“Great ride through a beautiful park.”

Killarney Riding Stables
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 19 December 2016

We took our 2 hour ride in December (decidedly off-season) and were lucky enough to get a ride with just the 3 of us in our family. The horses were lovely and well-behaved throughout. The guides were fantastic! Chatted casually throughout the ride, pointing out scenery of interest and some history. We trotted 3 or 4 times ( our legs probably wouldn't have held out for much more). If we're ever in Killarney again, we will revisit the stables for another ride. Just a great time.

Reviewed 14 December 2016

I was lucky enough to be the only rider when I visited. The stable was easy to find, neat and organized, well set-up for both horse and rider, and very welcoming. Katrina was my guide. She was experienced, knowledgeable, approachable, friendly, and pleasant. My horse was James, he is a normal trail horse, but a very comfortable ride. Considering his size (16+h), he had a very smooth gait and was rarely pushy. Even in the winter, the ride through the National Park was gorgeous. Do know that it is a trail ride. Riders are not allowed to travel on their own. Experienced riders may not enjoy that, but I have been riding for 30+ yrs. and had a blast! The ride consists of walking, trotting, and cantering through fields, forested areas, and near beautiful sights (cathedral, manor, red deer). They have helmets & boots, so you don't have to bring your own. They also have mounting blocks to help the less flexible, like myself. Overall, a successful venture in a beautiful, friendly business.

Reviewed 18 November 2016

Riding at Killarney was a complete waste of time and money. I identified myself as a moderately experienced rider having had my own horse and ridden for many years but on a western saddle. The other riders when questioned stated that they were inexperienced. I voiced some concern when I heard that but was told "not to worry" as they would take care of me in the group. It was the worst horsebackriding experience of my life. It took one hour to tack up the horses and get the riders even moving. Horses nose to nose walking on an uninspiring, flat path of fields. Nice view of the loch and mountains in the distance though. Save your money and go elsewhere. Or just go to a merry go round or a carousel.

Donie O, Owner at Killarney Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2016

Hi. Just to set the record straight, what we offer is a scenic trail ride through Killarney National Park. Our scheduled rides are a 2 hour trail ride at 9:30 and 2pm. We then have a 1 hour trail ride at 11:30 and 4:30. All of the other riders pre-booked the trail ride. We received a phone call 30 minutes before the required check in time that you wished to book a trail ride and you were told it was a 11:30 ride and it was a beginner ride. We accepted this last minute booking. We always ask people to check in 45 minutes beforehand to allow for traffic delays etc.

Due to a review of our security cameras, we were able to determine that you first walked into the office at 10:55. The 2nd group of scheduled riders arrived 5 minutes later at 11am. The 3rd group of scheduled riders appeared at 11:15. Everyone was assessed about their riding ability and mounted on suitable horses. The first horse was mounted at 11:27 and the guide instructed you to mount your horse just a couple of minutes later at 11:36. There were 9 riders altogether and all of the riders and the 3 guides were mounted within 20 minutes with the ride leaving by 11:50, which would be the average time the ride would leave the yard. (There was no delay whatsoever in preparing the horses as they were already prepared before you arrived).

After about 10 minutes into the ride, in the guides report, you didn't appear to have control of your reins and allowing the horse to graze which was disrupting the ride in a manner that would be likely to cause an accident.

With regards to the scenery and terrain in the park, have a look at Killarney.ie, the town in the park. It will give a view of where we ride with the horses.

Reviewed 3 November 2016

Really nice stables with a ton of horses conveniently located near downtown. Horses for different riding levels. They have boots and helmets for you. We did the 2 hour ride on part of the Ring of Kerry. I have never been anywhere so beautiful.... it looked like a picture! We rode through blackberry bushes and were able to eat some on the ride. Our group got to trot which is rare in the US on a group ride. The best ride I have ever had and one of my best memories of the trip!

2  Thank indieannabish
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

I highly recommend taking time out to go for a ride at the Killarney riding stables. I happened to be driving past, and their paddock and barn caught my eye.
I made a quick stop and talked to a nice young gal who gave me all the information I needed. The very next morning I was out on a two hour trail ride. My guide was a terrific young lady who patiently answered all my questions about Ireland and her home town. Of course being on a horse in a national park with incredible views of the lake and mountains and trees in full fall colors could not be outdone.
The mare I rode was perfectly suited for my ability. She was very responsive and fun to ride. I consider myself a novice even though I work at a horse ranch and had a horse growing up. Back home I ride bareback or Western. This ride was in a English saddle which I have had less experience with. Communication was key. I was always asked if I wanted to trot or canter beforehand and away we'd go. I did not bring a camera with me although I think my guide would've stopped at any point. My advice take a camera. Happy trails.