“Great people, nice experience!” 4 of 5 bubbles

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Grand Rapids, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great people, nice experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2017

Like most we met on our trip to Ireland, everyone that we encountered at the stables was friendly and helpful! They picked us up at our B&B and it was just the two of us for the morning 2 hour ride. Not being very familiar with the area, we weren't sure what we would see on the ride and had probably set expectations too high that we would see some of the Killarney National park highlights (Torc Waterfall, Ross Castle, Ladies View, Gap of Dunloe). Just keep in mind that this is a scenic ride so you're looking at the mountains, lakes, etc from a bit of a distance, and at least on the ride we went on didn't see any of the major stops.

We still had a great time, and I was very impressed with how well trained the horses are! Our trail guide was excellent and the pictures made all our friends very jealous!

1 Thank Ashley J

“Great ride through a beautiful park.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2016

We took our 2 hour ride in December (decidedly off-season) and were lucky enough to get a ride with just the 3 of us in our family. The horses were lovely and well-behaved throughout. The guides were fantastic! Chatted casually throughout the ride, pointing out scenery of interest and some history. We trotted 3 or 4 times ( our legs probably wouldn't have held out for much more). If we're ever in Killarney again, we will revisit the stables for another ride. Just a great time.

Georgia
3 attraction reviews
“Fun Solo Ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2016

I was lucky enough to be the only rider when I visited. The stable was easy to find, neat and organized, well set-up for both horse and rider, and very welcoming. Katrina was my guide. She was experienced, knowledgeable, approachable, friendly, and pleasant. My horse was James, he is a normal trail horse, but a very comfortable ride. Considering his size (16+h), he had a very smooth gait and was rarely pushy. Even in the winter, the ride through the National Park was gorgeous. Do know that it is a trail ride. Riders are not allowed to travel on their own. Experienced riders may not enjoy that, but I have been riding for 30+ yrs. and had a blast! The ride consists of walking, trotting, and cantering through fields, forested areas, and near beautiful sights (cathedral, manor, red deer). They have helmets & boots, so you don't have to bring your own. They also have mounting blocks to help the less flexible, like myself. Overall, a successful venture in a beautiful, friendly business.

santa monica
“You would be better off riding a horse on a carousel!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2016

Riding at Killarney was a complete waste of time and money. I identified myself as a moderately experienced rider having had my own horse and ridden for many years but on a western saddle. The other riders when questioned stated that they were inexperienced. I voiced some concern when I heard that but was told "not to worry" as they would take care of me in the group. It was the worst horsebackriding experience of my life. It took one hour to tack up the horses and get the riders even moving. Horses nose to nose walking on an uninspiring, flat path of fields. Nice view of the loch and mountains in the distance though. Save your money and go elsewhere. Or just go to a merry go round or a carousel.

Visited November 2016
Donie O, Owner at Killarney Riding Stables, responded to this review, 1 December 2016
Hi. Just to set the record straight, what we offer is a scenic trail ride through Killarney National Park. Our scheduled rides are a 2 hour trail ride at 9:30 and 2pm. We then have a 1 hour trail ride at 11:30 and 4:30. All of the other riders pre-booked the trail ride. We received a phone call 30 minutes before the required check in time that you wished to book a trail ride and you were told it was a 11:30 ride and it was a beginner ride. We accepted this last minute booking. We always ask people to check in 45 minutes beforehand to allow for traffic delays etc.

Due to a review of our security cameras, we were able to determine that you first walked into the office at 10:55. The 2nd group of scheduled riders arrived 5 minutes later at 11am. The 3rd group of scheduled riders appeared at 11:15. Everyone was assessed about their riding ability and mounted on suitable horses. The first horse was mounted at 11:27 and the guide instructed you to mount your horse just a couple of minutes later at 11:36. There were 9 riders altogether and all of the riders and the 3 guides were mounted within 20 minutes with the ride leaving by 11:50, which would be the average time the ride would leave the yard. (There was no delay whatsoever in preparing the horses as they were already prepared before you arrived).

After about 10 minutes into the ride, in the guides report, you didn't appear to have control of your reins and allowing the horse to graze which was disrupting the ride in a manner that would be likely to cause an accident.

With regards to the scenery and terrain in the park, have a look at Killarney.ie, the town in the park. It will give a view of where we ride with the horses.
Denver, Colorado
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Can I rate it ten stars?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2016

Really nice stables with a ton of horses conveniently located near downtown. Horses for different riding levels. They have boots and helmets for you. We did the 2 hour ride on part of the Ring of Kerry. I have never been anywhere so beautiful.... it looked like a picture! We rode through blackberry bushes and were able to eat some on the ride. Our group got to trot which is rare in the US on a group ride. The best ride I have ever had and one of my best memories of the trip!

Visited October 2016