to perfection, and so tasty. Perfection!
Bailey's cheesecake can be a hit or miss choice....but, you got it......this one was creamy, delicious, with just the right hint of Baileys, not overpowering. The perfect end to a perfect evening! I almost forgot to mention that the waiter recommended the most delicious bottle of wine.
So, we went to Treyvaud's expecting to find a stuffy overpriced restaurant with food that was probably iffy, and we had our eyes opened for us! We were not recognized as locals, so that did not influence our treatment. We found a very efficient, well run restaurant that could deal with the unexpected and adapt to accommodate them, as well as providing fresh fish from the Killarney Lakes ( always a bonus) cooked with a continental flair, and to perfection.
I just cannot say enough good things about Treyvauds. It was nothing like I'd expected. I plan to make it a regular visit on my return trips home, and I will keep Trip Advisor appraised of my experiences. As for the price....€ 60 for two, including full meal, wine, desert..... not as all overpriced in my book. I found this reasonable and well worth it. Definitely slightly more than the "Early Bird" specials that can be found at most local restaurants ( usually €25 per person) but so much better. This was a most unexpected surprise and I'm very happy to refine Treyvaud's into one of my best dining experiences. Definitely worth a visit when you are in Killarney, and easy to find, right on the middle of High Street, near the Market Cross.

2  Thank Clionamac1
Treyvauds, Owner at Treyvaud's, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2017

Hi Cliona

Well that is certainly one hell of a review. Now you know not to listen to the rumors!! Delighted you enjoyed the night and your experience with us and even more delighted that we exceeded your expectations!!

Make sure to say hello the next time you are in

Paul Treyvaud

There are newer reviews for Treyvaud's

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

The salad was great as well as the fish cakes. The salmon and Irish meatballs were wonderful. Cheesecake and crumble very good too. Cheesecake was like mousse.

1  Thank Barb D
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

Had an evening meal here on a Tuesday and we wer lucky to get a table ! We shared a starter which was average , bruschetta , I had chicken for mains and it was delicious ; sauce was lovely chicken cooked very well and nice choice of pot and veg . The other half had the steak which I tasted it was very nice tho we both agreed the pepper sauce wasn't 100% to our liking but still nice . Very reasonable, had a starter two mains and a glass of wine for approx €55 .

1  Thank Ronnierox
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

We went to a supper with friends from the UK. All of us were pleased with the food and the prices were reasonable. Definetely will be back. The other reviews are spot on.

2  Thank selinasis
Reviewed 2 March 2017

This restaurant has both an Irish & International menu. Something to suit everyone. It's family run & the staff are so friendly & helpful. They cater to any special needs you might have. It's inexpensive too, so go ahead & treat yourself to lunch or dinner in this great restaurant. You won't regret it.

4  Thank Jacinta R