“Excellent Value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Cork, Ireland
“Excellent Value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I've stayed in this hotel more than any other in the country - at least once a year for the last 10 years or more. My latest trip was for 4 nights in late January which included 3 evening meals and I could find no fault with any of the meals. Also,free entertainment was provided nightly for guests at an exceptionally good price.

Some of the latest reviewers have described a hotel that I certainly don't recognise. O.K,. so some of the rooms are a little dated but I am aware that a refurbishment programme is currently underway and I look forward to my next visit. I have never found the hotel other than spotless.

I'm also surprised to see comment(s) that the management have an uncaring attitude to problems. One one occasion a numberof years age we did encounter a number of issues which I pointed out, admittedly in a strongly worded letter, when leaving, and I was plesantly surprised to receive a communication from the hotel a short time later thanking me for bringing the matters to their attention, together with an apology for the standards encountered on that trip. I was delighted to note that matters had been rectified on my return visit, and have remained so since.

Considering the number of people we regulary come accross over and over again I'm sure that most people are well satisfied with what the Gleneagle has to offer.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SteveOC_9
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
I just want to say how grateful we are to you for taking the time out to post this very honest and genuine review. It is indeed very difficult to read such negative reviews sometimes especially when you know there are thousands of customers that leave here having had a wonderful stay.

I speak with sometimes hundreds of people on a weekly basis that are always so happy with every aspect of their stay here at the Gleneagle. I have got to know personally a lot of people who come to visit as many as 4 or 5 times a year !!!

It is very disheartening when we get some very negative reviews, but we are very confident in the fact that we know there are lots of customers like yourself who thoroughly enjoy coming to stay here and who appreciate what we have to offer.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review, we are delighted and I will share with all the team here.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Polish first
Athlone, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed in the Glen Eagle Killarney hotel on 9th March for 3 nights with my 2 young daughters attending the National Variety Show competition. When we checked into our room there was bad smell of cigarettes and also the room had not been cleaned properly. I felt this was a poor start to our stay and at the very least thought our room should be presentable to us. I went to reception to complain and they said they would look into it. I expected to perhaps to be given another room and an apology. However a can of air freshener was left into the room. This was hardly the reaction I was hoping for and thought it was extremely unprofessional.

It was a bad start to our stay and frankly things did not improve. We found the food in the hotel to be a poor standard. Showers in the leisure centre did not work. Towels in the room were paper thin. Overall we did not enjoy our experience. I thought the GlenEagle had a good reputation but to be honest i can only compare our experience to a very poor travel hotel.

I have noticed that management have responded to other people poor comments with reactions like "don't always believe what you read". I did however leave a comment card with my feedback and up to now they have not responded. Perhaps they only reply to comments left on sites like this.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank dubath
Dear Guests,

As Guest Relations Manager of the Gleneagle Hotel, I would like to express my concerns over your experience while staying with us. This is not a regular occurrence here and one in which I would like to investigate further.

All ore rooms are Non Smoking in the Hotel however it is unfortunate that some customers choose to ignore this policy and leave a room smelling of smoke. I cannot understand how the room was not clean when you arrived as we are normally very strict about customers not getting the keys for their rooms until the Housekeeper has confirmed that it has been checked.

I wish to apologise for the fact that Reception, on this occasion did not offer you a different room to move to, I will highlight this comment with them and raise the issue with the Front Office Manager.

Should you wish to contact me directly to discuss these issues with me, I would be delighted to speak to you and get your details and should you have the occasion to visit us in the future I will personally ensure that you are looked after better and will make sure you are happy with your room and leave with a more positive outlook on the Gleneagle Hotel.
Sincere apologies again and thank you for raising this issues.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed in the river apartments with four friends for the Poker festival in Late September .
The rooms were very clean and comfortable . The fridge was stocked with milk and other essentials like homemade brown bread which was a nice add on we did not expect.
We had full use of the hotel which had a nice pool and spa.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank DamienMcD
Special thanks to this trip advisor member for your lovely comments on our Gleneagle Riverside Apartments.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back

Many Thanks
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and I enjoyed an ulsterbus trip to this hotel for a country and Western trip. We had a great time, brilliant value for money. The room was spotless, the food was excellent and the staff, especially bedroom, bar and dining room could not have been better. We found the staff in reception a bit remote but really helpful when approached. Two things we would just mention, the communal areas were quite cold and also we would have loved to see the open fires kept well lit with, perhaps, a big log. The leisure centre swimming pool was also a real treat, a spin dryer would have been a welcome extra even if coin operated. Pity the jacuzzi was out of action. We had a great time and we would definitely return in the future

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dorothy C
Dear Guests

I would like to thank you on behalf of all our team here at the Gleneagle for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and with the Ulsterbus Tours for the Country Music Festival and I’m sure you are aware of the thousands of people that visit us throughout the year with the Ulsterbus tours we run from Belfast & Derry.

I have got to know so many customers that travel regularly with the Ulsterbus tours and love to see all the familiar faces returning, it’s like seeing Friends return…

Sometimes we can have up to 7 Coaches here with Ulsterbus especially for the Christmas Craicer breaks that run from November to December. They are always a big hit and we have a Gala Dinner on one night that always is a huge success.

It is unfortunate that the Jacuzzi was out of order during your stay, we were waiting for a new part that make the Bubbles work to arrive, I am glad to say it’s back in action now, so hopefully is you decide to return you will get to use it next time and make the most of it. If you do, be sure and make yourself known to me, I like to put faces to people and once again sincere thanks for taking the time to make your review on Trip Advisor.

Guest Relations Manager.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We stayed here on 5th and 6th of March 2012. Although it is an old hotel, the rooms and corridors had been newly refurbished, the hotel in its entirety was spotless and service was faultless. We stayed in a Suite on the 5th Floor which was very comfortable with beautiful views. We had our 2 year old son with us and the staff were all very accommodating. The hotel is only 5-10 mins drive from killarney town and about an hour from Dingle. We had breakfasts and one dinner in the hotel itself and the food was lovely and served without any delay. The one thing I would suggest would be that the beds should have Duvets rather than Throws as it got cold during the night but other than that I honestly couldnt find any fault at all in the hotel or staff and will definitely be staying here for many years to come and will recommend this hotel to anyone travelling with a young family and looking for a family orientated place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank coneill80
Dear Guests,

It is such a pleasure to read such balanced and honest opinions voiced on Trip Advisor. We are truly delighted that your family had a great holiday and experienced what the Gleneagle is all about….

I would like to complement you on putting their your opinion across in such a fair and rational manner. I am delighted you highlighted the Food & Service in the Restaurant and that you enjoyed your meals.

We are very grateful and many Thanks for taking the time to write your positive feedback. We certainly look forward to welcoming you in the future and that you continue to enjoy your holidays with us.